The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2017, 12:13 AM   #1
et cetera

Crossmember swap help

So, I've been trying to swap a 63 crossmember on to my 62 and I hit a bit of a problem and need some help.

I have been reading dozens of threads on the topic, including the most commonly referenced one, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366850, and I still cant figure out if I'm lining things up correctly.

I wasnt able to take any wheel base measurements from the old crossmember, but I was hoping I could get 1-2 of the original holes to line up so to hold it in place. From there I was just going to drill out the holes where they sat.

Right now I have the center bolt in the inside of the frame aligned, it also looks like the forward most hole would also align there. You can see it in the first picture.

on the outside of the frame I was expecting another hole to be lined up from what I had read, but this doesnt appear to be the case. It actually looks like I could move the crossmember back a bit and the two top holes would line up.

This is the same on both sides, so everything seems to be straight.

My question is, which hole should I have lined up before I start my drilling?

Thanks for the help.

et cetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:24 AM   #2
andyh1956

Re: Crossmember swap help

Do you have a std trans w/ the stock rear cross member / engine mount in your truck?
If you do I could measure from the front cross member to the rear one on my parts '66 for you.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 PM   #3
et cetera

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
Do you have a std trans w/ the stock rear cross member / engine mount in your truck?
If you do I could measure from the front cross member to the rear one on my parts '66 for you.
I haven't cut the trans cross member out yet so that might work.

There has to be someone out there that has swapped these cross members before.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
et cetera

Welp. It's a SWB, I think that means I should have a 115" WB. I'll measure that out and see where it gets me.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
72cs20

I put an 72 cross member in my 62. The upper two holes on each side of the cross member L-bracket are the ones I used to properly locate the cross member to the 62 frame. You show these holes in your second photo. I then had to drill new holes, or slot existing ones, for the rest of the bolts. A 63 cross member should attach the same way.

Also keep in mind that the large bolt holes coming up through the bottom of the frame are spaced evenly front to back 63 and later vs the 62, shown in this thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=703583, post number 9. On the 62 the rear hole is closer to the center hole.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
et cetera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cs20 View Post
I put an 72 cross member in my 62. The upper two holes on each side of the cross member L-bracket are the ones I used to properly locate the cross member to the 62 frame. You show these holes in your second photo. I then had to drill new holes, or slot existing ones, for the rest of the bolts. A 63 cross member should attach the same way.

Also keep in mind that the large bolt holes coming up through the bottom of the frame are spaced evenly front to back 63 and later vs the 62, shown in this thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=703583, post number 9. On the 62 the rear hole is closer to the center hole.
Thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for. Nice build BTW, I'll have to keep an eye out at any of the local meets/shows.