The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Lee H

Re: Question for the guys with OEM 71-72 sport mirrors

Is the problem it won't adjust far enough toward the door to see the rear quarter?

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Steve Cole

Yes. The mirror contacts the arm before it moves far enough to be of any use.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Yes. The mirror contacts the arm before it moves far enough to be of any use.
OK, at the risk of being booed off, I’ll offer this. If you can see your quarter panels, or close to it while seated your blind spots are not covered. To adjust the mirrors to get the blind spots covered, sit in driver’s seat and lean your head to the left until it just touches window, adjust mirror until you can just see the rear edge of the rear quarter. Then lean inboard about the same amount, should be about centered in the car, and adjust the passenger’s side mirror. When viewing all three mirrors you want the smallest amount of overlap possible. This method will all but eliminate the blind spots.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
slow-1

I have found that if you rotate the mirror slightly clockwise the mirror will miss the arm and you can adjust it in enough to see a little bit, but its still limited as the mirror is flat and needs to be convex.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
GoaterAz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
OK, at the risk of being booed off, I’ll offer this. If you can see your quarter panels, or close to it while seated your blind spots are not covered. To adjust the mirrors to get the blind spots covered, sit in driver’s seat and lean your head to the left until it just touches window, adjust mirror until you can just see the rear edge of the rear quarter. Then lean inboard about the same amount, should be about centered in the car, and adjust the passenger’s side mirror. When viewing all three mirrors you want the smallest amount of overlap possible. This method will all but eliminate the blind spots.
I'm right there with you, Lee. That's exactly what I learned online and it felt really goofy at first but it's the only way to eliminate blind spots. You learn to trust it with time.

I was disappointed when I first started reading this thread because those were the mirrors that I planned on installing, but I thought people were complaining that they couldn't open them up far enough, but after learning the opposite, these might be pefect for me! lol.

I'd really like to hear from someone that has these, adjust them as described above and see how you like them. Be warned, it feels like your shoes are on the wrong feet at first, lol.

Me neither.
GoaterAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
scrapmetalart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoaterAz View Post
I'm right there with you, Lee. That's exactly what I learned online and it felt really goofy at first but it's the only way to eliminate blind spots. You learn to trust it with time.

I was disappointed when I first started reading this thread because those were the mirrors that I planned on installing, but I thought people were complaining that they couldn't open them up far enough, but after learning the opposite, these might be pefect for me! lol.

I'd really like to hear from someone that has these, adjust them as described above and see how you like them. Be warned, it feels like your shoes are on the wrong feet at first, lol.
im with you guys. don't need to see the side of your truck, you know where that is. its the blind spot that's the problem. I don't have a passenger mirror but my drivers mirror is off a vega. similar in looks I can see fine out of it