The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
lil hoodlum

Question Question about wheel bearings.

I have a question that hopefully a few people will know the answer to.

I was checking my wheel bearings the other day. Grabbing the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock there is the tiniest amount of play. No play at 3 & 9 o'clock and the wheel does not move in or out at all.

How much freeplay is acceptable?

I'm sure the answer is probably no freeplay but I thought I would ask the experts before I take everything apart to re-pack the wheel bearings.

Thank you!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: Question about wheel bearings.

Sounds like your good. Bearings, ball joints at 6 and 12. Steering at 9 and 3. When was the last time they had any attention? I would jack the lower arm up to take tension off the bjs to check them but it sounds like you are ok. If you have any questions and some down time take it apart just to check the color/condition of the grease and redo if you aint comfortable.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
lil hoodlum

I grease the ball joints, tie rods, control arm shafts, and related steering equipment at least 2 times a year. I don't know why, I just like to make sure everything is greased up.

Well now, the wheel bearings I last serviced 3 or 4 years ago. I really don't like taking everything apart.

How often should I repack the wheel bearings?

Again thank you!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
RexDodge

I usually pack mine once a year irregardless of miles. It depends on how many miles you put on your vehicle. Some may pack them every 20,000 miles. Also depends on what type of use. When you pull them apart just wipe them off with a rag and check for any scoring, scuffs or other signs of wear. Do not wash them off in solvent or other cleaner. It is not needed. If you see signs of any discoloration on the rollers or cage (or scuffs) toss em and get new bearings/races. You can pick up a bearing packer cheap or just do them in your palm. Push good grease in from the edges of the cage until it is full. If the grease is not really old don't worry about the grease in the hub. I never wipe this out. I just make sure I have a little excess in there but not too much. It will just make a mess all over your wheels once it heats up. When you put it back together be sure to pre load the bearing. Do this but tightening the nut (holding the bearings in) while spinning the rotor (or drum). Tighten until there is noted resistance (the spinning will begin to slow) and then back off the nut maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 turn until the nut lines up with a slot for hour cotter pin. Should be perfect! As the last post said, check the faq section. There should be a good detailed write up.
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
cdowns

i always use synthetic wheel bearing grease for the lower resistance to friction which results in lower temps and easier rolling and better gas mileage in the long run
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote