The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2003, 11:00 PM   #1
Baradium
Binder Rep

HEI Conversion

I'm going to be attempting to install a used HEI in the '70 pickup (350, all original currently, still running points), most likely tomorrow.

Search on metacrawler, and a search of the board (board search didn't really turn up anything, kept it limited to 67-72 forum) still leave me with a few questions.

What's the preferred method for hookup of the HEI? IE, where do I need to draw power from?

Is the resistor wire for points powered full time? (I believe there is a bypass wire energized from the starter in the "start" position, wondering if this caused GM to make the resistor only energized in RUN). One site I came across suggested replacing the resistor wire with a 12 guage wire and I'd be good to go, but if it's not energized full time it could cause headaches (also someone else suggested capping off and labling the old points wires in case the HEI ever failed, keeping the old points dizzy under the seat).

I'm hoping all the parts on this dizzy are good, I'll check the vacuum advance tomorrow with a vacuum pump to make sure it works before installation, other than that everything felt good. What is the reccomended oil to use for the parts? They all feel good, but it seems to me that some more oil couldn't hurt since the dizzy is out and in my hands...

Any tips or suggestions for this hookup? I figured I might bump the engine until the timing mark is visible under the guage for the timing, that way if I do get messed up during the install I know what plug the rotor should be pointing to and can go from there.

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S. I also managed to break my heater core last chance I had to work on this truck... a few months ago. Hoping the HEI will cure some of the perpetual problems I've had preventing the truck from being dependable.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:03 PM   #2
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

This topic was just heavily discused here is a very good wiring sch that was posted with it..
Attached Images

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:05 PM   #3
jcab
I need more money....

There is a step by step in the FAQ that should tell you everything you need to know

'68 LWB C10
'74 Duster ("It's not Rusted out, it's been modified for weight reduction")
'91 Civic
'97 Saturn
'88 Celica AWD turbo (R.I.P.) 273 hp Mustang Killer
jcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #4
Baradium
Binder Rep

Quote:
Originally posted by jcab
There is a step by step in the FAQ that should tell you everything you need to know
I looked for the faq earlier on the main page, but I'm guessing it has been having issues, and the link to it didn't come up... can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks to both of you!

Another question...

Where does the new wire start? At the ign switch? At the fuse box? or?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2003, 11:33 PM   #5
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=13698

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:43 PM   #6
jimfulco

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....onversion.html
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:44 PM   #7
Baradium
Binder Rep

Thanks, that helps...

so I need to come in from the fuse box? I'm thinking I'm going to have to be looking at the truck to completely see where I'm putting everything, havn't been under the hood or the dash of the truck in a few months because it's been so far away (another reason I need to get it fixed this trip!) and I keep trying to think in terms of the IH wiring, which can be confusing to say the least...

What's the easiest way to connect through the fuse box?

Last edited by Baradium; 11-26-2003 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:57 PM   #8
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

There should be a switched spade in the fuse box.....that's where i put my wire. Ran it through the firewall and to the dizzy......that's all there was to it.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:24 AM   #9
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I just take the center bolt out of the bulkhead connector on the firewall. Remove the original resistor wire (was once white with a fabric type insulation) and the brass terminal with a pair of needle nose pliers. If your'e careful, you can re-use the connector. Hook the connecter back up to a regular piece of wire, plug it back into the fusebox and you're done. Too bad you're not closer, I just found a box of about 300 of the OEM connectors in the garage. I have no idea how I ended up with that many of those things.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:28 AM   #10
Baradium
Binder Rep

Quote:
Originally posted by gonebad2
I just take the center bolt out of the bulkhead connector on the firewall. Remove the original resistor wire (was once white with a fabric type insulation) and the brass terminal with a pair of needle nose pliers. If your'e careful, you can re-use the connector. Hook the connecter back up to a regular piece of wire, plug it back into the fusebox and you're done. Too bad you're not closer, I just found a box of about 300 of the OEM connectors in the garage. I have no idea how I ended up with that many of those things.
So I can just start at the bulkhead connector?

Where are you at?

That sure is a lot of them!!!

Hopefully everything will work the first go around, because otherwise I might find myself stuck...

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 11-27-2003, 12:38 AM   #11
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I am in Nevada. Sure, you can start at the bulkhead connector. It makes for a clean installation because you don't have to drill a hole through the firewall and run the wire through it. If you want, PM your address to me and I'll send you a few. They come in handy if you ever need to replace a wire on the firewall side of the bulkhead connector.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:42 AM   #12
Baradium
Binder Rep

Quote:
Originally posted by gonebad2
I am in Nevada. Sure, you can start at the bulkhead connector. It makes for a clean installation because you don't have to drill a hole through the firewall and run the wire through it. If you want, PM your address to me and I'll send you a few. They come in handy if you ever need to replace a wire on the firewall side of the bulkhead connector.

It looks like you have PM disabled... if you enable it I'll gladly PM you! Thanks

Do I use regular motor oil to oil the thing up while it's out or is there a special type I need?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 11-27-2003, 12:48 AM   #13
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

OK, PM is back on....Greg
Old 11-27-2003, 01:03 AM   #14
Baradium
Binder Rep

PM Sent

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 11-27-2003, 02:07 PM   #15
Baradium
Binder Rep

Ok, looking at the cap for the HEI, it looks like there should be 3 prongs on the inner plug in the cap (the one going to the dizzy body), there are also three wires on the dizzy body's connector. The center connector is the missing one.

On the cap it says D+ GRD C- (IIRC) do know that GRD is in the middle. I take this to mean that the center one is supposed to be the ground. Does this mean the ign will not work with this cap or is that center connector not neccessary? IE: Do I need to buy a new cap? Parts stores probobly aren't even open today...
Old 11-28-2003, 01:30 PM   #16
DanoDMano
Pronounced "Pew-al-up"

Okay I am hooking mine up today. I can eliminate the yellow wire going to the starter, and the existing wire going to the coil and replace it with a new one coming from non fused irnition at the fusebox.(12g) Then I can run my tach wire to the post marked tach on the HEI???

No ground necessary??

Thanks.

1970 FS chevy,350/350, Edelbrock cam and intake. Holley 650 carb,HEI,AT,Tangier Orange, 18's,
Power Locks,

Truck Photos
DanoDMano is offline   Reply With Quote