The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2015, 12:56 AM   #1
greywuuf

PTO manufacturer ?

hey guys I seems to have a PTO unit I can not identify, pictures will be up in a little while, the Tag on it says TMC transmission Division Wolverton England
and the model appears to be 5992. Also this unit when mounted to my transmission does not engage any of the transmission gears and the drive shaft exits forward directly into the bell housing. it LOOKS like all of the parts can be assembled the opposite direction and everything will be hunky dory... I am however having issue getting it apart so I was searching for info, but can find Nothing on the company at all. any idea's ?
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:05 AM   #2
greywuuf

Re: PTO manufacturer ?

here are the pictures
[IMG]PTO by Greywuuf, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Data Tag by Greywuuf, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
1976gmc20

Never seen one quite like that ...

It doesn't engage the transmission even when you slide the gear on the splines ???

It does look like it would need a jackshaft to reach the transmission gear.

Maybe it's mounted on the transmission upside down...? What power equipment is/was on the truck ?
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
franken

https://www.google.com/search?q=TMC+...and&gws_rd=ssl
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
greywuuf

Thanks Franken, I kept hammering on Google searches after I posted and stumbled on that same steel soldiers post you mention. Unfortunately I can still not come up a definative answer as to what brand my PTO is.... TMC. Seems to have connections to fuller Clark Spicer and others. None of those search terms turn up anything on a 5992. PTO unit , let alone a exploded view.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
greywuuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Never seen one quite like that ...

It doesn't engage the transmission even when you slide the gear on the splines ???

It does look like it would need a jackshaft to reach the transmission gear.

Maybe it's mounted on the transmission upside down...? What power equipment is/was on the truck ?
The sliding gear is on the output shaft, the input shaft ( cant see it in this picture...it is a third shaft in the "extension" portion) has two gears a angled cut gear and a straight cut...the counter shaft in my tranny is straight cut...and the shaft ( in the pto) needs to be "flopped" to line up the straight cut with my transmission counter gear ) the bolt pattern on both ends of my PTO case are the same and it looks like I can reverse all the shafts and life would be good, I just do not want to start pressing things apart until I decide which way everything comes out.....
Old 06-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
franken

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Thanks Franken, I kept hammering on Google searches after I posted and stumbled on that same steel soldiers post you mention. Unfortunately I can still not come up a definative answer as to what brand my PTO is.... TMC. Seems to have connections to fuller Clark Spicer and others. None of those search terms turn up anything on a 5992. PTO unit , let alone a exploded view.
You have the manufacturer's tag and the city, which comes back as Turner Manufacturing so we probably know who made it. It seems they were bought by Cat some years back and as you say, looks like there's a connection to Spicer.
I just pasted the info you provided into a search and eventually corrected the city name.
I didn't find any info specific to the model number either, sorry.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
greywuuf

Unfortunately I think it is a rebuild tag ....I could be wrong....but the time frame for this PTO I think places it in the co ownership or division of years.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
junkmandan3

Domestic PTO vendors are Chelsea and Muncie. Is TMC the spin-off from Spicer ?
junkmandan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #10
greywuuf

There is also Spicer Dana and Parker....TMC was originally a partner with fuller (later Clark) and the Spicer and eventually Cat.....I have looked at all of the common sites for info and so far none look like the one I have.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #11
1976gmc20

Have you actually had the PTO off of the transmission ???

Are you sure no gears are engaging the transmission gear?

I'm wondering if it is mounted upside down on the transmission. That would explain the output shaft to nowhere.

All I really know about them is that I just found a decent looking PTO in the junkyard and bought it cheap and brought it home and it fit right onto my SM420 transmission. I have no idea now what brand it was since I sold the truck 20+ years ago. It seems to me like it was made to swap the gears around and shift the output rear to front (like for a winch or something) but I think it worked for me just the way it was.

I cut a slot in the floorboard and bolted a short piece of angle iron next to it. Then a hole in the vertical flange for a pivot bolt for a flat piece of steel about 1" x 18" for a lever, bolted directly to the shift rod in the PTO at the lower end. Worked great, unlike the log loader that it was powering.

It can't be that difficult if even I managed to figure it out
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Old 06-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #12
greywuuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Have you actually had the PTO off of the transmission ???

Are you sure no gears are engaging the transmission gear?

I'm wondering if it is mounted upside down on the transmission. That would explain the output shaft to nowhere.

All I really know about them is that I just found a decent looking PTO in the junkyard and bought it cheap and brought it home and it fit right onto my SM420 transmission. I have no idea now what brand it was since I sold the truck 20+ years ago. It seems to me like it was made to swap the gears around and shift the output rear to front (like for a winch or something) but I think it worked for me just the way it was.

I cut a slot in the floorboard and bolted a short piece of angle iron next to it. Then a hole in the vertical flange for a pivot bolt for a flat piece of steel about 1" x 18" for a lever, bolted directly to the shift rod in the PTO at the lower end. Worked great, unlike the log loader that it was powering.

It can't be that difficult if even I managed to figure it out

well this one was given to me as " removed from a big 5 speed truck transmission" so yes it has been off. if I mounted it "upside down" then the input gears and my transmission output gears would not line up....so I am pretty sure it has to go this way. as it is the input gear on the PTO look like they would mesh fine IF the shaft was swapped end for end. my transmission has a PTO output case on the other side as well but it is much bigger an 8 bolt instead of a 6 so no I cant put it over there either. not that big a deal I will pull it back off put it on the bench and tear it apart, just hoping for a little insight before I had to go figure it ll out on my own.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #13
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
well this one was given to me as " removed from a big 5 speed truck transmission" so yes it has been off. if I mounted it "upside down" then the input gears and my transmission output gears would not line up....so I am pretty sure it has to go this way. as it is the input gear on the PTO look like they would mesh fine IF the shaft was swapped end for end. my transmission has a PTO output case on the other side as well but it is much bigger an 8 bolt instead of a 6 so no I cant put it over there either. not that big a deal I will pull it back off put it on the bench and tear it apart, just hoping for a little insight before I had to go figure it ll out on my own.
Okay - I thought somehow that it came on your truck that way ...