The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
jcd9730

Leak! I don't know what this is

I have a 200r4 and I discovered this is leaking on it, pretty rapidly. You can see the fluid in the picture. What is this, and what should I do?
Attached Images

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
jcd9730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
jcd9730

Re: Leak! I don't know what this is

Servo cover I think?

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
Old 02-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Looks like it leaking around a billet Servo in that 200-4R.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
jcd9730

How do I fix it?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
hamjet

It looks recently rebuilt? Thats the servo cover, best bet is to take it to a trans place and have them check it out, or if you had someone rebuild it take it back to them.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
jcd9730

Yeah, it's only 1.5 years old. My warranty was only for a year, so if it's fairly straightforward I'd rather do it myself for cheap

Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd9730 View Post
How do I fix it?
Get a new servo cover o-ring, depress the cover and remove the snap ring holding it in then remove the cover and servo assembly. A long pry-bar will suffice to depress the cover, and pop the snap ring out.

The snap ring might be the most difficult part, maybe have a friend hold the pry bar so you can use both hands. The reason is that it's easy to scratch things up when trying to get behind the snap ring. Sometimes there will be an access hole on the side of the case to be able to push the snap ring inward but not all the time.

Look for scratches or gouges on the o-ring sealing surface and tapered area then polish if necessary. Deep gouges will require epoxy fill-in then polish flush.

Get some trans assembly lube or Vaseline and lube the trans case for the o-ring to slide in. Put the assembly lube/Vaseline on the servo seals themselves to keep them from falling out on re-assembly.

Put the new o-ring on the cover carefully as to not scratch the o-ring sealing surface, and if it's already scratched, repair or replace as necessary. Install the servo assembly (make sure the pin goes all the way into the band, it should feel springy as the band springs outward) then the cover and depress to install the wire clip. Test-install without an o-ring on the cover first, the cover should be able to depress about an 1/8" or so below the clip before and after. If it does not depress the same going in as it did going out something is amiss like maybe the servo pin might not be all the way in the band.

Your servo may not be identical to the one in the picture, not sure if it will have a spacer or not. Just put it together the way it came apart and it will work the same as it does now.

Put the new o-ring on the cover, install the servo assembly then the cover and depress to install the wire clip.

Included is a picture of "scarf cut seals" (not a servo just typical scarf cut seals). This is how they should look on the tapered parts when installed correctly, with the angle setting against the other angle.

Do NOT lay a flat side against an angle on the scarf cut seals.
Attached Images

mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
jcd9730

Hmm that doesn't sound too bad. The snap ring may be hard, it's a very tight fit up there. I think I'll try and if I end up not having time I'll take it to a shop. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd9730 View Post
Yeah, it's only 1.5 years old. My warranty was only for a year, so if it's fairly straightforward I'd rather do it myself for cheap
You never know, since it's nothing major they may throw a new oring in it for you free of charge.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
kwmech

Somewhere around the edge there may be a hole to push a punch into to start the snap ring removal. Push the puc in a little then push a punch into the hole then get a small screwdriver under the snap ring and wiggle out.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote