The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #26
jsmithbm

Re: 1970 cst project

I would cover the hole with something other than just filler, condensation and moisture will attack the filler from the back side and will cause you problems down the road. I vote for a metal patch, or something similiar

Last edited by jsmithbm; 07-12-2009 at 09:31 AM.
jsmithbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #27
crimespree

So i got some stuff done over the last week or so. here is a list of stuff i can scratch off the list...

Get a bill of sale / tag
Drive the truck from my buddies shop to my house.
Swapped out my stock gm hei ignition module for an msd ignition module with adjustable rev limiter.
traveled to ball ground georgia to pick up a hood i got from board member sdaily.

somehow my choke flipped down while i was driving and since i was in traffic i didnt stop and find out. i fouled all my plugs and thought i had burnt up my rotor / cap since it was the one that had been sitting for 10 years or so. so i swapped that out along with all the plugs.

i am very new to the world of motors and tuning stuff and trouble shooting. so in the midst of changing the rotor and cap i noticed that my choke was closed. didnt think anything of it. it was all in all a big ordeal that kept my truck down for a couple days that could have easily been avoided. but lesson learned. also i somehow disconnected the vacuum line from the carb that goes to the module on the side of the transmission so it then started not shifting up properly. got that figured out. i will have pictures up soon i just have to get a chance to upload everything.

1970 CST - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=350091

1979 Yamaha xs650 bobber - sold

2008 Harley Nightster
crimespree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #28
jsmithbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimespree View Post
So i got some stuff done over the last week or so. here is a list of stuff i can scratch off the list...

Get a bill of sale / tag
Drive the truck from my buddies shop to my house.
Swapped out my stock gm hei ignition module for an msd ignition module with adjustable rev limiter.
traveled to ball ground georgia to pick up a hood i got from board member sdaily.

****Dude, i was there last week i could have gotten that hood for you, I dont know where i would have put it! I guess i could have tied it to the roof LOL< Shannon and Alan were ribbing me for putting the fenders in the trunk. They are some good folks. Next month you should come by the Po'Boys cruise in. There are a ton of cars there. Are you still working in Atlanta?

somehow my choke flipped down while i was driving and since i was in traffic i didnt stop and find out. i fouled all my plugs and thought i had burnt up my rotor / cap since it was the one that had been sitting for 10 years or so. so i swapped that out along with all the plugs.
**Sorry to hear that. ***

i am very new to the world of motors and tuning stuff and trouble shooting. so in the midst of changing the rotor and cap i noticed that my choke was closed. didnt think anything of it. it was all in all a big ordeal that kept my truck down for a couple days that could have easily been avoided. but lesson learned. also i somehow disconnected the vacuum line from the carb that goes to the module on the side of the transmission so it then started not shifting up properly. got that figured out. i will have pictures up soon i just have to get a chance to upload everything.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #29
crimespree

So since i work out of town and only get to work on my truck on the weekends, i am starting to acquire a bunch of parts that i need to clean up and and install. so far i have -

hood hinges and a hood that isnt half bondo, power steering pump, and brackets. im about to start working up a console for cup holders and a cd player and speakers.

i do however have a question. my truck was originally equipped with air conditioning which i am planning to replace in due time. my alternator is on the drivers side which is the same side as my power steering pump destination. does anyone have any pictures of their power steering setup with the alt on the same side? and consoles. i need ideas.

2008 Harley Nightster
Old 08-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #30
crimespree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithbm View Post
im not sure when i am going back to atlanta. ive been in brunswick / waycross for a week. im hoping for a week off so i can get some stuff in the blasting cab and get my hood on. still trying to figure out what color i want my brackets/hood hinges. i want it to look good but i dont really want to bring a bunch of attention to them. im thinking hammered black or silver. i saw where stacy david did some lowering on a 73 and painted the springs a wrinkle bronze but i think thats too gangsta for what im trying to do.

2008 Harley Nightster
Old 08-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #31
nitrojunkie383

Quote:
im not sure when i am going back to atlanta. ive been in brunswick / waycross for a week. im hoping for a week off so i can get some stuff in the blasting cab and get my hood on. still trying to figure out what color i want my brackets/hood hinges. i want it to look good but i dont really want to bring a bunch of attention to them. im thinking hammered black or silver. i saw where stacy david did some lowering on a 73 and painted the springs a wrinkle bronze but i think thats too gangsta for what im trying to do.
That black hammered paint is what I used on my sissy bar. That stuff would look great on the hinges.
nitrojunkie383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #32
crimespree

so i got all my "new" parts sandblasted and painted and started cleaning up the new hood. check out the pics.

before

after

here are the hood hinges and springs after blasting and paint...

i used high temp wrinkle black paint on the power steering bracket and will be pulling off all other brackets and doing them in the same fashion shortly.

hood after roughing up the rust spots...

everything i had after paint.

hopefully this weekend i will finally have the trucks trim holes welded up so i can prime the whole thing.

how long will primer keep out rust before i have to paint it?

and where (forgive me for being a super amateur) do i mount my power steering on i know the alt hast to stay on the drivers side due to air conditioning components.

this is the reason im swapping my hood hinges...

if anyone has pics of their power steering set up mounted with their alternator i would most definitely appreciate it.

2008 Harley Nightster

Last edited by crimespree; 08-18-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #33
mcbassin
Still Learning

I will be following this build! I like what your doing. One question, your friend said "come and get it"......like come and get it FREE? That's crazy!

I too have a 1970 CST. Mine is a 3/4 ton pretty much all original 396/400 drive train. I am probably going to restore it as a 1/2 ton short wide. Call me crazy or old school but I love the factory look of these 69-70 models. You can shave this and that but I think Chevy got it right from the factory. don't get me wrong I love a full on custom too, but the one I will be driving again one of these days, with exception of the wheels and tires will look a lot like the bottom pic here:

My old bomb:
LINK

My future truck:
LINK

Last edited by mcbassin; 01-07-2015 at 09:13 AM.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #34
crimespree

also this is not far from my house. the guy wants 1000 for it. wish i had the money.

http://dothan.craigslist.org/cto/1329888787.html

2008 Harley Nightster
Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #35
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Nice progress!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #36
crimespree

so my girlfriend and i were hangin out today and i decided we should take a ride to florida and back on my harley. florida is only about 20 minutes away but i had heard there was a 67-72ish chevy pick up "back in some field". going on this vague address, we started out on our journey. i noticed a 72 c10 in a field and thought that it looked way way off the road and thought maybe i should keep cruisin and see if maybe i was jumping the gun on this one. so i kept going. about 3 city blocks later i stumble upon this....

holy moly. 69 swb inline 6 (not sure of the size) 3 on the tree. assuming its a th350. the downside is that there isnt a body panel thats not beat up. but the plus side is that.... its only 400 bucks. thats how much i payed for a cv axle replacement on my car... YESTERDAY. i kicked myself kind of. im hyped my car isnt sketchy any more but a short wheel frame sounds great. especially for 400 . so now i need you all to tell me either, screw it its not worth working on (i wouldnt do a thing to the body) or, when are you going to find another truck for $400 stop questioning and snag her up.

2008 Harley Nightster
Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #37
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Snag her up swb 400 bucks is cheap... At least around here anyways..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #38
mcbassin
Still Learning

I would definetly snag it up here for that kind of cash! I would just for a spare. In fact, you might be able to bargain the guy down even more....you never know. The only thing I would say is make sure the frame is straight..well as straight as it should be, not kinked or noticeably bent any where. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #39
HuggerCST

Cool truck! Looks familiar too.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #40
crimespree

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerCST View Post
Cool truck! Looks familiar too.

i actually primed the front fenders and doors about an hour after you posted this. im really struggling trying to figure out what color i want to do now. this is my thoughts. leave the cowl part under the cowl hugger orange and paint the actual cowl either black or a dark charcoal. i really like black / orange paint schemes because im a harley fan. my interior is all hugger orange also and in pretty good shape.

im still trying to get around to sealing the trim holes and whatnot. if it werent for the bedside on the drivers side and its bondo work, i would just go ahead and shoot the whole truck with primer. im going to leave the top of the cab as is for now so i can keep the modernish rat rod look.

also after painful consideration, i opted not to buy the 69 swb fleet. someone needs to get it though. it needs a good home. pm me if you would like the owners info.

2008 Harley Nightster
Old 05-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #41
crimespree

Wow, I just looked and it has been almost 2 years since I posted any progress. I bet you all are thinking that I am going to post some pics of a close to finished truck. No way. At the moment, The front clip is off, being sanded and primed. The trim holes finally got filled on the drivers side (it just got done last week.) and the holes on the passenger side will be filled when i get my front end back together and can turn my truck around. Currently I am just waking up after a mild night of whiskey and now I am headed over to the shop to try and get some works done. Hopefully by today I will have the inner fenders primed / undercoated and back in on the truck. It feels good to be back though. I haven't really done anything at all with it since the last time I posted.

2008 Harley Nightster
Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #42
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Wow, I just looked and it has been almost 2 years since I posted any progress. I bet you all are thinking that I am going to post some pics of a close to finished truck. No way. At the moment, The front clip is off, being sanded and primed. The trim holes finally got filled on the drivers side (it just got done last week.) and the holes on the passenger side will be filled when i get my front end back together and can turn my truck around. Currently I am just waking up after a mild night of whiskey and now I am headed over to the shop to try and get some works done. Hopefully by today I will have the inner fenders primed / undercoated and back in on the truck. It feels good to be back though. I haven't really done anything at all with it since the last time I posted.
Wow! it has been a long time. How about some pictures?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #43
crimespree

I have gotten both inner fenders sanded and painted and undercoated, I am still working on painting the inside of the fenders. The undercoating is duplicolor bed armor and it went on awesomely. The fumes are intense though so if you use it, be sure to ventilate the area and rock a respirator.

2008 Harley Nightster

Last edited by crimespree; 05-20-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #44
crimespree

I got my fenders thrown back on today and set my truck back on the ground. The space I am working in is kind of confined. I think next week I am going to work on pulling the bed so I can sand the back of the cab and prime it. I will be doing some body work leading up to this so I can prime the whole front half of the truck at one time. I am really excited to see it as 1 color.

Here are the inner inner fenders / inside of my engine compartment.

2008 Harley Nightster
Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #45
Krooked Kustoms

Gday, ya still got ya truck?? Any progress? Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device
Krooked Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #46
crimespree

I will also add this here… So, I had been using my truck as a daily driver for about 8 months up until last May. Everything was great and it was super dependable other than a few small hiccups here and there. I had a valve spring break and when the guy replaced it, somehow knocked a wire loose from my alternator. So after the truck conked out on my way home from work, I just got a ride to a dealership and picked up a car. But now…

I was going to replace the alternator and figured I would have mine tested first. It worked, that is how I came to discover a wire knocked loose. Well I was out this weekend trying to get that mechanical fuel pump to get some gas to the carb and the rear fuel bowl started leaking…. There is a brassish looking plug with no adjustment screw or threads. It is leaking out of there. It is a single feed carb with a fuel rail that runs down the drivers side. I asked a couple people and they said to JB weld it. I don't run ethanol gas in it and I haven't been able to find anywhere online that explains what the hell the plug does in the first place. Any ideas/input?

2008 Harley Nightster
Old 01-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #47
crimespree

Or could it just be a stuck float?

2008 Harley Nightster
Old 01-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #48
mcbassin
Still Learning

I wish I could help you with your carb. problem but I have never had any luck at all fixing one. Back when I ran a carbed engine, I got to the point of just buying new ones. That was hit and miss too.
From the picture, it's hard to tell if there is any way to remove that plug?
I'm not sure if the JB weld would stay, I suppose it would if you get it clean and dry enough.

Anyway, it's good to see after all these years you're still driving truck. I am glad to say, I'm finally driving mine too