The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
greedy geezer

Location: Stoughton MA where everyhing on the road gets rusted out from winter and rock salt
Replace or Fix Damaged Radiator

I will Buy a replacement because I need the Truck ,But was wondering is there any value in the old one should I keep it ? maybe get it fixed some Time anybody fix them any more Check out the damage what do you think
gg
Attached Images

greedy geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Franks 72

Re: Replace or Fix Damaged Radiator

I recently had the same decision to make.The local rad shop was going to recore the original (71) rad . There are rad shops still doing this work and cores are available, however the tanks on the end do tend to get porous.This makes repair tedious ,just as one area is sealed , another pops up. I ended up buying a new aluminum core rad.
I know its not original, but driving season is coming up and I would rather be driving than working on changing a rad or a cooked engine ! Just my 2 cents .
Franks 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I wouldn't even mess with that one.... Scrap it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
greedy geezer

Location: Stoughton MA where everyhing on the road gets rusted out from winter and rock salt

Thanks guys I'm gonna hang it in my shed for now , it was holding water and I ran it all fall and winter I did not know about it because of the shroud I never saw it , But was working on getting at oil leak on Timing cover and had an oh ****e , I also need the Truck to run as a driver and for a business I do, so Getting a replacement is on for today
thanks
gg
greedy geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
dirish

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedy geezer View Post
Thanks guys I'm gonna hang it in my shed for now , it was holding water and I ran it all fall and winter I did not know about it because of the shroud I never saw it , But was working on getting at oil leak on Timing cover and had an oh ****e , I also need the Truck to run as a driver and for a business I do, so Getting a replacement is on for today
thanks
gg
I bought a RnD fabrication radiator. I couldn't be more than happy.
It takes about 5 weeks, but we'll worth it.
dirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
68panelman

Looks like your fan got the best of that one. Check the radiator mounts before installing a new one. My radiator guy is too expensive now, he used to recore, pressure check, put that tacky a$$ paint on for 30-40 bucks. The last copper radiator i bought was $150 Modine in the late 90's,Them days are gone
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Never scrap good Harrison tanks, especially 4-core. New cores can always be done. Don't listen to the "costs more to fix than replace" BS. Not saying don't buy a new radiator, that's your decicion. I'm saying don't scrap the old one. It's worth something to someone if the tanks aren't shop...and most aren't.

My original was not flowing well and my old school radiator guy doubted the core would survive a rodding. A new core would cost about the same as whole new radiator. From what I've seen, replacement quality is not so great. But rather than re-core the original, I had another one I had him go through. Been running it for years since.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote