The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
curvedglass

Re: 3 speed overdrive!!, now about getting it in.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoonen View Post
I will soon have a Muncie 319 with R10 overdrive unit and plan to put it behind a fresh-built 292 in my '63 C10. I have gone over the wiring and hoped to setup the kickdown switch as originally intended but the 292 will be using an HEI distributor. Is there a way to setup the ignition interrupt - which is necessary to drop out of overdrive - with HEI? I think there isn't a way to do this without compromising (that is, ruining) the HEI distributor electronics.

Thoughts? Plan B is to put a switch of some sort in the governors ground circuit. That will work, but not be as clean.

In related news, I found a scan of a Studebaker Service Manual for the 3-speed overdrive transmission. Just another useful resource to understand and service this wonderful transmission.

Thanks...ned.

Oh snap! there is a different wiring setup for HEI? - someone please elaborate. I bought a SM319 a few months back along with harness and an extra nos gov. was looking to put this in for my winter project. I was planning on using the extra dimmer switch config. From what I read here that won't work with HEI.