The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2004, 02:27 AM   #1
Love2buildem'

Question Looking to buy 73-79

Hey, this is my first time on this forum and I have some general questions because I am getting ready to buy a 73-79 pickup.

I know a couple things that I want like I want a short bed or a blazer/jimmy and I want 4 wheel drive. What I dont know is what to look for when I am buying this. I know a little about where to look for rust but not too much, and i would like to hear your suggestions for where to look for problem areas, and what to avoid.

I want this truck to tow with and to go play in the mud. I already have the engine ideas on what i want to do, but I know I am looking for something with a decent engine to get me around until i get around to building it.

The reason I want the 73-79 model is; I love that body style, and with the emission requirements in Virginia, anything past 79 has to meet all the emission requirements for that year, and i just really dont want to deal with that.

I was aslo wondering if you knew anything to look for as in leaks on the removable hard tops, because I really like those. Thanks for the info.

Jeff
Love2buildem' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
jcueckert13

heres a blazer for sale its not mine but looks decent

http://www.lonestarjeepclub.org/foru...ic.php?t=22992
1970 C10 longbed stepside (in pieces)
1976 Dodge Dart
1963 Dodge Dart

jcueckert13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
Gregsmx

Love2buildem', these trucks are pretty prevelant in the market place. If your just looking for average quality, they are out there everywhere. Rust/hit free trucks are much harder to find.

Ebay have a few now and then, as does Autotrader.com.

Here's a few of the known suspect areas when looking at these year models:

Rust:
This is probably their biggest downfall. The construction of the fenders and rockers did not allow for good drainage and mud/salt is often caught in the following areas:
- Across the Top of all four fenders.
-In the front and rear corner of all four fenders.
-Lower rocker panel under the doors.
-Pans in the drivers and passengers area could get some significant rust, but I havn't seen this too often.

Frame:
-Always check where the power steering unit bolts to the frame. This area is a known weekness and is either cracked or has been repaired and stiffened over the years. If you happen to find a truck that is not stiffened or cracked, then definately do it when you do your motor swap.
-I've seen a few trucks with frame cracks at the rear shock mounts.

Hood:
The hood hinges are sometimes really stiff, and can cause the hood to buckle around 1/3 the way from the firewall. Check for hoods that have been 'pushed' back into shape.

Tops:
The tops (partial or full) believe it or not do not leak hardly at all. Just look for fiberglass damage from being dropped over the years.

Drivetrain:
-If the front driveshaft is out, chances are the Dana44 is also needing some attention.
-XFER Cases: NP205 and NP207 were probablly your best units. The NP203 full time is not necessarily preferrable, and was chain driven vs. gear. Search the web and you'll quickly find ID marks for the NP205 when you look under the truck.

Gas Tank:
It's an old truck, water in the gas over the years can cause rust, and replacing the tank is no fun. Look for signs of epoxy patches on the gas tank.

That should help you a bit when your out there searching. There are terrific restoration parts houses and a surpluss of used parts in the market that can replace any of what I mentioned above, so take all of what I've said with interest, but rarely should any of this be a deal breaker. Just may help establish the value.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck!
Greg.

Here's the website I'm uploading pics to: Greg's frame off project
Gregsmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
jcueckert13

also if you plan on towing anything like a travel trailer dont get a blazer. blazers are fine for towing small boats but they get hard to handle with larger trailers. also look out for the steering box as they tend to have excessive play
1970 C10 longbed stepside (in pieces)
1976 Dodge Dart
1963 Dodge Dart

jcueckert13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:22 PM   #5
Gregsmx

Here are the two best deals I found in the Autotrader:

The first one is extreme really well equipped at $11K
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/65604156.htm

The second is very reasonably priced for what it is advertised to be at $2,800:
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/64629816.htm

Here's the website I'm uploading pics to: Greg's frame off project
Gregsmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
ccooperm

How about a 77 Custom Lifted Blazer ?
1977 K5 Blazer / 350 / 350 / NP205 / 9" lift / 38.5" Super Swampers / Corporate Axles / 4.56 geared / 100% frame off restoration 4k miles ago. Can be had for $5500..more pics available.
Attached Images

ccooperm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:03 PM   #7
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

Unhappy I'm selling mine STILL!

4000 o.b.o.
http://photos.yahoo.com/rdrdave2003
Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote