The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #51
SCHRUMGMC

Re: Ethanol Gas cause issues?

i cant get the fuel line off of the carb and get the pin off of the accelerator
Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #52
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
How was the Brake lights originally grounded and where was it located ?

I'm thinking on going with a ground strap
housing grounds to the body
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #53
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
i cant get the fuel line off of the carb and get the pin off of the accelerator
old truck, wd40 or penetrant should help. wrench made for brass fittings makes it easier and less likely to round off, catches four side and all six points.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #54
SCHRUMGMC

Getting the carb rebuilt now, looked at the old accelerator pump and it turned out to be in bad shape, the rebuild kit should do the truck
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2014, 01:11 AM   #55
SCHRUMGMC

Where do I adjust the Distributor at? I have finally came to a conclusion my Timing is way off because the Carb has been rebuilt, and everything has been replaced as far as I know. It was popping through the exhaust and idling horrible and I had to pull the Choke out for it to run better.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #56
Wheelie

I have replaced many vacuum advances and none of them caused what you are experiencing. Usually a bad vacuum advance causing less performance as the rpms rise. It will seem gutless (or even mores then it already is . A bad Vac. advance shouldn't cause sputtering and backfiring. Someone mentioned a lead additive as well and is required on old engines if you don't have hardened seats. If it is popping back through the intake or exhaust you may have a valve seating issue, bent pushrod or need to adjust valves. A leak down test would be ideal if this is the case and I would start by putting a vacuum guage on manifold vacuum. If the needle is jumpy you have a valve seating issue. I still think your main issue is in your carb. You can call your local parts store and give them the carb number stamped on your carb. I have never had an issue with getting a carb rebuild kit for any car. You just need to give the dummies behind the counter all the info they need because 90% have probably never even seen a 1 barrel carb.

*edit just realized you found the issue. awesome! To set your timing you just turn the distributor but you need a timing light to be exact. If you don't have one you can try and set it by ear.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #57
SCHRUMGMC

Its been rebuilt as well, I don't go to Advance,AutoZone or O'Reillys(Loved that place) I either go to NAPA or Carquest(I know the people). I doubt it'd be a bent pushrod, it is very very likely the timing is off and if it wasn't for the rain today the people could have came by and Tuned up the old truck, as of now its sitting out in the rain :'/ because it wasnt supposed to rain til 1 today but thankfully I thought of putting my Tarp on it so it should be good
Old 03-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #58
Old Truck Man

The day before yesterday a neighbor wanted me to come fix his H farmall. 4 cyl tractor. It had just mysteriously refused to start one morning. It was running fine. He shut it off and the next day nothing. So I go look at it. its been converted to electronic ignition. Firing good. Open the carb petcock there is gas. Fire and gas and it don't run??? gotta be compession. Well I ask him what all have you all been messing with? He tells me they just went and put a battery on it and it ran fine after they sprayed it with starting fluid. It hadn't been run in 6 months. Ran it a hour and shut it off. Next day It wouldn't start. So they drained the gas and put in 5 gallons of fresh gas. No help. So I pull the valve cover 4 pushrods off and slightly bent. every one a intake. I tap on the valves with a small hammer they move reluctantly. I drive one all the way open and it very slowly creeps back up and closes. I spray liguid wrench on the valve stems tap them open and eventually get them freed up. put the pushrods back on and it starts immediately. The stale corn unleaded had built varnish on the intake valve stems, As long as it was running it was ok. After it had set overnite the intakes where stickey. Pull the valve cover on your engine and check it out. do a compression check. look at your distributer cap it could be cracked. Check for a intake manifold vacuum leak . I bet I could pinpoint your problem and have it sorted in a jiffy. Any road there aint a piece of cast iron in the world that can fool ya unless ya let it.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #59
SCHRUMGMC

Thanks I will keep that in mind, but I doubt its bent pushrods etc..More than likely things need to be adjusted