The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #26
Stranny64

Re: New Member from CT ('68 C20)

I changed out my mirrors also. I just bought some nice stainless Allan screw bolts with black nylon washers and put them in.
1968 Custom Camper C/20, rebuilt original 327 with 350 hp., turbo 400 with shift kit, factory AC truck, original patina rust free paint from Oregon, 2/4 lowering springs + 1" blocks, GM 2500 8 bolt rally's with dually center caps with Firestone Destination 245/75-R16's. (My 50th birthday present from my wife!!!)
Stranny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #27
markmdz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
That's cool you're making some good progress!
And you're not out of your mind... that upholstery rocks!!
thanks. so which would you go with? the black/silver or the bad 70's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranny64 View Post
I changed out my mirrors also. I just bought some nice stainless Allan screw bolts with black nylon washers and put them in.
Oddly enough, I bought exactly that, except I got phillips head stainless bolts and neoprene washers.
markmdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #28
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmdz View Post
thanks. so which would you go with? the black/silver or the bad 70's?
Oh, I'd go all out 70's... love it.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #29
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmdz View Post
Very nice. What did you do with the holes on the doors left behind when you took the mirrors off?
I just sealed them off on the backside with a fiberglass patch. My doors aren't very good so I wasn't looking for something great.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #30
tommys72

nice truck!

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #31
Dirty Girl

Nice Score!!!! Welcome to the board from NC!!!!
Dirty Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #32
markmdz

Updates: (Some good, some bad) (multiple posts to follow)

New ACC black carpet with backing arrived earlier this week and the test fit looks good. I'm a little annoyed I have to cut the holes in it for the shifter, but it'll work out just fine.

I also bought a full set of body mounts to replace the hockey pucks the previous owner used. Granted they look and work fine, but I'd rather have the proper mounts in.

Bumper and trim has been repainted, here's a shot of everything in a nickel finish color (i haven't put the top grille hoop on, but it's ready to go).

Swan hood ornament removed. I still have the two holes, but I'd rather the holes than the swan. That'll get figured out soon enough.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #33
markmdz

The seat was completely disassembled, all broken springs replaced, then fully wire brushed and shot in a gloss black.

Next, the attention was turned to the seat foam, which was a little beat, but saveable. I cut the chunks out that were in rough shape, then glued new foam in and shaped it. After all was done there, I put a 3/4" topcover in new firm green foam to even out any of the slight variations followed by 1/2" poly batting and heavy cotton. Then a new bottom cover of heavy tweed was glued to wrap the bottom of the foam. The factory burlap worked well enough, but I opted for tweed because it's a bit more durable than burlap and has a tighter weave and sized backing so it should hold up much better.

For the seat back, I ended up tying all the springs together with twine, like the old school furniture makers have been doing for years. Next, the spring base was wrapped in burlap, then went a 2" firm green foam followed by 3/4" poly batting and a final wrap in a heavy cotton.

Now I need to spend an afternoon behind a sewing machine making all the new upholstery. I'm really not looking forward to that because it's so time-consuming and i'm a perfectionist but without the upholstering experience of a pro, so it'll take me longer and I'm sure I'll have to re-do a bunch along the way.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #34
markmdz

The bad news...

I was dead wrong about the floor. It looks like the p.o. took a donor floor pan from another truck and welded/riveted it in and also made a few sheet metal patches along the way (hence the uneven sills from one side to another). So, I'm faced with either repairing or replacing the floor entirely. ...I'll have my welder buddy swing by and take a look for me. It's not a show-stopper, but definitely adds to the expenses and slows things down. Either way, I'll get it sorted.

It's really not bad at all, but any annoying setback none-the-less.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #35
markmdz

next stop: crazy town

On to the running gear:
I'm on my third set of wheels now and think I've found something I like well enough to run for now. I scooped up a set of 18's a few weeks back and just last night picked up a set of used 255/55/18 Bridgestone's to mount up and run while I'm deciding if I like the wheels enough to buy all new tires for em. Here's a pick of the wheel just mocked up, not mounted and no tire mounted yet. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #36
markmdz

button it up...

I also grabbed a new Extang Tonneau to button things up and clean up the look. It took a couple weeks for the shiny stuff to dull out, but I think it looks great now.

...also a couple shots of the engine bay where I swapped out the ugly air cleaner for a cheapo, but decent looking Edelbrock. If I can find an old 50's caddy air cleaner, that'll definitely find its way on. I have a new black heater hose to replace that awful red one as well. Soon enough. Again, baby steps, but progress...
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #37
markmdz

Can a mod moved this thread to the project/build section?
Old 06-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #38
markmdz

Mounted and balanced the wheels and threw em on for good measure. I think this project will be a tad short lived as it looks like I'll be trading it for a chopped 28 model A, but only time will tell.

They're not period correct and I wanted 20", but I got a great deal on these 18's and an even better deal on the tires, so I took the chance.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #39
markmdz

Mas...

Next up is a 2/4 drop.
Attached Images