The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Rusty one

Newbee with some questions

Getting ready to buy a 63 C-10 short bed.First time owner of these trucks.. Not sure why these trucks are named different (fleetside,stepside). It already has been lowered front & rear and it has a disc brake 6 lug set up with new brake lines & hoses. My question is...I noticed some rot under one of the doors,I know no one makes replacement doors (except the skin) Id like to swap the door for a good used one....Is 63 the only year that will fit,or will other years fit too?..
Rusty one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
big_rig

Re: Newbee with some questions

I believe 63-66 should be the same. LMC truck has a LOT of parts for these trucks. You could build one from scratch from their catalog. Their prices seem to have gone up lately shipping up here to Canada but its always nice working with new parts if your budget allows.
Posted via Mobile Device
big_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_rig View Post
I believe 63-66 should be the same. LMC truck has a LOT of parts for these trucks. You could build one from scratch from their catalog. Their prices seem to have gone up lately shipping up here to Canada but its always nice working with new parts if your budget allows.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the reply..I'll check em out
Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

The '60-'63 doors are interchangeable. If all you have is a small rust issue, I would just fix the door you have. There are some patch panels available for reapiring rusted doors. There are several vendors that have those, such as Mikes Bump and Grind, Top Banana Parts, Classic Parts, just to name a few. The chances of finding a better door are slim these days.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
losthope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty one View Post
Not sure why these trucks are named different (fleetside,stepside).
if you look at different members trucks you'll notice some beds have steps on the sides with a smaller box....these are called "stepside"

the ones that are just a reg. bed are called "fleetside"

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthope View Post
if you look at different members trucks you'll notice some beds have steps on the sides with a smaller box....these are called "stepside"

the ones that are just a reg. bed are called "fleetside"
OK that clears that up thankyou...Can I ask....is it possible to put a step side bed on a fleetside truck? Is it a bolt up process?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Welcome to the forum

The '60-'63 doors are interchangeable. If all you have is a small rust issue, I would just fix the door you have. There are some patch panels available for reapiring rusted doors. There are several vendors that have those, such as Mikes Bump and Grind, Top Banana Parts, Classic Parts, just to name a few. The chances of finding a better door are slim these days.
Thankyou Capt...will be getting to you somewhere in the near future for your power steering plate...Will check out those vendors for patch panels...guess it would be cheaper & easier..........time to break out the welder!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
koda360

Quote:
OK that clears that up thankyou...Can I ask....is it possible to put a step side bed on a fleetside truck? Is it a bolt up process?
May not be a direct "bolt on" but swapping a fleet bed for a step, or visa versa is pretty straight forward. Main thing you gotta know is if its a short bed or long bed.....
1984 Big Bronco
2002 Durango SLT (Bride's Ride)
koda360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
1963c-10

Quote:
Thanks for the reply..I'll check em out
I have to disagree with this. You cannot build a 60-66 from a parts catalog. Especially if your using Chinese reproduction parts that will not match up. Your best bet is to go OEM or NOS. Hit the scrap yards and craigslist up for parts. There are a ton of old parts out there for a margin of the cost of reproduction and the fitment issues are not there. The chinese reproductions are very poor quality and you will find alot of problems with alot of the parts. There are plenty of threads here to support this. The parts are overpriced and under quality. Sometimes they are your only option for some things. I would only suggest going to the catalogs for parts that are not obtainable or parts that are generic...ie...wiring, bed wood, etc...Do some research on what your looking for, hit up the classifieds. You will find alot of people only resort to the catalogs as a last resort. Also...60-63 cabs/doors are interchangeable and 64-66 cabs/doors are interchangeable.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
I have to disagree with this. You cannot build a 60-66 from a parts catalog. Especially if your using Chinese reproduction parts that will not match up. Your best bet is to go OEM or NOS. Hit the scrap yards and craigslist up for parts. There are a ton of old parts out there for a margin of the cost of reproduction and the fitment issues are not there. The chinese reproductions are very poor quality and you will find alot of problems with alot of the parts. There are plenty of threads here to support this. The parts are overpriced and under quality. Sometimes they are your only option for some things. I would only suggest going to the catalogs for parts that are not obtainable or parts that are generic...ie...wiring, bed wood, etc...Do some research on what your looking for, hit up the classifieds. You will find alot of people only resort to the catalogs as a last resort. Also...60-63 cabs/doors are interchangeable and 64-66 cabs/doors are interchangeable.
Thankyou for the info.. If any one knows where I can find some rust free doors (60-63) please let me know...Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

This guy north of you has alot of trucks perhaps you could call him. LINK
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=picture
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
This guy north of you has alot of trucks perhaps you could call him. LINK
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=picture
WOW....Thanks will check him out..It's a ride but I'm sure I'll be like a kid in a candy store..