The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
brad_man_72
the boat guy

any benifits to running a C4 IRS on a mild 67?

I found a C4 IRS in a pile of trash at auction, trying to decide wether to put it under my truck or make some money on it. My truck is a pretty mild build, I like my 4-6 drop stance and want to keep it. No notch. Some towing and hauling, I will probably use air shocks to tune height with a load along with the stock monoleaf.
I'm wondering if there will be a notable improvement in handling. I know the vette stuff is designed for a vehicle with a lower roll center (I'm running a fuel cell below the bed).
The mounts look pretty simple, batwing bushings sit wide enough to place mounts on outside of frame, the foreward links will require some big mounts and ill have to tune in some anti-squat when I design those.
So no notch, batwing below the frame, mild drop benifits over straight axle. All of the trucks I've seen running C4 IRS have huge notches or have been back halfed.
Attached Images

66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: any benifits to running a C4 IRS on a mild 67?

I would flip it and get some more stuff for your truck.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
franken

I wonder about the weight, and center of gravity difference. Later vehicles are pretty heavy, but I'm pretty sure even lowered SWB trucks are stressing the parts more than a Vette.

More weight and more torque or downforce on the outer side, and lift on the inner in a turn. I think these effects actually multiply.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
brad_man_72
the boat guy

70 views and nobody thinks the vette rear would be an improvement over a 12 bolt sitting on the bumpstops?
Not saying the vette will have much more travel....
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
crossfire84

You're missing a lot of parts in the picture. And it appears to be a Dana 36, theres a reason it's in the trash.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Missing half shafts, shocks, and sway bar, anything else? The car was hit in the front.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
PGSigns

With the amount of work and cost to put it in there and no improvement in ride, handling or strength whats the point?
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
With the amount of work and cost to put it in there and no improvement in ride, handling or strength whats the point?
Jimmy
That's what I was asking about jimmy. Would there be an improvement in ride or handling?
Apparently people with 4th gen camaros are seeing good results from the irs swap. Less unsprung weight, irs, disc brakes, better posi, less miles than the rear that's in it, I don't see how it wouldn't be an improvement.
There's kits to run the c4 front suspension on a c10....
Its probably an improvement for trucks with a big notch that ride lower than mine.
I drive pretty agressivley, enjoy autocrossing my miata, there's tons of curvy roads around here, my truck already has an agressive alignment for even tire wear.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
PGSigns

The truck arms we have are well suited to good handling and with a few upgrades are hard to beat. The are under every Nascar chassis. With the addition of a long track bar like the Porterbuilt, a set of urathane bushings in the truck arms and a good set of springs and shocks it will out handle any IRS. And it will cost a fraction of the swap to the vette parts you have.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I already have a long panhard bar and stiff suspension. I guess that's all there is to it. Nascar cars aren't exactly known for their great handeling, besides drag racing are there any other fast racecars that use a solid axle? I think karts are about the quickest road racing vehicles using a solid axle.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
PGSigns

I used to letter a lot of SCCA road race cars and a good bit of them had a solid rear. If you want to see how well a NASCAR chassis will handle with truck arm go to your local short track and watch the late models. They will be running truck arms. A stiff suspension does not mean it will be good handling. To stiff a set of springs or a shock with to tight a dampening rate will cause issues just as much as to soft set. There are some very good handling cars with IRS. But we are dealing with a very heavy, nose heave truck and they may not do as well with one.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
I already have a long panhard bar and stiff suspension. I guess that's all there is to it. Nascar cars aren't exactly known for their great handeling, besides drag racing are there any other fast racecars that use a solid axle? I think karts are about the quickest road racing vehicles using a solid axle.
If you have to ask if there are any benefits to running a C4 IRS in a C10, I doubt you would benefit from the swap because you won't have the knowledge/patience for tuning the set-up to reap the benefits of IRS (the average Joe wouldn't be able to reap any possible benefits vs. an experienced pro).

Truck arms will handle if they're tuned for that purpose. They'll also plant the tires much better vs that Dana 36 IRS & even inexperienced guys can tune them.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #13
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I have to ask if there would be any benifits of running a C4 IRS in a c10.......... with a mild drop, under bed fuell cell, and stock frame. If I could mount the rear end at any height and tune the control arm angles it would be a no brainer for a full custom race truck. Being limited with not wanting to cut my frame, not modify my bed, and not change my ride height complicates matters just a bit.

I am aware of the approximate angles needed for best lateral traction and anti squat. What I'm not aware of is my trucks roll center, cg, the corvettes roll center, cg, and suspension angles on the vette or if the vette suspension was even tuned properly from the factory for a vette.

I'm running an auto trans with less than 400hp on street tires, dana 36 should be able to handle that all day long.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 07-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
I have to ask if there would be any benifits of running a C4 IRS in a c10.......... with a mild drop, under bed fuell cell, and stock frame. If I could mount the rear end at any height and tune the control arm angles it would be a no brainer for a full custom race truck. Being limited with not wanting to cut my frame, not modify my bed, and not change my ride height complicates matters just a bit.

I am aware of the approximate angles needed for best lateral traction and anti squat. What I'm not aware of is my trucks roll center, cg, the corvettes roll center, cg, and suspension angles on the vette or if the vette suspension was even tuned properly from the factory for a vette.

I'm running an auto trans with less than 400hp on street tires, dana 36 should be able to handle that all day long.
Gotcha.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote