The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2014, 03:03 AM   #1
79GMCSierra

79 GMC Sierra Steering Column Advise

Hi All,

Just purchased a 79 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton fleetside and need some steering column advise please.

It's a 4.1L 250 I6 with a manual 3-speed trany. It's been converted to a floor shift. However I would like to put it back to the original column shift. Prior owner did not have any of the original column shift parts.

So here's my story...

The truck came with a damaged steering column. Someone tried to steal it from the prior owner and broke the the boss off the column that the shift lever attaches to, and damaged the housing. Also, it has a locking steering wheel, which I would like to do without if possible.

So my questions are...

Is there a 3-sp manual shift column that I can install with minimal mods that will eliminate the steering lock feature. And if so is there a thread on this forum that explains how it was done. I'm sure there will be some wiring issues if I use other than a 79 or possible later column.

I have removed the steering column and I"ll be heading to the junk yard soon and would like to be well informed and know what my options are before I go.

Many thanks,

Jim
79GMCSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: 79 GMC Sierra Steering Column Advise

Hi Jim,

You can go back as far as 1973 for a column & linkage that should be a direct bolt-in swap.

GM did change the coupling on the lower end of the steering column from a splined shaft to a double-D type shaft in 1979. So if you get a 73-78 column, be sure to get the matching intermediate shaft that goes with it ... that's the shaft that runs from the lower end of the column down to the steering box.

The 73-up columns are all going to have the locking steering wheel though. You could eliminate that by cutting off the lock pin or cutting down the notched locking plate that's at the upper end of the column under the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure you'll need to keep at least the center portion of that locking plate in place since it presses against a stiff spring that preloads the upper column bearings.

A 72 or older pickup column won't have the locking steering wheel. But it won't have the ignition switch on the column either. And the diameter is considerably smaller where it passes under (and mounts to) the lower part of the dash. Plus, 3-speed shifter linkage parts that connect the column to the trans changed quite a bit from 72 to 73.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
D13

The later columns seem to have improved internals. My 81 has held up much better than the 77. The shift mechanism wears and the levers jam, usually between 1 and 2.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
79GMCSierra

Hey guys thanks for all your suggestions. Much appreciated.

So my truck has a floor shifter and now works pretty good after I tightened it up LOL! I guess I'll just stay with the floor shifter and forget about converting it back to 3-On-The-Tree. Called a salvage yard that deals in older vehicles and they told me that the 3-sp column shifters are hard to come by. Not helping my situation...

So, now I'm on to finding a truck or car that has a floor shifter and buy just the parts I need, which would be the column covers just forward of the steering wheel hub, that goes through the dash.

The section that houses the shifter lever was completely broken off the column from the attempted theft I mentioned above. So with the floor shifter working good the column covers should do the trick. Took the column out of the truck yesterday and went through it completely. All cleaned up and lubed. Now I know more about shifter steering columns then I ever wanted to. Oh well knowledge is power!

Back to the salvage yard...

Last edited by 79GMCSierra; 01-12-2014 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Clean up
79GMCSierra is offline   Reply With Quote