The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Question Rocker boxes, To remove or not to remove?

I'm replacing the outer rockers on my blazer and I notice that the inside of the rocker boxes has rust flaking off, some big flakes are already just laying there.

My question is, how hard is it to remove these rocker boxes? should I do it? there's no structural damage to them (no rot) just surface rust and I want to protact them from rusting again, so should I remove them? how hard are they to put back on?

Below is a couple of pics that show my boxes.

Thanks for the read and any advise given.

Paul.
Attached Images

chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:02 PM   #2
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

In this pic you can see some of the rocker box inside has some pitting from the rust, again, there's not rust through.

I will most likely use Rust Bullet encapsulator to take care of the rust, as I've read that this product desn't need as much prep as POR15 does, the bullet just requieres you to clean up the rust and aply 2 coats and is done, anybody used the rust bullet product here? results?

Thanks Paul.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

We used POR-15 for our rocker boxes. I bought some Rust Bullet and am going to be using that in the doors. Here is a pic with the POR-15 - We just wire brushed the big rust off and painted the POR-15 on. Just did it so I can't tell you if it is going to hold up or not.
Attached Images

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:26 PM   #4
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Thanks for the reply Diane, so you didn't get the inside of the boxes smooth? I wanted to smooth out most of the inside with my angle grinder that way it would look nice, but then again who is gonna see the inside :p

That looks very nice Diane, your blazer keeps me hoping for my blazer to look just as nice as yours.

Anybody used anything else?

Thanks. Paul.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:01 PM   #5
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

No problem Chevy-fatman....wish my a$$ looked as nice as your pic! LMAO
Diane

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:15 PM   #6
Kman

My rocker boxes look the same inside, I have the back covers off and I'm going to try to sand blast out the worst of the scale and paint My outer rockers are good they were replaced by some p/o

Has anyone tryed to clean these boxes through the end covers opening?
Kman
Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:11 PM   #7
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Fatman, the way you have them now they are halfway to being off. You will just have to disconnect the welds at the inside crossmember and a few welds at the front. It would take a little bit of work. Boils down to how good of a job you want to do. If you think you can get some Por-15 brushed or sprayed everywhere in them the way they are now leave them attached.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
Huck

Paul, the rocker boxes are structual support to the body which means they should be strong. I would power wire brush any loose stuff, then spray with rust prep, then either spray and/or brush POR15 or similar. If you decide to remove them, you could create a unnoticeable sag in body in the process!! Make sure you keep your hardtop bolted on for alignment purposes. If the rust is light scale, I would not remove but clean and treat. My .02---Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #9
blaz72

If have a sand blaster works good.Save them boxes,wish i hade some on my blazer.Have to wait untial gmc pauls gets them in.
blaz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:34 PM   #10
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1970blazin
wish my a$$ looked as nice as your pic! LMAO
Diane

Wasn't you who sent me that pic? J/K I forgot about you when I picked that avatar, I wouldn't want to offend you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kman
I'm going to try to sand blast out the worst of the scale and paint

Quote:
Originally posted by blaz72
If have a sand blaster works good.Save them boxes
I hadn't thought of that, good opinion there guys, I think that I'll get me a syphon blaster since I don't have a sand blaster which is cheaper and use it there to erradicate whatever rust I find.

Gee_Emm, that sure sounds like it would be fun, but I'm not bodyman, I also thought about Huck's opinion if I removed the boxes I might not get them back where they were therefore creating structural deformity to the tub, which at the best might not be that bad, but since I would like it to be real close to original I guess I'll just leave them on and wire brush or sand blast most of it and paint over it to protect it from the weather, but since this blazer will be only driven on nice weather I don't have to worry about lots of water and salt getting in there again.

Thanks again guys for the opinions, this board rocks.

Paul.

Last edited by chevy_fatman; 11-02-2003 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:28 AM   #11
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

If you keep your top on while boxes are removed you should have no troubles with deforming the tub. There are people driving without rocker boxes and don't have any issues. Of course they don't take thier rig off road and never take the top off.

Another thought: POR stands for "Paint Over Rust" so don't spend alot of time removing the rust. If you must, make sure you leave a rough surface for the POR to stick to. It will not adhear to a smooth surface. Good luck and post pics of your progress.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote