The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
toolboxchev

Brake Parts

So I am finding more and more stuff is getting harder to come by. Cardone seems to be the only manufacture making the wheel cylinders and vacuum brake boosters from Carquest.

This would be for a stock setup. Who manufactures the parts today sometimes leads to more problems.

I have complete brake re-do from master cylinder to drums all the way through, lifetime warranty.

I am on my 3rd booster and 2nd set of wheel cylinders. Quality is just not there and this have been over the course of 7 years. The factory stuff lasted much longer. Boosters are always a rebuild item. Wheel cylinders are new manufacture.

Anyone got a line on replacement parts that are a better quality? Granted Carquest is great with backing me up when in need of parts but I grow tired of doing the R&R.

Last edited by toolboxchev; 08-28-2015 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
motorcritter

Re: Brake Parts

I feel your pain, my friend! I worked in all aspects of the auto service biz for over 40 years. I watched the quality of replacement parts deteriorate over that time. I watched the parts suppliers move from the countries where the auto makers were (US, Japan, Germany, etc.), to places with cheaper production costs (and standards). The quality would return, slowly. Now, with basically third-world plants making many parts, and remanufacturers using those cores for their production- that he situation today. It's hit or miss- I've had cheap-arse parts that have outperformed the originals, and supposedly reputable bits that I have to replace under warranty, with the same dodgy stuff. I've seen where 'name brand' stuff is made by a third-tier supplier, and OES items that aren't the exact same as the original piece I took off the car. Price usually assures quality, but not always. Sorry I don't have any magic answers, we're all in the same boat, no matter what sort of machine we work on. I deal with this problem in my Chevy/GMC truck work, my Benz work and my English motorcycle work- and my run-of-the-mill domestic and Asian work.
Posted via Mobile Device
motorcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
toolboxchev

I can see you are exactly spot on, I worked for a tier one supplier to freight-liner in 2008 before the crash.

They shipped half of the plant to Mexico. I had seen a ton of product from the phases of manufacturing. Some of what they did was not so kosher.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
mike16

been a problem for longer than since 08. I noticed it with brake parts since the early 90's I suppose if you can pass on junk brake parts and survive a few lawsuits then other stuff is childs play. too bad but I think your best bet is vendors in hemmings
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:34 AM   #5
vics stuff

I scan Flea Bay daily and there is the best place to find the NOS brake parts that you are looking for . Sometimes it may take a month before that special part needed shows up for auction.
That is where I do my parts shopping.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote