The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
bigmoe

Want rid of that ugly heater in the engine compartment?

http://www.billstruckshop.com/60-66used.html

Found this basic heater for sale from a super low mileage truck. I wonder if he has the delete plates. Sadly I just bought one last month in worse shape for more money.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:05 AM   #2
Railroader

Re: Want rid of that ugly heater in the engine compartment?

I have the heater assembly I removed from my 63 when the Vintage unit was installed. It's an under dash unit.

Name:  Heater2.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  63 Heater Unit.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  46.4 KB
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
bigmoe

They’re not the greatest heater because they only draw air from within the cab (recirculate) but I only drive my truck in summer and rarely use a heater. I can’t go totally without because I have to have one to pass our safety inspection. Their pretty rare in northern areas because everyone wanted the better deluxe heater. Also if you use one of these you need a shutoff valve on the heater hose. I would think people would snap these up to get rid of the ugly deluxe heater.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
AcampoDave

I've had both styles over the years. From a performance perspective, the "ugly" fresh air version kicks butt on the recirculating type. I do drive in winter (California) and with the fresh air heater i can just cruise along without even running the blower. Incoming air off the cowel is more than enough to keep the windows clear. I also put a shut off on the hose so that in the summer I can use it as a vent. Just my thoughts as to why people might not be too anxious to be rid of them
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I see so many of your guys Pull the heater boxes out. Never throw them away one day in the fort time you will AN I mean YOU WILL sell your truck. If you look at trends Most people put the craziest factory parts back on their trucks. When I go out looking for friends that want to buy one of these trucks I look for factory brackets The heater box anything that been modified. Most of you kids have a Way about chucking anything that looks Tacky. But later on, you kick your self for tossing it in the trash then you pay top dollar for a used one. Heater Cores Save engines on hot days on cold days they keep you warm and keep from you smashing in the back of a Police Car. So before you decide to toss it best off holding on to all your Factory Parts.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
heavy71chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
I see so many of your guys Pull the heater boxes out. Never throw them away one day in the fort time you will AN I mean YOU WILL sell your truck. If you look at trends Most people put the craziest factory parts back on their trucks. When I go out looking for friends that want to buy one of these trucks I look for factory brackets The heater box anything that been modified. Most of you kids have a Way about chucking anything that looks Tacky. But later on, you kick your self for tossing it in the trash then you pay top dollar for a used one. Heater Cores Save engines on hot days on cold days they keep you warm and keep from you smashing in the back of a Police Car. So before you decide to toss it best off holding on to all your Factory Parts.
X2 That's also limiting when you can drive
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 AM   #7
Railroader

We own, drive and change what we want or like. That's a good thing. Input from others that have similar interest and more importantly knowledge is also not only good but extremely valuable. I kept everything (that could be used) removed during restoration/update, not to one day put back on truck but that somebody might want or need for their truck. To me that's another good thing. As I have owned this truck for 38 years and counting, my wife or kids more probably will be the ones to sell it one day.

Bottom line; investigate, get input and do what you want with your truck. It's YOUR truck.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
61K10

I have the inside regular heater. I added a blower motor from a 97 Camaro with ac. Had to make a spacer to raise the motor up some. Also added a shut off valve. My heater on high will blow you out of the cab.

my build is------------61K10 build

Last edited by 61K10; 04-17-2019 at 01:40 PM.
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
Robert Haas

What is this thing you call a heater?

Out here in sunny California the most important thing is our defrosters.

It was like 55 degrees the other morning. My coffee fogged up my windshield something awful. Nearly ran over the beach volley ball team.
Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Railroader

The Heater generates air to the windshield. Turn it to HOT, set your coffee on the blower vent. Coffee stays warm and windshield stays clear at the same time. It's win / win.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #11
61K10

Sunny ca my a$$. Not at my place lol. First week in Feb.
Attached Images

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote