The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
kwin

Inline pump question

I was planing to use a inline pump for my up comming 6.0 swap but I read an article in one of the truck mags and they claim that the inline pumps are notoriously un-reliable.
Any thoughts or experience to support or disprove this statement?

Thanks
keith
Posted via Mobile Device
kwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
ls1nova71

Re: Inline pump question

They're less reliable than an intank pump, but they are easier to change!

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I think there are several designs...seems like one of them would be fairly reliable?
I had a low pressure A/C-Carter pump for carb'd and it was noisy. New Walbro hi pressure pump for efi is much quieter...hoping it lasts too.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Which truck mag did you read that in? The tech in car and truck mags has to be read with a fine toothed comb, as much of their "fact" comes simply from opinion or "accepted consensus" . In line pumps are in cases, less reliable than in-tank pumps, but alot of that has to do with the setup.
Often in-line pumps are mounted too high or too far away from the sump or pickup, which means the pump works harder and isn't being cooled by the fuel. In tanks get the benefit of being submersed. FWIW, I can change the in-line of my truck in prob, 10 minutes or less....it takes me longer than that to drop a tank.
PErformance is also a concern; it doesn't take much to swap to a larger inline, or running twin pumps. While that can be done in tank, its a bit more effort.

The 255lph type pumps from walborough (or whoever makes the same piece for jegs, summit and everyone else), are better at drawing than many others, and a single will support a 6L without much isse.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
19seventeeCustom

^^good to hear, I'm about to install a external Walboro to feed my
cam only LS1......just don't wanna burn the pump up.
19seventeeCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Daaaanz67

I've got one for my conversion. I just made sure the pump was primed before I put power to it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Daaaanz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
kwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Which truck mag did you read that in? The tech in car and truck mags has to be read with a fine toothed comb, as much of their "fact" comes simply from opinion or "accepted consensus" . In line pumps are in cases, less reliable than in-tank pumps, but alot of that has to do with the setup.
Often in-line pumps are mounted too high or too far away from the sump or pickup, which means the pump works harder and isn't being cooled by the fuel. In tanks get the benefit of being submersed. FWIW, I can change the in-line of my truck in prob, 10 minutes or less....it takes me longer than that to drop a tank.
PErformance is also a concern; it doesn't take much to swap to a larger inline, or running twin pumps. While that can be done in tank, its a bit more effort.

The 255lph type pumps from walborough (or whoever makes the same piece for jegs, summit and everyone else), are better at drawing than many others, and a single will support a 6L without much isse.
It was Street Trucks, the articlle about installing an ls in a 50's Ford.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I'm not saying they are giving false info, but the truth is mag's often sacrifice properly sourced or checked information, in favor of higher volumes of "vanilla" tech and features.

Reliability can also come down to a question of experience; how many cars got a bad wrap for "poor reliability" because the owners refused to spend the time and money to properly operate them.
Great example, the E30 M3. In the mid 80's BMW was using a 2.5L 4 banger that made almost 235 hp, a good amount of push for the time, and even more so to be done from a 4cyl.
The issue? They need valve jobs every 15k.
The result? People who were willing to do the work loved the car for the handling, and power it could deliver as well as its attractive styling. The people who "just bought it cuz it was fast" or "just bought it because its a BMW" ended up making the car a leper.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
kwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I'm not saying they are giving false info, but the truth is mag's often sacrifice properly sourced or checked information, in favor of higher volumes of "vanilla" tech and features.

Reliability can also come down to a question of experience; how many cars got a bad wrap for "poor reliability" because the owners refused to spend the time and money to properly operate them.
Great example, the E30 M3. In the mid 80's BMW was using a 2.5L 4 banger that made almost 235 hp, a good amount of push for the time, and even more so to be done from a 4cyl.
The issue? They need valve jobs every 15k.
The result? People who were willing to do the work loved the car for the handling, and power it could deliver as well as its attractive styling. The people who "just bought it cuz it was fast" or "just bought it because its a BMW" ended up making the car a leper.
Well said, I was looking for experienced opinions, I think I got a good answer.

Thanks