The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Need to improve the sound of my system

First off I have a 71, with a JVC head unit mounted under the front of my seat in an aluminum panel I made. I got the cab corner speaker speaker brackets from 73bigblock and installed a set of Infinity reference 6x9s in them. My cab is covered in fatmat. I thought the speakers would sound way better than they do. Granted, with the seat folded down it sounds much better, but it's just idk, muddy sounding. I'm adding in some 8" mid range woofers with dual voice coils from Audiobahn that are mounted in my old MTX speaker boxes.

I don't have an amp yet. I was wondering if I should add a port to the corner speaker brackets and add fiberfill stuffed in there and also in the enclosure boxes for my 8" boxes. Those will sit behind the seat where the gas tank was. I figured that adding power was not the answer if they don't sound great at lower power levels, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I would like to add front speakers in the kick panels at some point and I know that will help a lot. But it will be awhile before I can do that.

Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated.

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
mongoose

Re: Need to improve the sound of my system

kicks... or

eq it really bright or scoop it to try and get out of the muddyness.. probably the cheapest thing to do and easiest.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I added a pair of 8" Audiobahn woofers into a pair of old MTX boxes I had. Set them behind the seat facing forward. That helped quite a bit. Then I played more with the EQ settings on the head unit which helped. Then added some fiber fill into the cab corner enclosures.

So far those changes have helped a lot, but the sound is still too dampened by the seat. I'm thinking of adding some mid range or tweeters to the panels mounted across the front of my seat brackets where my head unit is. Maybe need a crossover and amp.

I like that the entire system is basically out of sight.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
_Ogre

definitely not a choice spot for your only speakers. the seat will muffle most of your highs and you won't get a lot of lows from those speakers.
add kicks with component speakers, a 5 channel amp and a subwoofer; you will never regret it
as for separate tweeters (or any speakers other than a sub) under the seat; the delay and bouncing off the dash will make the sound off.
kick panel speakers with mid-range speakers and a tweeter semi-aimed at your head will give you decent sound.
for full sound you really need to add a sub.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Last night I ordered a 5 channel amp and 4 gauge install kit. Walmart online had it for almost half what everyone else was selling it for. Thinking about the kick panel speakers yet, dont want the interference with the e brake and dimmer switch. Might also add 3.5" or 4" pair in the original dash mount spot.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/JVC-Mobile...utput/24905282
Old 10-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Billett

Check out my thread for the dash mounted 3.5" speakers. Just those coupled with the 6.5"s and an amp make it sound amazing. The biggest problem you face is that you are essentially sitting on your speaker and expecting it to sound good. Won't happen. 3.5"s are cheap too, and you wouldn't believe how much sound they can put out.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett View Post
Check out my thread for the dash mounted 3.5" speakers. Just those coupled with the 6.5"s and an amp make it sound amazing. The biggest problem you face is that you are essentially sitting on your speaker and expecting it to sound good. Won't happen. 3.5"s are cheap too, and you wouldn't believe how much sound they can put out.
Thanks for the info. I'll check out your build. I didn't really "expect" it to sound good. I knew it probably wouldn't but wanted to start with the easy ways to get speakers in. At the time I installed the stereo I was just prepping the truck for a road trip, doing an exhaust system, changing seats and modifying that, etc. I was very limited on time.

Now I'm working on making it better. Like everything else, I have to research it, learn what works and what doesn't, and go from there. I think I will end up with a pretty good system and be able to maintain the look I want.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Low Elco

I made a plate to put 2 4" coax in the factory grille in Yeller. Sealed to the underside of the dash. Works great, if we could get the damn radio to quit throbbing.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I made a plate to put 2 4" coax in the factory grille in Yeller. Sealed to the underside of the dash. Works great, if we could get the damn radio to quit throbbing.
I have the amp, just ordered some speakers for the dash...
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 4022i 4-Inch... Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 4022i 4-Inch...
Gonna wire up my 8" pair as a subwoofer. These additions and updates should clean up the sound, add some power, make it pretty good. Might still add kick panel speakers later. They would be the only visible part of the system.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
OneOffStroker

Swap your bench for buckets. It will free up a lot of area and help them sound better.
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks, but that's not gonna happen at this point. Just spent aver $1500 get the interior reupholstered and customized the seat. I put a pair of 4" in the stock dash location. Rewired the pair of 8" to work as a subwoofer. Added the amp and it sounds awesome now. Don't even need the kick panel speakers. The system is basically all out of sight. You can only see the head unit if you look under the front of the seat. I use the head unit remote and mostly listen to my mp3 player plugged into it. The amp and the dash speakers really made it work and the sub just makes it kick even harder. I love it.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
_Ogre

adding an amp can make a world of difference.
very nice interior.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Need to improve the sound of my system

Love that seat man! Very nice. I also bought the panels form 73bigblock but haven't installed them yet. The truck is at the shop having the 6.0 installed first. When I get it back I have to pull the seats and install the floor Hushmat. Already did the doors and back corners and wall of the cab. I do the panels then also. I haven't decided on what speakers I want in them yet either. What I have is 4 sets of speakers now. It sounds great but I want all the speakers I can get. I have 2 amps one for the 2-10" subs and 1 for the mids in the dash and the 3 ways under the seat. The tweeters and the new panels will run off the radio itself.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote