The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
jobrla

Front windshield gasket option

After close to 5 years, the frame-off 72 blazer is just about there. I am to the point of glass install. I have done the entire build myself but refuse to mess with the glass.
My gasket for the front is the one that requires the extra slit to accomadate the decorative stainless trim.
My question, is it worth paying extra for the gasket from STEELRUBBER or is the gasket from LMC okay.
Second, is the repo trim from LMC worth it, or try and find original from salvage.

Thanks
jobrla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Front windshield gasket option

Congrats! Maybe I'll see it around NM someday. See here for answers to your questions: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484773

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
superlifted

My 6 year blazer project is hitting the road in 3 weeks. I'm getting my glass put in after it gets out of paint. I'm ecstatic. Don't have any help with the gaskets but I saw you both are from NM do had to say something. Haha
Old 06-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
jobrla

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlifted View Post
My 6 year blazer project is hitting the road in 3 weeks. I'm getting my glass put in after it gets out of paint. I'm ecstatic. Don't have any help with the gaskets but I saw you both are from NM do had to say something. Haha
Congrats Dude,
Old 06-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
michael bustamante

i used an LMC. i couldnt get all my trim to lay down properly all the way around. but i think that was a installer issue (me)
if you need trim i think i have the 69 on up stainless. if you come to albuq, you can check it out.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
pound41

Stainless has to go in before the glass. I watched 3 professionals struggle to get mine in. I got it from LMC 10 years ago. I personally did not like the fit up against the inside lip compared with the old. Hopefully they have been improved,
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrla View Post
After close to 5 years, the frame-off 72 blazer is just about there. I am to the point of glass install. I have done the entire build myself but refuse to mess with the glass.
My gasket for the front is the one that requires the extra slit to accomadate the decorative stainless trim.
My question, is it worth paying extra for the gasket from STEELRUBBER or is the gasket from LMC okay.
Second, is the repo trim from LMC worth it, or try and find original from salvage.

Thanks
STEELRUBBER does not make the windshield they sell . They sell Precision brand windshield weatherstrip seals at a significant mark up. Find original trim ESPECIALLY for 71-72 windshields and then use a precision brand seal for the weatherstrip for the best fit. Find a glass installer with experience with the 67-72 windshield with trim installation. most of the younger guys get it wrong. Also be aware most installers do not bother to smear caulking on the windshield frame opening before beginning installing the windshield and then fail to use weatherstrip cement under outside edges of the windshield seal after installation which will most often lead to your new seal leaking. So be sure they follow GM factory recommendations and smear caulking on the windshield frame opening before beginning installing the windshield and then to use weatherstrip cement under outside edges of the windshield seal after installation. the trim should always be installed in seal prior to installation and do not believe them if they say that a portion of the trim sticking up after installation just needs time to seat its self as if it's not fully in the trim groove after install they failed to do the install correctly. Failed to mention that prior to install they should lay 6 glass spacer blocks on window lip opening 4 on bottom ( 1 at each corner followed by 1 9" over then the other 2 go above centered between the lower 2 blocks ) and lay glass on blocks to check shape of glass to opening, if curvative is correct they should then check the flange lip to make sure gap and window frame is even all the way around and bend flange as needed for alignment.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls

Last edited by GMCPaul; 06-09-2015 at 05:46 AM.
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
jobrla

Thanks GMC for all vital information. Hope I have a better turn out than a few I have heard from.