The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: HG's Bigass Farm Truck

I just found this thread Mike. Subscribed and watching. You have been a very busy guy...lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice! That has to feel a little better getting so close to starting it.
Thanks, it's getting there. I can't wait to here it run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
one can never have too many trucks
Weeeelllllllll, maybe you can.

I sold one.

Besides the trucks I have a 47 Olds, 83 Datsun 280zx, 2000 Jeep cherokee, my company car, my wifes 90 mustang convertible and 2010 cadillac and a couple old Kawasaki motorcycles. And of course the future delivery of the cobra kit car. I'm very proud to say just over half of them are driveable!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I just found this thread Mike. Subscribed and watching. You have been a very busy guy...lol
I have. I'm never bored. You know those guys that keep working forever because they don't have other things to do? I'm not one of them.

Yesterday I went back out to the junkyard to see how the AC condenser is normally mounted. The radiator support on the newer trucks with this style condenser are completely different, so I'm going to have to make it work my own way. I did get the factory mounts off one of those trucks and snagged a cold air (sort of) air intake part too, and another one of the AC hoses I'll need.

I'm still having problems with photobucket. I'll finish this later.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This is how the AC condenser is mounted in the later style squares...

In front of the radiator but on the back side of the support, with some nifty little mount brackets.

I cut a hole for the tube ends to go through and notched a section of the support to allow the condenser to sit tight to the support.

You can see one of the mounts sitting there. I'm going to make some kind of bracket piece for the lower mounts, then I just need to drill a hole for the bolts that hold the upper mounts in place.

Shop cat...

That's Wallace. Wallace is a girl. We know that because she had a litter of kittens just before we bought this place (she came with the house). I don't think the person that named her knew it was a girl cat. We don't really care and I doubt Wallace has a problem with it either.

The later squares had this air intake mounted to the radiator support.

There was actually a knock out plate in that spot on my 79, so I knocked it out. I just needed to round the hole out a bit with a die grinder on one side to make it fit (was oval) and cut a slot below it for the lower mound tab.

As for the AC hoses, the lower one from the condenser to the evaporator I got at the junkyard seems to fit ok. I have a couple options for the other set. One is to have a shop make a hose for me that fits my set up. Two is to get lucky at the junkyard and find the right combination of hose style/length/tube ends that works. Three is doing a little plumbing work using the metal tube end pieces and get the right fitting on the hose that should fit. I'll try option 3 and if that doesn't work go back to option 2 or 3.

It's supposed to warm up the next few days. Less propane will get burned to keep me comfortable. World of Wheels car show in Minneapolis tomorrow. Hopefully I'll find some cool inspiring cars and ideas there.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote