The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Firefighterkk

1968 short stepside ls3/tr6060 build

Hi all, back to build v 2.0. I built a 1969 sss two years ago and then ended up selling it to help fund my shop building. At the time I didn't feel like I would miss it, well it took right at a year and I caught the fever bad. Took about a month to locate what I felt like was the right truck. Ended up picking up a truck out of the DFW area that had resided there it's whole life.

The last truck I clearcoated the patina, was wanting to do the same with this truck. I get that not everybody likes that look, but I figure it's a cheap finish for now....can always paint it in the future. Also you know what you are getting vs buying a shiny truck that has an unknown quality of repairs and amount of bondo. I used a 5.3/4l60 on the last truck, which performed great but I wanted something a little more. Rode in a buddies truck, 2000's 2wd gmc, that was a supercharged 5.3 with a t56. Was planning on doing the 6 speed for sure and figured turbo or sc. I already had a 6.0 in the shop on the stand and have a 5.3 set back as well. Went on the search for a t56, ended up buying a guys project that was a 68 swb c10 that had been disassembled. It came with an 8.1l Chevy and a t56. Along with bell tech drop spindles and springs on the factory short bed frame, along with a couple of cabs, factory sleet side short bed, and other odds and ends. Figured I would part out the rest to get my trans for free.

Have been buying a few jeeps off copart and ran across a couple of camaros, so that got the gears turning. I finally ran across a car I could afford. Like the idea of a motor and transmission that are paired from the factory, as the t56 was from a 95 Camaro, it was going to take some work to get it behind the LS. Also the ls3 is potent on its own. Plan on getting the truck going then adding boost in the future.

Been picking up a few parts here and there, the car is supposed to be delivered this week so will start tearing into it to strip drivetrain. Picked up a set of buddy buckets as well. Really looking forward to the build.

Here is the result of my first attempt at building a c10, it now resides around the Texas/Oklahoma border. He didn't want to sell it back, and I don't blame him!

Here is the link to the build on it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655382

Trailer load of what I drug home from Northwest Arkansas when I went after the 68 basket case parts along with the t56.

Trip home from Texas with the 68.

The 68 as it sits currently.

Buddy buckets.

Heart donor.

Firefighterkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
Firefighterkk

Re: 1968 short stepside build

Organ donor has arrived!

Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
Firefighterkk

Re: 1968 short stepside ls3/tr6060 build

Motor and trans were evicted, never had the opportunity before to drop motor out the bottom. Way easier that pulling a motor the old fashioned way!

Old 05-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #4
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Re: 1968 short stepside ls3/tr6060 build

Nice pile of parts!

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote