The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Fogline69

Help - new guy with post accident leak

Hi Everyone,

So, we were taking our second voyage in our "new" 69 C30 when someone was unable to stop the truck and ended up in a creekbed, sideways with a ton of grapes strapped on the back of the truck. We finally got it pulled out, but it wouldn't start. The tow truck guy said he thought it had vapor lock as it would not turn over and the engine seemed to be almost in gear when attempting to start, rocking in its mounts.

This was yesterday. Today I went out and found it turned over so got it started. When I did, lots of smoke came out of the exhaust. Also, when I opened the hood, there was a leak coming from the front of the engine. It seemed to be oil, but I was not sure. I checked the oil level and it seems quite high.

As I just got the truck in the last month, I haven't really gone through the whole thing. Mainly we cleaned it up a bit and slapped some new tires on it. Not too sure about the brakes at this point, but this significant leak has me worried.

BTW - 350 w a 4 speed.

Thanks for any help/advice you can all provide. Got some great help on my carb. issue a couple of weeks back.
Fogline69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Help - new guy with post accident leak

Sounds like something overfilled the crankcase.Don't run it.It may be water or coolant,neither are good lubricants.You may have gotten water from the creek in it or it may be fuel(another poor lubricant).If the crankcase is full of water you could have a bad head gasket,a cracked block or just water from the creek.You should be able to tell if it's fuel by pulling the dipstick and smelling it.Let us know what you find.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Fogline69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Sounds like something overfilled the crankcase.Don't run it.It may be water or coolant,neither are good lubricants.You may have gotten water from the creek in it or it may be fuel(another poor lubricant).If the crankcase is full of water you could have a bad head gasket,a cracked block or just water from the creek.You should be able to tell if it's fuel by pulling the dipstick and smelling it.Let us know what you find.
Yeah - it is not water. The creek is dry. Wondering if it could be fuel mixed in the oil. If it is over-filled, could that cause the leak. Looks like it is coming out under the water pump or? I am pretty much a newbie on working on these things. Changed a starter on my 72 a long time ago. I have also changed the fuel pump on my 65 mustang. And of course, fluids. Planning on doing most of the work myself on this old girl since there doesn't seem to be much to it.

So - guessing I should drain the oil as a starting point. Recommendations on oil weight? Not sure if is exactly smells like fuel right now as everything kind of smells like oil and gas.

Thanks
Brent
Old 09-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

It wasn't vapor lock, that's when the fuel vaporizes and the starter will crank the engine, but the engine won't start.

You probably meant hydro-lock, which is liquid in one or more cylinders and the engine won't crank over. If the oil is over-filled, that can cause a leak -- especially if the extra liquid is thinner than oil, such as water or fuel. You say it's not water, so -- does it smell like gasoline? You need to know if you're dealing with a water leak, an oil leak, or a fuel leak. And if the oil is overfilled, what is mixed in with it? And where did it come from?

Yes, drain the oil, and try to figure out what's in it. I'd replace it with straight 30W or with 10W-30.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Timing cover is behind and lower than the water pump and can leak oil.
Posted via Mobile Device
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

When you say "sideways" in the creek... do you mean the truck rolled over onto it's side? If so... oil very well coul dhave got into the upper part of the cylinder causing a bit more comression, and a crapload of white smoke when it is restarted.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
SS Tim

Sounds like your trucks needs some basic service. When you had the issue with carb. did you ever check the oil for contamination? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=541348
When the wheels were changed did you check the brake system? Anytime you get a "new" vehicle it should be gone through to set a baseline and identify needed maintance items. This is especially true on vehicles that have been sitting or seem to be at the end of their service life. If you don't have the manuals (both factory chassis service and chassis overhaul), think about getting reprints or a CD as they will be helpful.
At this point it sounds like there wasn't much damaged or anyone hurt. Do everyone a favor and fix what "needs" to be fixed and plan out the items that should be fixed.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If you have a Q-Jet, they're prone to leakage and it will pool in the intake and leak past the valves. It'll wash the oil off of the cylinders and collect in the crankcase. Not good.

Not saying this is what you have, but just making a comment. Does your oil smell like gasoline?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Fogline69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
It wasn't vapor lock, that's when the fuel vaporizes and the starter will crank the engine, but the engine won't start.

You probably meant hydro-lock, which is liquid in one or more cylinders and the engine won't crank over. If the oil is over-filled, that can cause a leak -- especially if the extra liquid is thinner than oil, such as water or fuel. You say it's not water, so -- does it smell like gasoline? You need to know if you're dealing with a water leak, an oil leak, or a fuel leak. And if the oil is overfilled, what is mixed in with it? And where did it come from?

Yes, drain the oil, and try to figure out what's in it. I'd replace it with straight 30W or with 10W-30.
Yes - Hydro-lock was what he said.

I suspect that it is fuel in the oil. The leaking seemed to be oily but thin.

Also- I suspect it is coming out of the timing shaft area and getting sprayed around a bit. Hoping that the problem will resolve with proper fill levels and correct lubricant. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

AFA the brakes - I was told by the PO that the rears had been rebuilt recently. I think the problem was the guy driving the truck is used to modern power brakes and probably put his foot to the floor instead of pumping them. Also, he may have been going a bit fast for the load. I had driven the truck with a couple of tons of rock on the back 2 days earlier and noticed that going downhill with a load would be best in low gear, taking it very easy so I could stop.

AFA was the truck on its side - it was pretty dang close. There was a tree holding it up by one of the bins of fruit that kept it from rolling. I think it was at about a 75 degree angle on its side. Very exciting for my buddy driving it, who was hanging in mid-air by a lap belt.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

It's probably fuel in the oil judging by the 75* angle comment.Drain and refill.The seal on the timing cover probably leaked when it overfilled.The brakes should not need to be pumped.Something is wrong.Check fluid levels and check inside of all wheels/hubs for fluid.If you don't find fluid check the drums/shoes,then master Cylinder.Don't rely on the PO for info.I've seen a "Bunch" of "spray can" Rebuilds on engines.Clean and paint and it's rebuilt?Judge this 40 year old vehicle by the old sayin',"Believe only what you see and be cautious about that."
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
terry b

I'm glad you dont live by me. Hate to get run over by that pos.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
I'm glad you dont live by me. Hate to get run over by that pos.
terry b
perhaps you should review the site rules posted globally

Quote:
IV. Pure trolling, either to upset someone or simply for your personal
enjoyment, is strictly prohibited. If you're here to cause trouble, it will be a very short stay. Immediate BAN and you will be reported to your ISP.
Quote:
XIII. If you are a long time member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather then attacking them. We look upon our veteran members to use this opportunity to teach the newer members the appropriate message board usage.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote