The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
Mindl3ss

Re: The Mindl3ss slow progress build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
I'm thinking after you restore the frame, suspension and steering, just reseal the engine and drive it while you fix it up.
Yeah, I'll probably go back and forth a few times on it. Smashing my thumb and making very little progress on removing dirt/gunk and what not. I need to play patient definitely has me leaning toward "forget it, replace the stupid thing." I did name this "slow progress," didn't I? Just gotta play patient.

I'm buying all my own tools at the same so I dig in and it's like "oh, I need a cylinder hone." Last time I did any major engine work a buddy brought over anything I needed. This isn't a new hobby for me, but it's the first time I've done anything big on my own budget since being married.
2015 Colorado Z71
Mindl3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #27
Mindl3ss

Not much of an update on truck progress, because there really hasn't been any this week, but a few updates that affect it.

I did not like the engine stand from Harbor Freight. It did the job, but made things much more difficult than they need to be. It seemed to be holding up just fine, but that's about it. I could barely rotate the engine, and I couldn't get my crane around the wide leg stance. I returned it. Glad they have a no questions asked return policy.

So with the funds from returning the engine stand, and a few extra bucks from working some overtime, I bought an impact hammer and several other misc tools from Harbor Freight. Then I picked up a few more jack stands and a creeper, both on sale at Sears. And I managed to find a $20 sand blaster on craigslist. It was local, so I went and checked it out yesterday. Needs a little work, but for $20 I'm very happy. It will be good for cleaning up some small parts. I need to build a stand for it.

Now the down side is I don't have an engine stand anymore. The engine is back on the ground for the moment. I really want a good stand with a worm gear mechanism and a smaller foot print. Seems the only way to get that is to build it... I've been saying it for a while, but I think it's time I learn to weld.
2015 Colorado Z71
Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #28
Mindl3ss

I've not made any progress on this other than unloading some of the parts I wasn't going to use.

Sold the 0.060 over 350 and the transmission, and the rear end that turned out to be wrong.

I opened up the 12 bolt that's on the truck and it's missing a few teeth on the ring gear.

After removing the bed and contemplating what to do with the frame I'm starting to wonder if I am over my head on the project. I definitely am where I'm at right now, but even in the future?

I'm looking at the prospect of moving in the next year, hopefully sooner rather than later. If I do I will have to either sell or keep the truck in storage.

There's no way I can get what I paid for the thing, but if I move then I have to tow it 300 miles and find somewhere to put it. It's going to sit for 3-4 years until I get in to my next house. I've got storage at my parent's but I don't think they are too keen on me working on it there.

It may just be time to sell and find a driver once I get moved. So I've got a frame, body and most of a bed. Wonder what I can get for it all.
2015 Colorado Z71