The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
GeorgeLeonard

1953 solenoid wiring

I used the search function and even downloaded the free wiring diagram that is available online. Still, I cant figure out the wiring because the letters and abbreviations are so small I have difficulty seeing them. Maybe someome can help me out. Other than the cable connected to the battery, I have what looks like a pink wire and a black cloth wire with a tracer marking attached to my solenoid. I know one should go to the ignition switch and one should go to the coil. But I cant tell which is which? Im thinking the pink one goes to the ignition switch, right?

And if I connect the pink one to an energy source, it should activate the starter motor? Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

GeorgeLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
GeorgeLeonard

Re: 1953 solenoid wiring

36 views and no help on this one? Come on guys. I know I can count on you. Am I not phrasing this question in an understandable way?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Rude Dude

I dont have a 53 but this is on the net

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com.../53csn1112.jpg
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
GeorgeLeonard

Yep, wish I could read it. Thanks anyway.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Bobb

Hy GeorgeLeonard, if your 53 is not an automatic transmission equipped one, then it did not come with a starter solenoid. If your truck is using a stock six volt system then it does not use a resistor bypass wire. Please let us know what system you are using and what parts you are working with.
Bobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
_Ogre

can't tell from the colors but it's easy to figure out, you really can't burn anything out by hooking it up wrong.
you should be able to to trace the wire to the coil, the other should be your ignition.
2 choices: hook them up and try it, if no crank, switch them.
or jumper the starter to turn over them motor and hook your ignition to that screw.

like i said; you won't hurt anything if you hook it up backwards. it just won't start.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
oldcouple

To view it larger, download and save it, then open it and hold the left control button down while using your scroll button to enlarge it.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
GeorgeLeonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
Hy GeorgeLeonard, if your 53 is not an automatic transmission equipped one, then it did not come with a starter solenoid. If your truck is using a stock six volt system then it does not use a resistor bypass wire. Please let us know what system you are using and what parts you are working with.
Welp, its not an automatic- of that I am sure. But I just got the truck and have not yet been able to start it. I honestly dont know if its set up to run with 12 volts or six since no battery came with it. But it doesnt really matter since Im going to set it up as 12 volt anyway. The starter and solenoid looks like your standard Chevy starter/solenoid combination- solenoid setting on top of the starter as usual with a battery cable attached (assume positive) and two lighter smaller wires attached. One should be attached to the ignition switch for starting. But which one?- the black cloth covered one or the one that appears pink to me.

I downloaded the free electrical diagram that was online and even printed it out as suggested. I used a magnifying glass but still cant figure out which wire is which. Reading schematic drawings was never easy for me. Looking at the wires under the hood does not help since they both disappear into wire bundles covered with tape. And nothing attached to the ignition switch or coil is black cloth covered or pink.

If someone could look at the wiring diagram and tell me what colors of wire should be attached to the solenoid (only two). that would be a great help. Im thinking the pink one is attached to the ignition switch and that is the wire I am looking for. Maybe the wire is only pink because its faded? The wire on my '66 is purple. Can purple fade to pink?

I feel as if I am making a mountain out of a mole hill here especially since Ogre says it really doesnt make much difference. If I hook the wrong one up, it just wont start. But my gut tells me it wont start anyway with either one and then Ill be back to square one.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Bobb

Hy GeorgeLeonard, the inboard (closest to the engine block) terminal is the one which activates the starter, the outboard terminal is the one that the resistor bypass wire is connected to. Obviously your truck is a heavily modified one, so I don't think original wiring colour codes will be of much help, the colour of the original solenoid activation wire is purple.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
GeorgeLeonard

Smile Re: 1953 solenoid wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
Hy GeorgeLeonard, the inboard (closest to the engine block) terminal is the one which activates the starter, the outboard terminal is the one that the resistor bypass wire is connected to. Obviously your truck is a heavily modified one, so I don't think original wiring colour codes will be of much help, the colour of the original solenoid activation wire is purple.
So the one Im looking for is the one closer to the block. Thanks for the help. Now to give it a try. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
GeorgeLeonard

Just to wind this up, the wire closest to the engine block was the one I was looking for. When I cut and stripped it, I found it was purple and not "pink" as I originally thought. That insulation was so tough from age and heat, I could hardly cut through it even with a razor blade.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
pinecrest

And did it start? Hows it going?
Posted via Mobile Device
pinecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
GeorgeLeonard

Well, my mission that day was just to get the engine spinning. I havent had the truck very long and the motor seemed to be stuck. I used a lot of Marvel Mystery oil and then a pry bar on the flywheel. That seemed to work. I used a 12 volt battery and that motor spun over so fast with the spark plugs out that I wasnt sure what was happening! lol Anyway, mission accomplished. Starting will have to wait for another day.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
GeorgeLeonard

My friend asked me if all the Marvel Mystery Oil came spitting out the the spark plug holes when I spun it over. I had to honestly answer no, it didnt. He takes that as a bad sign that all the rings must be stuck and consequently the motor will have no compression. He advised me to stop right there and look for a replacement motor. What do you guys think? Replacement motor or replacement friend? Im not inclined to giving up on it just yet. Id like to get it started and go from there. Of course it goes without saying that I also dont like throwing good money after bad. What to do?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
_Ogre

the oil would have gone to the rings, it would take a lot to get it back out the spark plug holes.
any excess would be in the oil pan, even if it was puddled on top of the piston, it wouldn't come out the plug holes.
do a compression test, that would be the easy thing to do.
easier would be to pour some gas down the carb and start it.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Geri

Hello everybody!

First: Excuse me, my english is not very well itīs, supported by google translate

My question is: Have anyone an wiring diagram in a better quality as the one of Rude Dude and may to give it to me? I want to print in on a DIN A3.

Thanks for help

Geri from Bavaria/Germany
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Bobb

Hy Geri, I'm not sure that we can get a better diagram than that one, that is a copy directly from the maintenance manual. You could print it out as is, and take it to a copy shop, to have it enlarged and formated the way you require, hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
booger1949

ogre not to say anything bad at all but i do believe your not rite on that, the oil should have shot out the spark plug holes if the rings r anygood, that the oil didnt shot out tells me that the rings r probably broke r wore out. sorry to tell u george but i would still do a compression check
booger1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
Russell Ashley

It depends on how much oil he put into each cylinder. If not much it probably wouldn't have squirted out. If it were me I'd still try to start it up. There's something about hearing an old engine run again even if it smokes and knocks. If the rings are stuck it could smooth out after running for a while after warming it up.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
GeorgeLeonard

Just to update everyone, I am still trying but having a heck of a time. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. Im still "fine tuning" my approach and I am not yet out of ideas. But Im beginning to wonder if it will ever start and how it will run if it ever does. At least I dont need the truck to get to work. I have never had this much trouble so I guess that Ive been pretty lucky so far. The timing procedure alone blew my mind.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #21
Geri

Thank you Bobb. Now i take pencil and a big Paper and try to paint it by myself

Hope that it will no picasso
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
GeorgeLeonard

For anyone who may still be interested, I was finally able to get my truck started and running today. There were a lot of items that kept it from starting but the major breakthrough was figuring out that the rotor was 180 degrees out. That, combined with a used carburetor from another running vehicle got things perking in short order. It actually runs better than I thought it would so thanks to all those people who encouraged me to keep at it. My next project will be to put it in gear and let the clutch out- maybe tomorrow after the morning rain lets up.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #23
solidaxel

If it were mine, the next item I would make SURE the brakes work !!!!!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote