The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
daddyjeep

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
First of all, all excellent questions, I am no POR15 expert but I have used it a few times now.

I am not sure POR 15 was designed to be out in the sun, they make different products some are meant to be painter over, some are to be hidden under the vehicle like their chssis black, or hidden in the engine bay under the hood, is my understanding.

I have not seen mine turn purple, but I had it go blotchy, meaning I bought the glossy type and painted my '68 Mustang engine bay with it (two coates as per instructions) and when it all was said and done and dry, some spots were shinny and some were flat and dull. So I called the company up and they said sometimes it just does that? Say What?!

Best advice I can give you, is use it's two sister products, one is called Cleaner Degreaser (what I substitute Denatured Alcohol for) the other is Metal Prep (essentially really weak Phosphoric Acid (read the ingredients)). But if you use their stuff and follow their directions you have the best chance of getting proper results. This is not a cop out, I just suggest you try their stuff the first time around, and go from there.

I have said this in the forum though I don't expect anybody to find it it's gotten so big, LOL, I buy mine at Home Depot, it's like $5 bucks for a gallon. Lessons Learned: Anything Home Depot sells is not true Automobile Quality, but it's good enuff. I use it straight up on really rusty bits and delute it with water on other bits, you will figure that out, it may eat some metal, it likes to ruin hood springs, lol.
The POR15 metal prep has phosphoric acid as well as zink Phosphate. The zink Phosphate is what is used for galvanizing, so that I what I used.
Now back to the Christmas in December.... I see truck parts a strange box and more truck parts.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Now back to the Christmas in December.... I see truck parts a strange box and more truck parts.
LOL, that's what The Greg said, I recon the strange box may be my X-mas present from the wife, Kansas City Chiefs T shirt maybe, fingers crossed (yes I am a recovering 49ers fan who followed my boy Alex Smith to K.C. like Montana before him... my '9er friends call the Chiefs, 49ers [Mid] West, ha ha)

... and for the record I asked for that T shirt when the boys in red were [ahem] still winning!!!
Gregski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
Rich84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
LOL, that's what The Greg said, I recon the strange box may be my X-mas present from the wife, Kansas City Chiefs T shirt maybe, fingers crossed (yes I am a recovering 49ers fan who followed my boy Alex Smith to K.C. like Montana before him... my '9er friends call the Chiefs, 49ers [Mid] West, ha ha)

... and for the record I asked for that T shirt when the boys in red were [ahem] still winning!!!
No sympathy from a Giant fan here...LOL
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote