The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Jfwh1tt

Last two mechanical issues (so far)

Howdy! Been working on getting my truck running right so I can move into it as my daily driver. So far, I've set the timing, rebuilt the carb, tightened my belts, filled my fluids, and fixed my leaks. From what I've identified so far, I only have two mechanical problems left.

First, when I get on the gas very hard, it hesitates and sometimes dies. If I'm gentle with it, it runs great, but when I goose the throttle I have the hesitation. If I back off a little when it happens, it will hesitate then take off. Originally it attributed it to the timing being off, and the vacuum advance was not hooked up. I've fixed, or so i think, both of those issues. I can not get on it a little more before I have the problem. Any thoughts?

The second issue is the, kick down cable. It was not hooked up when I bought the truck. I attached it, but quickly found it hold the throttle open. That's likely to cause a bad day when the throttle sticks.
Jfwh1tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Last two mechanical issues (so far)

Your hesitation issue sounds like the accelerator pump in the carb isn't working.

The kick down cable should return on its own when released. Does it slide in the cable housing?
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Jfwh1tt

I would expect the accelerator pump to work just fine, It was replaced when I rebuilt the carb. When it's just sitting there idling and I get on it, it works fine. Under load is when it's an issue.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Jfwh1tt

Along with these issues, I need a new oil pan. Mine leaks, but has been patched temporarily. I've been on Summit racing, and see there are two styles or rear main seal styles. What's the difference between 1-piece and 2-piece, besides the number of pieces? Does it matter which one I get?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Longhorn 70

IF yours is like mine it is the 2 piece. It goes in the rear main bearing housing. The one piece actually is on newer engines 86 and up I believe, and is behind a bolted on flange behind the flywheel.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
domeier

Your vacuum advance diagram might be leaking. Could be why it was disconnected.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Jfwh1tt

Thanks. You guys are awesome!

The hesitation was indeed caused by the accelerator pump. It was replace when rebuilding the carb, and works just fine. However, it was not properly adjusted. After a little tweaking, it runs great. Once I hunt down a little electrical gremlin, so my brake lights and running lights quit popping fuses, I'll have me a new daily driver!

Any idea what kind of mileage these things get with mostly stock motor?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
tinsoldier

The only way to know what type of rear main seal is for you to drop the tranny and take a look at your crank. A counterweight at the end of the crank will indicate you need a 2 pieces and a completely round crank means you have a 1 piece.
tinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote