The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
jlsanborn

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

So I had a fairly good day in the shop yesterday. I took a few videos (just from the phone) but cannot seem to upload them. I'll keep trying.

That passenger fender is ready for some filler. There was more rot in that corner than I realized. Thanks to Bomp for the "small pieces" tip! Instead of trying to cut out the crap and replace it with one big goofey piece that I'd never be able to re-create, I divided it up into smaller, easier pieces and grafted those in one at a time. Great advice!! We also lopped out that trans cross-member. I plan to be back out there today.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
So I had a fairly good day in the shop yesterday. I took a few videos (just from the phone) but cannot seem to upload them. I'll keep trying.

That passenger fender is ready for some filler. There was more rot in that corner than I realized. Thanks to Bomp for the "small pieces" tip! Instead of trying to cut out the crap and replace it with "one big goofey piece" that I'd never be able to re-create, I divided it up into smaller, easier pieces and grafted those in one at a time. Great advice!! We also lopped out that trans cross-member. I plan to be back out there today.

Looks great.
I feel compelled to give my .02 of caution.
One advantage of multiple pieces is to avoid that "one big goofy piece" but you really have to watch the heat issue when putting it all together. It may not seem like much but when that metal cools it has a tendence to wanna move. As you have seen on my thread (#362) theres a reason why I have so many hammers. Having to beat that metal back to where it belongs.
Just my .02
Looking great. Your really knockin that thing out. How's the boys arm?
Side note: I use a cheap little Sony Cyber-Shot 7.2 camera to make the vids. My phone (Galaxy S II) Is like a 4meg and the Windows Movie Maker 2.6 wont take it.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
jlsanborn

Enough sitting on my a$$. It's time to get this build moving again!!!!

I've had a BUNCH of time off and the party is almost over. As pityful as it is, I did manage to get some work done on the truck. It's been cold and the little stove just wasn't getting the job done. An old neighbor offered me a big stove that was laying outside his shop like EIGHT years ago. I finally decided to accept his offer What a difference! I can stuff this big dude and get it WARM in there now.

I finally loaded up my calipers with new pads and installed those. Them pads sure are thick!??? I fully compressed the calipers and still had to remove those little sheetmetal things between the pistons and pads to get them over the rotors. I'm sure they're compressed all the way and they do go on but it just seems tight to me. There's a slight drag when I spin the wheels. Move on....

I bought new tie-rod ends like waaaaay back and finally got that all buttoned up. Cheap-o didn't buy new sleeves but instead spent an hour and a little skin cleaning up the old CRAP. Gottem all sanitary and painted then installed. Something finally DONE!

Finished touches on the doors and got those, the panels and the backside of the grille in epoxy! Well, only the insides of the doors. I gotta do the seam sealer on those then I'll shootem again, flip them over and do another shot.

Lastly, I layed out the paint divider moulding on the back of the cab. I've put some marks down so I can drill holes for them little screw-in posts. Sorta not happy with the moulding. $80 for such simple pieces yet they're both kinda tweaked. The drivers side has a bit of a whoop on the short leg. So much that I fear kinking it when I try to straighten it out. The passenger side came pre-kinked! I'll look closer today but if it sucks I'll have to get on the horn

I still haven't looked into how you'd sneak big, cool pictures throughout your post like our pal BOMP does but I'll stickem on the end here. Just a note.... Every picture to date on this thread has come from my Blackberry. The following is off the camera I bought Wifey for xmas (it was worth my paint bux!!). I'll try and make a video here soon!
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote