The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
Mulk

Re: Mulk's 8-Lugger

Thanks... I've been laying low for a while due to work, funds, and family. But using the old 8-Lugger regularly.

However, over the last couple weeks I finally put the Burb on the side of the house to put in a step-notch and work on the new bag placement.

I'll get the photos up soon!

Anybody have any suggestions or part numbers for the shocks they are using for the extra travel? I'm looking at approx 11 inches of total travel.

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=403690
Mulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Average Joe

[QUOTE=Mulk;6705873]Thanks... I've been laying low for a while due to work, funds, and family. But using the old 8-Lugger regularly.

Glad to hear you are still on here. This is one of my favorite builds.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Mulk

Ok so lets get some photos up entailing what I've been up to over the last few weeks since I started working on this beast...

Actually I'll go back a few months on these two shots of my boy helping me pull the drive-shaft so we could replace the bearing. Had a blast with him helping, but this was about three months after I had my left shoulder rebuilt, so I was hurting.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I just wanted to give him a shout-out for his help. He doesn't make it into many photos unless my wife sneaks out and takes them

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
Mulk

Now onto the cutting and welding!!

I knew I was going to be raising the entire floor, so I just cut out all the old plywood in section, and kept them for templates.

I've always got my helper around. Here he's guarding the 45 gal tank in case someone decides to run off with it.

I was careful when removing the inner fenders, and kept them as intact as possible. Took a little extra time, but should pay-off in the end.

Ah the joys of working on a 46 year old project, and then sneaking into the clean shower before the wife gets ahold of me.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Mulk

I had ordered a step notch, and some brackets to mount the bags over the axle a while back (prob while hopped-up on shoulder meds), and just never got around to getting them in place. So i figured why not wait until it's 100+ degrees here in vegas to get started

After measuring, scratching my head, and measuring some more, I took the plunge and put these beauties in place.

Here's the sweet Dana 60 8-Lugger tucked into her new home

Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Mulk

For whatever reason (actually came down to room), I decided to scrap the idea of putting the bags right over the axles. Therefore, I was left with a set of brackets I wasn't going to use, the old brackets I had laying around, and a section of 3x3 tubing I had for the cross brace between the notches.

So I cut apart and cleaned the pieces I thought I might use, and whittled-away on the tubing. Here's what I ended up with...

Upper...

I ended up cutting most of the wedged portion off after changing my mounting location, and rounded the back section of the plate so it wouldn't rub the bag when down.

Lowers...

Then I made some extensions to wrap around the top of the tube.

Everything in place. I mounted the bags with a ride height of 6.5 inches +/-, and then added an inch so the bags wouldn't be completely compressed when laid-out. I Hope this works hahaha

Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
ratty65

Who did you get the step notch from ?
ratty65 is offline   Reply With Quote