The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
JR25

Newb with 235 questions

I have a 1955 2nd P/U (3200) with the 235. Just bought it and am in the process of a frame up resto. This is my FIRST old car project of any type. The engine is currently at the machine shop getting re-bored, and head re-built. Was bored to 40 over by previous owner...... many miles ago so I hope to only go to 60 over, but might have to go 80. I have purchased a Finton dual intake with Tom Langdons Carter 2 barrel progressives as well as Finton headers. I am wanting to install alternator, power steering, and possibly A/C. I have not noticed many belt driven devices on the passenger side, but would think would be the best option for A/C comp. I have been reading a ton of threads and forums on different options for mounting different belt driven items on the 235. I think I would have more options with a double pulley on the end of the crank shaft, but I only have one. Would any of these work for my engine?

http://www.silver-seal.com/category/..._gm.l6_engine/

I am open to ALL suggestions/advice (cam, power steering set up, rack-n-p vs box, pulley set up, etc)!

Thanks,
John
Posted via Mobile Device
JR25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Newb with 235 questions

go take a look and inliners.org, lots of information on the sixes.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
JR25

Been all over it as well as many other sites, seen some good stuff and got lots of ideas, but seems like what i find is great, but for a different engine, component, etc.

Anyone have any specific advice? Passenger side mounts? Dual belt balancer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
broey
Square

running p/s and a/c off a 235 is going to really bog the engine down. your money would be way better spent on a small block
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
JR25

Definitely want to keep the 235. Now im a little worried! I can do without A/C i guess! What about electric pump for power steering?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
broey
Square

I would post this question in the engine section on the forum. they will be able to help you figure out your best options.

here is a LINK
Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
JR25

Will do, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
NEWFISHER

With a stock or close to size tire, stock large steering wheel and the right caster, you won't need powersteering.
Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
JR25

I guess I should get 'er back together and drive it a bit before I make that decision! I get the "new kid - want to do it all at once" syndrome. The truck wasn't running when I bought it, so you are probably right! I was just hoping to make any conversions now while I have just the bare frame sitting there with nothing in the way! Do you think 17" rims will be manageable? What about if I go to an aftermarket tilt wheel? Has anyone tried to use an electrical power steering pump? Google taught me that the newer Jeep uses an electric one..... just a thought!

Thanks to the both of you for the replies! I hope to post pics of the build once it actually starts going back together. I took plenty of the tear down, but everyone gets to see that with their own!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Speedbumpauto

IMO, do the power steering NOW!, especially if you're going to invest in a modern tilt style column. You won't regret it. I've done a number of PS converesions on stuff using the GM/Saginaw box adapted to the stock steering.(none on these trucks as I used a clip) The box is easy to adapt to a boxed part of the frame and fabbing some brackets for the pump to the old six is also doable, especially at the stage you're at now. The pump doesn't use much power when you're going down the road and if you're turning or parking, you don't need the power anyway. Electric could be sweet, but pricey.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
JR25

Excellent point on power consumption! Never thought about it like that. I can fab metal brackets, but just not sure where they can be attached to the engine..... Guess anywhere they will fit as long as everything goes back to the required torque? I would still like to have a double pulley balancer to allow for more belt contact when adding attachments! Any thoughts on that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Speedbumpauto

It's been so long since I worked on a 235 I can't give you any solid advice other than to agree, you need a double crank pulley to work off of for the most simple solution...and....I don't think it's a mountain in terms of problem solving. Remember, even with your mods, this is a pretty low speed engine so your solution doesn't have to be "perfect" in terms of balance, etc. It strikes me that a guy with a mill and a rotary table could drill the balancer for an additional bolt on pulley...or....if the crank is out for this rebuild, you could chuck the crank in a lathe and drill/tap the snout for a 7/16 or 1/2 fine bolt and open up all kinds of possibilities for PS and AC, both of which are going on my ride this time around. Just some thoughts to get you going.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
JR25

Stopped to see the guy machining my motor today. We measured my timing cover, and tried a balancer/crank seal from a SBC, and it fits! It is possible to press on a balancer from a SBC and use the seal for it in a 235. I would just have to drill and thread the shaft as SpeedBumpAuto suggested! The drawback is the thickness of the SBC balancer and how far out that would set the pulleys. Then the water pump pulley would have to be spaced out, and then the fan might be getting a little close!!
Does anyone know if a balancer on a 250 uses the same size shaft? Or am I going to have to keep looking for a decent two pulley balancer off of a car 235?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
JR25

Now i'm debating on rack and penion steering! Im just cheap and am trying to find a donor car, the brackets and any rod length mods i think i can handle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
Divine 59

Unless you are planning on some real wide tires, I don't think you would need power steering, as Newfisher stated.
Divine 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
DLOE65

I have a 292, there is a dude on ebay think his name is "DAVISPEEDEQUIP" sells awesome alt and power steering for sixes. also I am running a manual rack with G78 WW's turns great.
Posted via Mobile Device
DLOE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
JR25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLOE65 View Post
I have a 292, there is a dude on ebay think his name is "DAVISPEEDEQUIP" sells awesome alt and power steering for sixes. also I am running a manual rack with G78 WW's turns great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! Will do!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #18
68gmc780

If you're putting on a different balancer keep in mind what the balancer does,namely, balance.Would hate to end up with a vibration from an imbalanced crank.Just a thought.
68gmc780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
JR25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmc780 View Post
If you're putting on a different balancer keep in mind what the balancer does,namely, balance.Would hate to end up with a vibration from an imbalanced crank.Just a thought.
The balancer on a 235 as well as a SBC is a "zero balance" balancer (basically a small flywheel to create a "gyro" effect to the front end of the crank. It is technically a harmonic dampener on these engines!

But thanks for looking out for me!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
Midgets50

if your wanting a beefier 235 with all this work being done to the motor you might see about putting a turbo on it. That is one of my plans if the diesel ends up falling through
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
JR25

Oddly enough, i had give it some thought earlier on, but think it would ruin the L6 dual exhaust sound, as well as how it would make the engine compartment look!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #22
NEWFISHER

Check out Tom at www.12bolt.com watch the videos etc. He has a ton of knowledge on high perf 6's.

You could always hide the turbo behind the tailshaft of the trans and plumb up to a blow through carb with a decent looking hat. Performance without clutter.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
JR25

Just stumbled on my old post! DLOE, I really dig what you've done with your truck! I have been watching your build.

I would like to invite everyone who replied to my questions above to check out my build thread (in signature below) to see my progress! I try to take all the advice I can get, and consider everyones ideas when making decisions. I did go with alt/pwr strng/air cond and kept the 235. I dont plan on racing it, so hopefully it will still have enough power! DLOE I did find the brackets you were talking about, but decited I could build my own, but I did copy his idea on the top bracket!

Thanks a bunch fellas for the replies when I was a little nervous to get started!

John