The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
smitty62

Smile -----Wood Bed protection?---------

I just bought a beautifully restored '68 stepside that has a nice oak bed. This is going to be driven occasionally--not a garage queen. So I'm asking--is there any good ideas out there as to how to protect the bed against rain and sun? Every thing I can think of will damage the wood by holding moisture or scratching the finish over time--I know regular bedliners are notorious for this. I will also be hauling light stuff-(groceries, boxes, etc) I know I'm not the first with this problem, so c'mon, let me hear how YOU solved it. Thanks!
Smitty

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: -----Wood Bed protection?---------

I haven't run into this yet but I know some just keep like a moving blanket behind the seat and lay out under the boxes or suitcase or whatever. As far as the finish goes just a tough wood clear maybe? or the Thompson's waterseal. I know at our golf club our signs were sprayed with that stuff by my brother,they still look good he left that job and worked fro me like 5 years and he has been dead another 7. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Wood bed floors are like anything wood. They need good protection and that orange ball in the sky called the sun is the enemy of wood. Some sealers work better than others. I would check with someone who owns a wood boat and see what they use.

If you are going to use the bed, you will have to do periodic maintenance to it to keep the wood nice. I like the moving blanket idea for protection from scratches and scuffs.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
smitty62

Thanks guys, but I wasn't referring to the wood finish--it has a good varnish on it, but rather something I could cover the varnished wood and strips with for a semi-permanent solution. A moving blanket would work temporarily until it rained

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Syndrome

I paint houses professionally and when I do exterior stain grade front doors(wood) then I use automotive clear coat on them. It is UV resistant and VERY strong. I've been doing it for years and haven't had any issues with any of them so far, even though they are exposed to the sun and weather.

Just make sure there aren't any other clear coats already on it and that it isn't waxed already.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
68Stepbed

Wax it. It's really all that works. I've been looking at a way to get some sort of liner to keep in the bed to keep it covered as well. I just haven't come up with any practical ideas yet.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
DGulliver

The biggest issue I've seen with the wood beds is that most don't have enough done to the underside, which is where the rot starts. Guys will have the top looking like mom's hardwood floor, but not much protection underneath. I guess it's "eh, nobody'll see that..". A garage would be the best preservation short of what others have mentioned.
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Steve Hafner

. . . .

Heres what I used, it's made especially for finished wood . . . it goes on and off real easy.

Mine stays in the garage most of the time,
but the wax has been on there for three years and the wood still looks like the day I finished it.

The only thing it hauls now, is sailboat fuel !!!
( and an occasional yawn chair - wrapped in a blanket !!! )

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Steve Hafner

. . . .

It's so easy . . . even a fifth grader can do it !!!

( but he HAS to take his shoes off !!! )

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty62 View Post
Thanks guys, but I wasn't referring to the wood finish--it has a good varnish on it, but rather something I could cover the varnished wood and strips with for a semi-permanent solution. A moving blanket would work temporarily until it rained

Have you given any thought to a rubber bed mat when you use the truck for hauling something? I've read in other threads that the mats for 73-87 GM trucks fit pretty well, but the cutouts for the wheel wells are a bit large.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
Vorcutt

If you go to Mar-K's website, they have a long term test of different products and how they lasted on bed wood exposed to the elements. Pretty informative
www.mar-k.com
Vorcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Since it's already finished I would suggest a piece of carpet soft side down.The furniture blanket will work but if the carpet is cut to size,it wont let stuff slide around like a furniture blanket.It's just gonna have to come out when it rains.Other than that a bed rug and custom cover is the only thing that comes to mind.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
dbash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGulliver View Post
The biggest issue I've seen with the wood beds is that most don't have enough done to the underside, which is where the rot starts. Guys will have the top looking like mom's hardwood floor, but not much protection underneath. I guess it's "eh, nobody'll see that..". A garage would be the best preservation short of what others have mentioned.
I agree with DGulliver, My bed wood has the exact same treatment on all four sides, holes and the ends with a bit less sanding to the underside between coats.

Sorry for jumping on your thread but I was about to start one with the same question and this seemed more appropriate. I am looking for a solution to protect my bed as well. Truck will be in the Garage but I intend to drive it and will need access to the bed for "stuff" and trashing it is not an option.

Has anyone tried an 1-1/8th piece of plywood completely wrapped in carpet with the seams on top? I am concerned about it being stable enough not to mess up the paint if its not tight enough to avoid moving around much. It would be heavy but that helps it stay in place and is no good for rain but I can drive my dodge truck on rain days.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Attached Images

2008 Dodge 3500 Blue Tech
2013 Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Landcruiser Rock Crawler LS1
1969 4X4 Resto Mod
dbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty62 View Post
I would use 303 on it. That stuff is a crazy good UV protectant.

cheers
JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote