The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
jordabennett

1954 gmc new build

mahalo guys, looks like i finally picked up another project! after i got in a really bad car accident not to long ago icbc payed out the old daily driver and gave me the opportunity to buy myself a new vehicle.... or project!

when i went to the the states to check it out! couldn't believe the condition this thing was in it was amazing, zero rust.. zip..nada.. doodle!

Made a nice space in the shop for it..

Drove down yesterday with the trailer. lucked out and it didn't rain much
loaded her up and started the trek back in canadia!

Home sweet home!!

More info and details tonight. can't waste any more time gotta go work on this thing!!!!!
jordabennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Chevette

Re: 1954 gmc new build

Looks like a good truck. Are you staying with the six? Nice lookin' shop too. It ought to a fun project. Good luck with your build.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
jordabennett

Going to be starting the cab today, paint/interior ****. Deciding on either a camaro clip that i already have or a c10 bolt in clip. i want this thing canned on the ground, I'm getting my buddies 350/400 out of his model a and pulling the straight 6.
another shot

paint ideas are coming from this truck "flat nasty" spent about an hour drooling over this in abby a while back and can't seem to get the colour combs out of my head!
I'm hoping to be able to get this in a spray can we shall see!
Pulled the clip out yesterday and started to pressure wash it this morning realizing all i was doing was making it wet. so decided to whip down and sandblast it for $40 got some paint on the bottom and ran out... tomorrow remove motor and cut frame

Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
jordabennett

Well got some good progress today. Removed the motor and tranny
and managed to grind the rivets off the punch them out to get the front axle out! then for the scary part.. cutting into that gorgeous frame, (made me a bit queasy) had to trim the passenger front body mount and notch the front running board mounts. i removed them to make a good clean cut and re fab them in. It must have big block coils in because its cranked high and stiff as all hell! ill remove those tomorrow after i get everything measured 50 times and tach welded once!

last video of the old heart! sounds like a straight 6!

well today i pulled the rotors and callipers off. pulled the coils out. and took about 4''.. maybe more out of them (air bags going in soon) put it together rolled it under the frame dropped it down to a taster of what it will look like. with weight on it the running boards sit about 3.5'' off the ground!

Doing a little experimenting with paint and i think I'm going with stain gold for the motor or burn copper highlights look closely and you can see the copper
the lighting makes it look a little different.

Busy weekend so until sunday, this is how she sits

i need an idea for a good set of steelies for the front, with zero offset. any ideas?
Didn't have much time to work on it this weekend but managed to get the frame exactly where i wanted it moved about 3/8 of an inch forward to fit the wheel wells better and measured about 100 times this way and that way under and over inside and out before i laid a weld. cleaned it up nice add some material where to was needed still have to finish the back horns of the camaro clip- blend them into the frame and modify the front running board brackets the fit around the clip
trimmed the bottom of them frame flush with the clip and get a nice weld along the bottom.
added the rest of the frame in, and kicked it out the follow the frame a little better.

quickly checked out the 350 I'm getting of my good buddy who swap it out and put in a 427!

being built heavily on almost no savings, from the car accident i was in so bartering and trades is how this beast is getting built.
today i finished off welding the frame, made a new gusset for the passenger side body mount. notched the front running board brackets to clear the clip made some simple end for the clip the blend better into the frame. rolled it out shot a coat of paint down and then loaded the cab back on and in place.

dash idea.

put some panels roughly on to see what it looked like. with the motor in it will drop at least another 2-3''

before i welded in the clip i moved it 3/8 of an inch forward and centre the wheel in the wheel well and I'm happy with the final look..... now for the tire and rims that clear!!!

possible idea for pipes. looks pretty cool.

more tomorrow!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
jordabennett

lack of funds made a slow day, still lots i can do and managed and drop a mock up 350/400 into it today. seems to fit great and no cutting on the floor is needed! have to decide i a set of headers and ideas for exhaust. also pulled the bed off and planning on c notching the frame and adding blocks in the rear (for now until i have enough to link it)

mocked up a 57 p/u seat as well. i took off the sliders on the floor and the seat just fit right and sat right down and the original skeleton. yes I'm alittle crammed sitting but i always will be being 6'6 but its a great fit!!

I'm going with the free beer keg i got as a fuel tank, get some fittings welded on and a filler and going with a sight line for a fuel gauge too. sorta like this but maybe on the front

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
great looking project.
well got a little bit more work done today, i got some u bolts made up that were 4'' longer than stock for the 4 block. annnnd still didn't lower it as much as i wanted... so i made a template up for the c notches and got to work!! got both welded in place and ready to but the frame out.. then 4 link and bag time. [36]

well i had about a billion and one things to do today but manned to get some done. Went to a buddies and pulled out an master/booster and pedal assembly out of his 80s ford. yes its ugly but for free I'm happy i may look ugly of the firewall but its fits great inside as well as my budget!
also finished up the notches today and will clean up the 8.8 i have and roll that under for some measurements and start the four linky. hoping to get the bags tomorrow.

Was very busy this weekend and unfortunately it wasn't on my truck, but got a few things done. removed, wire wheeled and painted rotors, installed new bearings and seals, and out on the new callipers and pads. got that master/booster cleaned up and painted and waiting until the motor is in to find a new spot for it. got some free wheels today to and i think the backspacing is just right and will hopefully sit nice in the wheel well. also grabbed that free 8.8 i got stripped all the ugly of it and will clean it up and paint it tomorrow.

pulled some hours in the shop and got lots done so far, removed the old rear end, leafs and shackle setups. after removing multiple [!]rivets
gutted the 8.8 and wire wheeled the whole thing, also cut the top two piece off and shaved one side of the webbing.
measured 1322030239 times and tacked it in and began to build my how made 4 link which I'm really hoping it works[t]
sold the motor today so bags and 350 are coming!

sitting height.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
jordabennett

i built up the lowers this morning and just seeing where a good position is for them, and then ran out of welding gas.......[b]

any input on location or what not would be great!
well finished off the lowers today tacked in a few gussets but still have lots more to add. i cycled it a bunch of times and seems to work great with no binds and weird bends. the lowers are a little close together but thats as wide as i could get them. ill run the bags and shocks out wide and it doesnt have to much lean to it.

well got everything boxed in and welded, sure was a long day of welding!
but seems to work great with no binds or anything, also picked up the new motor for it. from a good buddy of mine who recently pulled it from his model a and replaced with a 427 bb chevy!
mild build
4 bolt main
30 over
new pistons
rv cam
194 heads
air gap intake
carter 650
deep sump oil pan
nice and healthy
around 375hp maybe a bit more!

paint and clean up should make it look real nice!

Got a little done today, pulled the body and welded up the front bottom link mounts. then connected a tranny and popped then motor in to see what it looked like, raised it up a little and made some mounts heavy duty ones, don't want the motor going anywhere. then cut up the old e brake bar, solid 1 1/2 bar, going to leave the other cross member in.. one because its not harming anything and second i can't get it out.. [15] just going to tach everything and drop the body back on to see how it clears, also scored and got some badass fender well headers. ill probably run them below the frame above the running boards. ill explain later. ill have to notch the other k member as well for drive shaft

trying to get this

finished up the tranny mount and tacked the engine mounts in, also got the air bag kit today, but I'm going to have to change out the fronts and get some with a smaller diameter the 7'' di. won't fit in the lower control arm at all. came with all these fancy valves and manifolds but i dunno i need that? fews shots... going back to work on it now.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
jordabennett

raised one of the cross members and boom. lays running boards.
the lowest i can get it. started to mock up where the rear bags will go. on top of the axle and then mounted to the main cross bar with some gussets. should raise it up quite a bit!

i deleted photos off photobucket and lost the ones of making all the mounts for the air bags but you get the idea

Ran the front and rear brake lines today added a prop valve in the rear may not need it but i was sitting right there so why not. got the body and motor back in to double check clearances with floor headers etc. seems to be A-okay.
still have to notch the main k-member for the dshaft and then its on the brake assembly and steering shaft.

Had some things going on these past few days so i havnt got much done, but today i was able to cut the rear crossmember and notch it out. disassembled the motor and painted it. it went together and then back part as i couldn't make up my mind with paint. intake and brackets and alternator were black and then painted in silver. still don't know if i quite like the pulleys/alt/ brackets yet. what do you guys think? maybe gold intake and aluminum pulleys?
of course while painting the headers white the can pooched on me and quit working air tank sitting maybe where she will go.

i mixed a gold and dark burnt orange. did high lights around the heads to give it a different look. in the sun it looks cool.

well got a few things done today, finished up the rear brake lines ran fuel lines and tranny lines as well. made it look clean and nik stopped by and gave me the idea to paint the fins. so i got with a dark shade and light shade. made it look great. and finished the white headers.

to shinny! need rust!!
Getting closer. Got the body on and mounted. bed on and 'sitting' wanted to see how everything was going to line up. notched out the bed for the axle.. layed the fenders again the body just to see what it should look like..put in the new mallory distributor i got from Nik seems to fit well! also got the brake assembly fitted and mounted, and shot over to a friends place a scored a 53 chevy steering coloum for free, nice a simple just how i wanted it, cut and fitted that aswell. temporary mounted with exhaust clamp. and i may just keep it there, seems to do the job, Now to find a gold flake steering wheel...
more to come tomorrow....

And last but not least... while at martins place i walked through the yard and found some cool stuff, little old town display he made and this crazy badge art piece!!

Been getting a little more done, installed the bearing in bottom of the steering shaft and tacked a washer on the bottom. got some new steering ujoints and mocked everything up and a heim joint for a stabilizer. just need one more jam nut for it. mocked up a gas pedal and trottle assembly. added a carb spacer, and added some brass line i got at the swap meet.. hoses look kinda cool now. pretty much need to get it painted to put it all together. and last night found a truck for my buddy daryl so we had a exchange with truck and deals and he ended up with this sweet 28 p/u with a bb 460.. i love it. also had to get valve cover spacers because of the intake and how it came right into the valve cover spacer. yes i may have been able to mill the intake but this was a quick and an fix.

swap this..

for this..

Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
jordabennett

Installed the new B&M hot rod shifter. really like the way its put together and half the price as a lokar one i will be making my own handle and getting it up high near the roof, installed a new lokar kick down cable and started the exhaust will be putting in some old school glass packs and kicking it out somewhere not to sure where yet. Delivered the body and panels over to a buddy Daryl's place some a little body work and some paint. i can see the end... sorta....maybe.. not really.

well i was able to get the body and panels over to daryls place and got some paint yesterday and all the prep ****, so started sanding away to roughin everything up and then got some plastic up and hung the fenders and started spraying, i had a respirator and was high as a ****in kite. daryl pulled some more time and got everything sprayed after i left last night, now for some colour!!

Well i finished up the beginning of the exshaust and then got all the paint supplies. farted around and got the colour i like fully custom with alittle of this and alittle of that. she's one of a kind! and man oh man am i high as hell.
turned out pretty good... one more coat and that should do it. it dries really nice with a satin.

ANNNDDD grandma bought me a NEW welder!

so happy with it, seems the work great, its the 211 and has either 220 o 230v meaning paper thin it does the job and 1/2'' think it does the job, and the auto button is pretty cool too!!
After a few nights of getting high as hell on paint fumes i finished it loaded it up and took it back to the shop, mounted it back over the frame and I'm proud to say it turned out better than imagined.

don't mind the aluminium pipes they are just over tranny lines bet out the walking path

got some vintage wires for it as well

Typical christmas month, hectic as usual and not much time to do things.
and with funds running low because of it, not alot has gotten finished, but i managed to get the original seat mounts cut out, mount the air tank for bags, made a full mount including steel straps for the fuel cell( keg ), made a fire wall piece to hide the uglies and keep it smooth. used a crimp and hole punch around it for an added look. cabs mounted box is semi mounted, got the shift linkage put together and made a nice tall shifter. coming together.. slowly. probably won't get much more done until after the holidays.

Well its been a great holiday away but its time to crack down and get this truck finished. IF i have enough money but i was able to pick up the steel bungs of the keg. just need to get those big welded on. and got all the air fittings and hose for the bags. spend most of the day yesterday plumbing and mounting all the bags. finished welding the front bags and remounted the bottoms. made valve cover studs and continuing to do what i can. more progress today.

*******One thing i am having trouble with is these manual air switches i bought form princess auto. it looked to me that they have one inlet and two out lets. which i liked because then i was not 'T'ing the bags. they had their own line. but when its all hooked up only one fills and then if i bleed it fills the other what gives?
heres a photo of what i mean, the one with the PLUG and T to bags works other does not.

alternator bracket.

Here is a video of the bags. from the video you can't really see it go but it travels alot!! feels cool to do it inside the truck!!

Got alittle bit more done today, got a power steering pump and brackets. need the get some lines made. dropped off the keg a my buddies to get the bung big welded got a boat roller to cut down for bushings for the box. running boards and rear fenders mounted. rear lights mounted. getting a cheap battery tomorrow hopefully to start wiring this thing. farted around this evening with some beach matts glued to the dash panel.. going to do the glove box and ash tray as well. head liner i might get alittle crazy the do this hawaiian material. who knows. need to focus on the important stuff first!!

heres a video of cycling the bags, almost wish i went with 3/8 line

but once the compressor is fully full it should be okay.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
68GMCburban

Nice!
1968 GMC Suburban- (Current project) Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=569806
(6) 60-66s (shortstep, rollback, two-ton, longbeds)
(3) 47-59s half tons
+ MANY more and always looking for more
68GMCburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
jordabennett

battery cables run and mounted to the back. spark plugs cut and crimped. power steering pump and brackets mounted. played around with some interior stuff. but i need to get it running before any more of that ****! hahah.

wired the compressor and just need to wire a relay for the pressure switch, which turns on at 110 and off at 145. bags work great when theres air!
got a fuse box and going to start to wire this guy. still waiting for my keg to be welded and pressure tested then will hook up fuel. painted headers and bolted them in for good.

little hawwaiin touch.. i need some ideas for a seat cover. not going to traditional mexican blanket way. what some thing simpler for the head liner and other small hawaiian accents to pop.
idea???

getting more wiring done. managed with help from my buddy justin to get the front clip together, cut the old frame horns and got the rad support sitting on a jack and going to make a mount tomorrow for it. also found the rims I'm after. the picture is of a 17'' but i will most likely go 15'' cheaper...

Finished the rad support today. lined everything up once again just to make sure. made it a little low with a nice piece of rubber between, just incase the clip needs to come up or down, polished up the old rad. mounted it. drilled what felt like a billion holes just to do something different... installed the heater and pull toggle. waiting to get some heater line to finish it off. started on some matt inside the truck. no idea what I'm going to do for carpet or floor..
also installed the windshield.. took aliltte time but the string helped immensely.
AND THENNN....... some how no idea how but the window cracked so pissed! i went inside the cab to grab something and noticed the line i thought was water.. nope just a bog old crack... fudge!!!!!

more progress, mounted box. used boat rollers from princess auto to make the spacers i need to get the bed level and the desired height. fixed the rear fenders. got the keg back.... unfortunately the breather bung was welded in front of the gas filler. but will stay for now until fixed at another time. but drilled more holes and fixed it to the bulk head as well for added strength. finished running all the fuel in with another fuel filter to catch any debris from the tank. plumbed and ran all wires for the rear tail lights. mounted the heater core lines, and rad hoses. wrapped with old copper loom.. wish i had bigger sizes to slip over. all the wiring will hopefully get finished this weekend with a first start. figures crossed!!!!!!!! also my girl friend got me too glass door knobs. so drilled a hole in the gas cap and mounted one and filled the old antenna hole with another. love with way they look. more to come!!!!

Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
jordabennett

im so fired up! so next of the list. electric fan, drive shaft and mount other rims and tires. so much for "exhaust header paint" those headers smoked

VIDEOS

Was so loud i scared a murder of crows;

Did i major clean

Well I'm close but yet so far it seems.. one step forward 4 steps back.. but slowly I'm making progress. while fixing the lower rad support to the fenders i realized the bottom of the rad frame was rotten and full of ****, and leaking... so i took it all out and cleaned everything. soldered around the bungs and then reattached the old frames and made a new bottom with some rubber matting as spacing. Also got the grill mounted and just waiting for my 55 caddy bumber to fab some new ideas for under the head lights. front head light harness finished, electric fan installed and waiting for wiring, tranny lines and cooler in and mounted. heat matt. cut and glued in.. carpet one day, seat in and bolted. need some good cheap ideas for a seat cover that goes with the surf theme in side. having quite the time with rear tires.. the ones you have seen on there are too deep and hit the fenders and any other old no offset ones hit the inside.. need to find a set of good steelies that fit.
Also got this sweet beer tap for my shifter too!!!! Thanks llyod!!!

drive shaft cut and balanced and installed.
fraser came over to deal with some electrical problems, and then the gang showed up for some beers and burnouts.

getting more progress done day by day, wheel adapters installed, used alittle never cease so the aluminum won't weld to the rotor. beer tap installed. as well as the glove box. gauge cluster is in right now. looks great. buick wheels in the rear and 55 chevy wheels up front, plumbed in a line lock before adding fluid, now ill be able to do brake stands with rear disc brakes power sterering lines installed. this was a nightmare finding something that would fit ended up going with a universal make it your self deal. ugly ass fittings but unfortunately its all they had at the time. rear corner glass in, back one is being a real pain!! headlights in and wired. tonight is the last night of wiring and it will be done. bumpers and small things and hopefully its road worthy. and then shocks all away around when i have money.

fronts

the handle of the lock with stick out the side of the shifter boot. barley noticeable.

Was over at my good buddy Raff's place having a few beers. sitting in his 427 bb powdered model a. i think its a good fit

wiring is complete. almost. just need to clean it up under the dash. heater fan works electric fan works lights, gauges etc all work!
i mounted the the dimmer switch in the old hole where the spring was for the old e brake. i made a angle piece the came off the side of the pedal and mounted a carb spring to old it down, now you just push on the e brake for hi and lo beam. its getting inspected tomorrow. fingers crossed.

sight line works

drilled holes.

Don't think the stock bumper is going to cut it, brain storming for ideas.
the front I'm going to cut up the bullets from a 55 caddy bumper. should look pretty cool.

lights

trimmed and mounted.

WAAAAHOOOOO!!!! she's passed inspection. and its fully registered!
over heating issue but hoping i can figure out the issue. had to melt the tires a little.

spy shot.
well shes been on the road for a week now.. still on permits but slowly working on it more. luckily i was able to fab in some shocks. what a differne that made!! made some white walls. they look like **** now. used krylon fusion paint but already its flaking off. so ill try again with a different type of paint, getting the old hood on tomorrow and making a custom grill and mounting model a bumpers of the front and rear hopefully today!! couple update photos!

today i farted around and tossed up a cool looking grill. not quite finished yet but you get the idea. i bent each one using a torch and old pulley. tomorrow i will make a good solid mount for them and finish it up with maybe a raw/ satin black or burgundy like the truck???? any ideas? also heres a shot of a 57 chevy bumper mocked up. if would come much higher and could do signals in the bullets. i do like it but does look alittle heavy ( goddy) so maybe another option, roll pan or just stock bumper? whatcha guys think?

few more shots of the past weekend at the car show and doing alittle more exhaust work.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
jordabennett

Old 06-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
dubie

I always love a well picture documented build and that's exactly what this was. I'm impressed with the amount of work you did on this truck to get it just how you wanted it. It turned out PERFECT!!!
One question for you. I have the same electric fan to wire up on my 56, how did you wire this one?

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
jordabennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
I always love a well picture documented build and that's exactly what this was. I'm impressed with the amount of work you did on this truck to get it just how you wanted it. It turned out PERFECT!!!
One question for you. I have the same electric fan to wire up on my 56, how did you wire this one?
thanks man, means alot! just wired to a switch and fuse. wired as a puller and had to flip the fan
Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Rude Dude

Outstanding work, your truck rocks now added to one of my favorite builds on this site !!
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Rude Dude

I think you need some of these

http://hubcapmike.com/50-merc-moon-center-cap.html
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
Bubba54

Truck looks great, love the flat color.
Bubba54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
jordabennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
yeah thats what im looking for just a smaller one, and will probably take off the white walls.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
Rude Dude

They are only 10 1/8 inside lip and attach over the 3 stubs on the wheel. The reason why I know this my uncle just bought some for his 27 Ford T Coupe and is running 14 inch camaro rims. They dont cover the full rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordabennett View Post
yeah thats what im looking for just a smaller one, and will probably take off the white walls.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
jordabennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
They are only 10 1/8 inside lip and attach over the 3 stubs on the wheel. The reason why I know this my uncle just bought some for his 27 Ford T Coupe and is running 14 inch camaro rims. They dont cover the full rim.
yeah im looking for even smaller ones that just go over the lug pattern. simple dull and basic looking, but those do look great, will see what is decided!