The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
1moretoy

9" F*** leaking I need help

Ok guys I have a brand new currie 9" rear and it's leaking from the end of the housing somewhere. At first it was just one side and now I noticed the other is leaking as well. It has the big bearing new style ends and I'm using set 20 bearings. Underneath the two lower retaining bolts there is oil present and it's dripping down the backing plate causing a mess. I haven't driven the truck yet. Is there some sort of gasket or something that I'm missing? Pictures are below of what I have. FWIW I'm have a big brake kit from Tobin at Kore3. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Attached Images

1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:31 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: 9" F*** leaking I need help

I have a Strange 9" in my truck. It has the same Set 20 type seal. It leaks as well. The first time was see because somebody has hacked up the gasket seal ando the axle had to be replaced. Did that and it still leaks, albeit slowly.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
kwmech

Pull the shafts back out, clean up the sealing surface and the outer part of the seal. Then put a small bead of silicone (I prefer ultra-grey myself) around the outer part of the seal and reinstall. Quite common problem when the inner seal is omitted.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
snipescastle2

Talking Re: 9" F*** leaking I need help

Sounds like the o rings aren't compressing enough. I agree that a small head of RTV would likely cure that issue, if you can find the "red" high temp RTV, I'd use that.
that stuff is pretty tough and we use it at the power plant where I work.seals up leaks very well
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
Aruba1

If sealant is to fix the issue I would only consider The Right Stuff that should have been called the Amazing Stuff.

I swear by this product. I have a JD 310B back hoe that the oil pan developed a leak in the oil pan gasket and was leaking profusely. I used the The Right Stuff to seal it from the outside and it stopped the leak. Ten years later it's still has no leaks. You can get it at most auto part stores.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #6
1moretoy

Upon further inspection the axle does move in and out slightly. I'd say 1/16 or so. Should the Axle move in and out at all? A friend of mine said it should not move at all.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote