The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Wybrow

Need some AD truck rear bumper help.

Hey guys, looking for some measurements and some detailed pictures of your rear bumpers. Prefer factory rear bumpers and can be tucked or in factory position. Basically, what I'm shooting for is to run a rear bumper and build a trailer hitch into my sheet-metal rear frame rails and not see it when I'm not towing anything. Make the license plate flip up or down and be able to toss in a receiver when the time comes.

The issue is, I don't have a rear bumper currently for my truck and I'm trying to keep my spending to current necessities (ie, bags, valves, etc). So if you guys know of anywhere to get measurements and can post pictures (the more detail the better) I would be eternally in your debt.
Wybrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
PurdueSD

Re: Need some AD truck rear bumper help.

I am not any help with measurements right now , but here is a shot you can kinda throw around in your head. I had an old hitch receiver laying around and planned to do exactly what you are proposing. it was fugly so I ended up scrapping the idea and tucking the bumper for now. it was gunna take a bit of fabrication and time that I didn't want to put towards something not getting me closer to the road. it'll be a good project down the road when the trucks road worthy though...

Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
tttuba

too bad you arent out this way in Washington state. I have the old farm fresh diamond plate rear bumper I would give to you if you wanted.
tttuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Wybrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttuba View Post
too bad you arent out this way in Washington state. I have the old farm fresh diamond plate rear bumper I would give to you if you wanted.
Haha, bit of a hike! I appreciate the offer a lot.

I think I've got a rough idea for a plan after spending a few hours on the old google box last night. Need to find a bumper before I know for certain, guess I'll have to pick one up. Hahaha.
Wybrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
mr48chev

This was on a truck I saw at show a few months ago

From a distance.

I've got a piece of 3 inch stainless steel pipe on the back of mine with brackets that run straight back off the frame rails. I cut it all to size and my buddy welded it up including welding on the end caps that one of my vendors at the time gave me for it. The best part was I had no money in it as the pipe was a piece of scrap stainless pipe that I rescued on it's way to the scrap bin at work.

I have been thinking about flipping a 54 rear bumper upside down and mounting the plate below it using the receiver to hold the bracket for the plate.

You could probably slide the brackets towards the front of the frame a bit and drill new holes to tuck it closer but you still would have to build new brackets to raise it up a bit closer to the bottom of the bed.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
solidaxel

I never got around to adding a bumper but the receiver hitch is behind the flip up license plate
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote