The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
nsb29

Help with code P2099

Knowing the talent out here I have a question I have a 2013 Chevy V6 with 60,000 miles on it showing code P2099 bank 2 and the fuel mileage drop considerably Any input would be helpful I know it’s a difficult one to trace down
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Help with code P2099

Bad 02, o2 is shorted, exhaust leak upstream of 02. Those would be the first to look at.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
7 Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Knowing the talent out here I have a question I have a 2013 Chevy V6 with 60,000 miles on it showing code P2099 bank 2 and the fuel mileage drop considerably Any input would be helpful I know it’s a difficult one to trace down
BR3W CITY is exactly right. In reference to the exhaust leak I would add that I would begin my search for the leak at the exhaust manifold/Y pipe connection.
If you have access to a code reader that is capable of live data you can read the waveforms and see if the O2 sensor is indeed bad or just reading out of range due to a leak.

Here's something I've done in the past. It requires 2 people and EXTREME caution. with one person that know what they are looking for in the waveforms on the OBDII scanner and another under the truck at the manifold/Y Pipe connection. with the engine at operating temp, take some carb clean and ever so slightly spay a TINY amount of the carb clean at the junction. Fire extinguisher should right next to you for this, if the waveform immediately jumps you've found your exhaust leak because the unburned carbons will have been introduced to the exhaust stream and will produce a reading far out of range.

DISCLAIMER: If you are not comfortable with doing this or do not have help and a fire extinguisher on hand and ready DO NOT DO IT!!!

For those of you who think I might be nuts, I might be but have had tremendous success using this method in a pinch. There are certainly better ways to do it with a well equipped shop.

Dan
55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
nsb29

I only have an inexpensive scanner like you would buy at discounter AutoZone it has freeze data but not live my son has one that he can bring home from work I forget the terminology but it let me believe that it was before the second O2 sensor will have to wait until it throws it again but that would put it before the Y pipe but being rich clearly makes sense That it either a sensor or an exhaust leak may not get a chance to look at it until next weekend thanks for the info
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
7 Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I only have an inexpensive scanner like you would buy at discounter AutoZone it has freeze data but not live my son has one that he can bring home from work I forget the terminology but it let me believe that it was before the second O2 sensor will have to wait until it throws it again but that would put it before the Y pipe but being rich clearly makes sense That it either a sensor or an exhaust leak may not get a chance to look at it until next weekend thanks for the info
I apologize, I didn't explain that well. You are correct, B1S1/B2S1 is PRE catalytic converter, and B1S2/B2S2 is POST catalytic converter. I should re-read my post's....

Dan
55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote