The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
64jmb

1966 C10 height ground to bottom of wheel lip moulding question

Had a question all.

I have a 1966 C10 Short bed V8 truck.

What is the stock height from the ground to bottom on the front end of the wheel lip moulding on a 1966 C10 with a V8 form the factory?

Mine height now is 26 7/8" in the front and really like that height it is perfect and riding on a 15 x 6 stock Chevrolet Wheel 235-75 R15 tire.
My springs need to be changed. I am putting 2.5 drop spindles on it...and do I need a 1 or 2 drop spring? My coils were cut 1.5 coils off, which I think is 3 1/4 "Inches? need some help on this.
My camber is off 1.5 degrees on one side a 2 degrees on the other....so I want to get the same stance. But too much was cut off the springs to set the camber now correctly.
I have purchased 2.5 drop spindles now, and 1" drop springs. I think I may need a 2" drop springs to achieve the same look?? I just have to make sure I can set the camber and tow correctly now.. would this be right...Thoughts....
64jmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
chevylookin

Re: 1966 C10 height ground to bottom of wheel lip moulding question

Im at 29.25" with stock steels with 225/75 and 3" drop coils. I still need to install my 2.5 drop spindles and I would be perfect I believe.
Attached Images

chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
64jmb

Wow! So you already have 3" drop coils? Still need to do the 2.5 inch drop spindles too? What was the height before you did the 3 inch drop coils? Looks like I may need to do the 2 in drop coils then too.... you are already at a 3 inch drop then correct? do you have a side view I can see?
Old 05-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
64jmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevylookin View Post
Im at 29.25" with stock steels with 225/75 and 3" drop coils. I still need to install my 2.5 drop spindles and I would be perfect I believe.
I really want to see a side picture of your truck to see how it stands now... were you able to front end align your truck correctly set the camber and tow correctly with a 3" inch drop in the coils? Do you know how many inches 1.5 coils cut off my springs would be? I know they are 51 years old springs as well.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
64jmb

Quote:
Also are the 3" drop front coil springs you have on now are the Classic Performance Products springs?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
chevylookin

I would say that if I had these tires on when the truck was new, that I would be around 32.5" inches of factory height. The tire is 28.25" tall and factor in maybe a half inch of spring sag. I have no idea what the factory size tire would have been back then. Ill get you a side profile pic of the truck soon. Im happy with the rear height but not excited yet about the front. It needs drop spindles. I am concerned too whether I will need 2" or 3" coils. With the 3" coils and lowered shocks on the front only makes for a tiny bit of a rougher ride. I started with 2" coils and the ride was nicer. Its a big noticeable difference to me between one inch but it doesnt bother me that much. I think I will get the shorter stabilizer bar mounts next and see how that feels.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
chevylookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64jmb View Post
Also are the 3" drop front coil springs you have on now are the Classic Performance Products springs?
Im not sure. I bought them from the truck shop and didnt even look at the manufacturer. Just slapped them on and hoped for the best.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #8
64jmb

My front springs were cut 1.5 coils off. 4"inches??? Not totally sure how much that is in inches.... It looks great, but it is so much that I cannot get the camber set correctly now. And this was after I installed stock height spindles and left the springs as there were cut on, and did not do my homework enough so when it was done and went to align it... that is when I found out. So the tires have a slight angle on them in the front, so they will unevenly wear the tires on the inside. So I purchased CPP 2.5 inch drop spindles and 1" drop springs (not installed yet) but I do not think it will be low enough with the 1"... I am thinking 2" drop springs now because you are 3" and it does not look low enough in the picture you sent me now for me that way. Here is a picture of my truck. That would be a 4.5 inch drop total but I want it exactly the same. But, I need to be able to set the tow and camber correctly so they are straight. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Last edited by 64jmb; 05-10-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
chevylookin

This is the stance with 3" drop coils all the way around with correct lowered shocks and nothing else done to the suspension with 225/75 stock steelies r15's. Tires measure a lil over 28" tall.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #10
64jmb

Your truck looks really good I can definitely tell the front even with a 3 inch drop you in the spring you still have room between the fender well in the tire so my truck must be more than a 5 1/2 inch drop in the front is my guess because my my front coils are cut so far I'm at 26 7/8 in the front with Stock 15 inch wheels with a 235-75 tire. The back of my truck must be at least 4 to 5 inches because I can see that my top of my wheel molding is on to the top of my rim in the back and yours is a little bit higher I can still see some of the tire above the rim in the well. What brand are your springs? Is the camber and tow set correctly on your front end as well? Really need to know that for sure! Please let me know. Thanks for all the help really appreciate it!
Old 05-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #11
chevylookin

I would say I have about an 1 1/2" -2" eyeball guestimate from the top of my tire and the lip of the fender. I would say you would probably want to go 2" coils and 2.5 spindles to get you right where you wanna be. Let me know how it goes if you get to it first because Im gonna get my drop spindles someday and we have basically the same truck, suspension and tires.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #12
64jmb

Did u do a front end alignment to set the camber and tow and is it correct?? Or is it off? Really need to know that before I get the 2 inch drop springs I may want to do the 3 inch like you did. I just need to know if you had aligned the front end and were able to set the camber and tow with the 3" drop springs. My camber is off by 2 degrees on one side and 1.5 on the other because how much they cut off.... also you have the stock idler arms nothing custom on the front end at all..... every original except 3" springs, correct?

Last edited by 64jmb; 05-11-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
64jmb

Quote:
I would say I have about an 1 1/2" -2" eyeball guestimate from the top of my tire and the lip of the fender. I would say you would probably want to go 2" coils and 2.5 spindles to get you right where you wanna be. Let me know how it goes if you get to it first because Im gonna get my drop spindles someday and we have basically the same truck, suspension and tires.
Let me know soon as you can in you got the front end alignment that is going to tell me if I need to use a different spring.... I am thinking actually the 3 inch one you used but I need to know the camber is going to work and be able to be aligned set correctly. thanks!
Old 05-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #14
chevylookin

Honestly, I havent checked. I recently put the 3" from the 2" coils on and I havent driven the truck for the last several years as it was laid up during a new paint job. When I drove it with the 2" coils, I probably put 2-3000 miles on a new set of American racing rims and tires and the truck rode great. I since sold the rims and tires and there was no noticeable uneven wear. The stock steelies and tires probably have a couple hundred miles on them and I am going to keep and eye on them but the ride feels fine to me.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
64jmb

ok thanks for info. I am thinking I am going to the 3" springs as well. Mine must be cut at least 4 inches or more... they are cut so far that the top of the tire leans in a bit... not much though... just wish I knew if the 3" can be set with the camber correctly. Maybe I can post this to the site for feedback... thoughts? Were you planning on getting a alignment soon to make sure that is correct before you put the 2.5 drop spindles on?