The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2019, 01:18 AM   #1
MASTERBrian

Ram horn manifold questions? And exhaust question

On my sbc 350, approximately 330-350hp, in my 1960 suburban, I currently have a single 2" ram horn on my right side. Left side is truck manifold. The ram horn currently installed is from a mid 70s vette 350 and LH and RH compatible per online search of numbers.

Today I picked up a set of 2" ram horns. The numbers cross to a late 50s, early 60s vette/ passenger car with a 283 or 327sbc One is listed as RH, it has the choke tube, the other is listed as LH and has the alt bracket on front.

My first question is, does it really matter which side these mount on? I know the choke is on passenger side, so that explains why that list it as RH and I same with the other one with the alt bracket. I don't plan on ever using the choke tube, so likely will braze the top hole closed to clean up the look. If possible I'd like to mount this once on the LH side, and leave the current RH mounted one alone. This would save me from citing and grinding the bracket off the other one.

This leads to the 2nd question of, since all 3 are 2", but different decades, are they all interchangeable? Is it ok to leave the 70s one on and use a 50s one on other side? They all look very much alike. Again, it'll save me from cutting and grinding, but if I should keep the matched set I will. Obviously, the older ones aren't listed for the 350sbc, since the 350 wasn't out yet.

Any differences I am not aware of? I'll post pics of the numbers of all three.

The 3rd question is regarding routing of the exhaust. I've heard not to do an exhaust dump in front of rear wheels on a suburban with the operational rear glass, but I've also heard people say it's ok. What gives here? I'm getting ready to install some smithy mufflers and I'd like to dump in front of wheels. I like the look and I want to hear them more. BUT....I don't want to poison anyone anyone in the back seats either. My burb is dropped 5" with static drop and thus going over the axle is tricky. It's doable, but tricky. I've already had to replace a smashed brake line from this. Most of my driving is around town.
Attached Images

MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Ram horn manifold questions? And exhaust question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post
My first question is,
... No

This leads to the 2nd question of,... Yes
Any differences I am not aware of? ... Not since your not using the brackets and choke.

The 3rd question is ... Never even heard of someone dying from exhaust routing out the side. [/QUOTE]
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
... No

This leads to the 2nd question of,... Yes
Any differences I am not aware of? ... Not since your not using the brackets and choke.

The 3rd question is ... Never even heard of someone dying from exhaust routing out the side.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

The fear I guess some have is that the fumes will roll back up and into the rear windows. I don't have the 3rd row of seats, but I dip often the 3rd row window. I have no clue, how much, if any measurable amount of fumes would come back in. Someone said kick the tips down a little, but I might use a bowtie tip and my exhaust guy said those need to be level to look good. He didn't think the exhaust would be an issue.

Now, my worry is..... if this is actually something to worry about with front of wheel side exit.... my grandfather basically died from carbon monoxide poisoning. He was a passenger in the back seat of a Lincoln he owned. Apparently he was on a1-2 hr trip to visit my uncle and he started not feeling well. It was later found that the car had a bad exhaust leak and my uncle who is mechanic is certain it was leaking back into the car. So you can see how that plays into my fears. My grandmother, other parent, also died from carbon monoxide poisoning from faulty house furnace.

Obviously, I understand the dangers, but I also don't want to live in fear.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

That did happen back in the day, not the same thing however. Your exhaust would be flowing outside. But I can see your concern. Why not run them to the rear? People with rear tanks do it. You can run them thru your trailing arm X-member with some thought out modification if clearance is an issue. And with the size of your exhaust 2" it wouldn't be too difficult.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote