The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
runpasthefence

AD Rear Bed Crossmember - Pictures?

So, I'm piecing together an AD bed. I didn't get a bed with the truck, so I could use a hand on some reassembly.

The rearmost bed crossmember I bought has no predrilled holes. Before I go all willy-nilly with my drill, does anyone have any pictures of that crossmember installed?

I'm guessing the bedsides rest completely on top of of the crossmember, and they also butt completely up against the sides?

Thanks
runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
Donaldo

Re: AD Rear Bed Crossmember - Pictures?

I believe that from '47 to early '51 they were 9 boards wide, mid '51 and up are 8 boards wide - surely makes a difference on where the board mounting holes go -
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpasthefence View Post
So, I'm piecing together an AD bed. I didn't get a bed with the truck, so I could use a hand on some reassembly.

The rearmost bed crossmember I bought has no predrilled holes. Before I go all willy-nilly with my drill, does anyone have any pictures of that crossmember installed?

I'm guessing the bedsides rest completely on top of of the crossmember, and they also butt completely up against the sides?

Thanks
You don't say what year. I can only tell you about '54 to '87 but if you see a picture this assembled it's going to fool you. The rear crossmember goes into the stake pocket. There are bolts through the stake pocket to hold the rear crossmember but there is also a vertical weld. If you are familiar with welding this appears to be 'down hand' with an E7014 rod. This leaves a concave or 'washed out' thin weld without much structural value but we're connecting sheet metal. I cut these two welds out with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder.

I have a '54 and a '67 bed completely in pieces for painting. The rear cross members are 55 1/4" wide while the bed is only 50" inside. I can send you a detailed drawing for hole placement but I don't think a picture will help. Can you send a photo of what you have?
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
vht

Mark K or 1 of them had pictures and instructions on their site.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote