The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #101
NONHOG

Re: Was it karma? or "Why Glass Fuel Filters Suck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawdoc View Post
As usual, a very informative forum thread.

if one is using rubber sections w/hose clamps at the filter, what is the point of flaring all of the other connections for the fuel line. Either rubber is safe or it is not. What am I missing here?

-Alden
I think you touched on subjects outside of the thread topic but related.
As far as rubber hose and flaring. Not sure I understand your question.
Seems pretty simple that a flare adds protection to the hose connection.
A vehicle wont typically see someone yanking on a hose to pull it free of the line but why not make it safe? Try pulling a hose off a line w/o a flare in your vise at home. Then with a flare. Pretty basic, the factory used flares . Unless I missed your point?
Possible?

I'm no expert, but not a newb. I too learn much from this site.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #102
thelawdoc

Nonhog, sorry, I did not realize that my post would put the thread out on a tangent. It is just that, after reading the initial post and feeling bad for the guy, I found myself thinking...

Obviously, flaring reduces risk and should be used at every opportunity. I think I was just trying to find out the "final word" about hose sections w/clamps at the filters. Risky or not? Since I am redoing a lot on my recently acquired '65 C10, I am wondering whether to use steel/flaring at the inline filter.

-Alden
thelawdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #103
Purcell69

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawdoc View Post
Nonhog, sorry, I did not realize that my post would put the thread out on a tangent. It is just that, after reading the initial post and feeling bad for the guy, I found myself thinking...

Obviously, flaring reduces risk and should be used at every opportunity. I think I was just trying to find out the "final word" about hose sections w/clamps at the filters. Risky or not? Since I am redoing a lot on my recently acquired '65 C10, I am wondering whether to use steel/flaring at the inline filter.

-Alden
I'm guessing you are talking about a steel or aluminum hardline with flared fittings, threaded directly in to the fuel filter housing, vs. using rubber joints and hose clamps to make the same connection?

If you have the ability to fabricate hard lines, that would always be best. If you are using rubber fuel hose in places, be sure to use the correct type of hose for your fuel system, (ie. fuel injection hose for EFI systems instead of standard rubber fuel line.)

-Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #104
franken

GM used soft lines for short lengths before the mechanical fuel pump.
GM used hard lines after the fuel pump on pressurized lines.
Flared tubing is used with flare fittings.
You can buy inline filters for use with flare fittings.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #105
thelawdoc

Joe, franken, Yes, I am intending on using steel brake line, bubble flared, for the filters, regulator, and gauge tee. I am sure small lengths of fuel hose w/clamps would be fine, but I am just doing it all in steel. I am carbureted, so we are talking about pretty low psi, like 3.5, but I just like the appearance of steel lines and the fittings. -Alden
thelawdoc is offline   Reply With Quote