The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #1
72c20customcamper

Re: Had to buy - '77 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
Lastly, an update on the '77 Suburban....no updates. It's sitting in the back of my barn and all I've done is move it around to get access to other things.
Here's the only recent pick I have of it. You can see it sitting behind the project I'll be working on this winter. The Suburban is just too long to work on in the small garage I've been working in. Need to get the new shop built.....
Latest update on the 77 I was going to do the same ,lower it and make it the way I wanted. But the truck is too damn nice to modify. I replaced the valve cover gaskets gas tank and tires. Put 4k miles on it since I bought it from you. 4 shows 4 1st place trophies.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Latest update on the 77 I was going to do the same ,lower it and make it the way I wanted. But the truck is too damn nice to modify. I replaced the valve cover gaskets gas tank and tires. Put 4k miles on it since I bought it from you. 4 shows 4 1st place trophies.
Glad to see you’re enjoying it and picking up some hardware with it dude! I sold it to make space in my barn but that didn’t last long as the next acquisition is on its way from WA this week so back to a full barn. Ugh
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #3
72c20customcamper

And so what did you by?
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
Willowrun

Quote:
And so what did you by?
I think I told you (and you probably noticed) I’ve ventured outside of just GM trucks over the last few years. With that said, I bought an ‘89 Dodge W150 short box. I already had the same model but an ‘87 also from WA but for some reason felt I needed another. They’re different.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
bL.A.zer90045

I've converted a 4wd k5 frame to 2wd,and initially was going to replace rear 4wd hangars with 2wd hangars.to get this stance you have nailed I would just retain the 4wd hangars and flip it? I have 1ton springs I was gonna use up front with 1 and a half took out of coils? Should I go another 1/2? Plan on light duty cruiser/grocery better for this build until I get all quirks worked out of 4.8/nv3500.then maybe install bags...
bL.A.zer90045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bL.A.zer90045 View Post
I've converted a 4wd k5 frame to 2wd,and initially was going to replace rear 4wd hangars with 2wd hangars.to get this stance you have nailed I would just retain the 4wd hangars and flip it? I have 1ton springs I was gonna use up front with 1 and a half took out of coils? Should I go another 1/2? Plan on light duty cruiser/grocery better for this build until I get all quirks worked out of 4.8/nv3500.then maybe install bags...
Correct, leave rear 4x4 hangars and flip the axle. Not sure if you noticed but I did add a 1/2” block in the rear to bring it down a touch more.
Regarding the front coils, I’d stick with 1 1/2 rounds and see how it looks before cutting any more.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
I think I told you (and you probably noticed) I’ve ventured outside of just GM trucks over the last few years. With that said, I bought an ‘89 Dodge W150 short box. I already had the same model but an ‘87 also from WA but for some reason felt I needed another. They’re different.
I like the old Dodge trucks too. My brother in law still talks about you Toyota. Hes looking for one
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #8
Willowrun

Quote:
I like the old Dodge trucks too. My brother in law still talks about you Toyota. Hes looking for one
Man...outing me about the Toyota on the Chevy site! LOL
Over the summer I got it cleaned up and put the SR5 graphics back on. I put it in the barn for the winter a few weeks ago.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2019, 11:04 PM   #9
Willowrun

Another with some GM content.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2023, 11:08 AM   #10
LT7A

I found this thread again looking for info on lowering a Suburban. Ended up with a two-fer, Burb and Blazer/Jimmy info. WR, you didn't ask for opinions so feel free to ignore this. You were enjoying the Jimmy but it seems like you quit driving it after the last round of lowering it. It looks cool but would not look any less cool if it was put back up to where you could drive it without it rubbing. In fact, look a little better in my opinion. I know you have plenty of stuff to keep you busy. I kinda got charmed by the little truck though, and that gets my interest/imagination going. I think it would look cool to raise the back 1 1/2 inches and bring the front up to where it doesn't bump and rub. Still would look really cool. In fact, while I know lots of people like the 'level' look, I think these trucks look even better when the top of the wheel opening sits at the same position in regard to the tire - front and back. It does create a minor rake but it really helps with making the proportions look good. Side benefit of possibly being more driveable. Just taking the time to jot down my thoughts...
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:15 PM   #11
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I found this thread again looking for info on lowering a Suburban. Ended up with a two-fer, Burb and Blazer/Jimmy info. WR, you didn't ask for opinions so feel free to ignore this. You were enjoying the Jimmy but it seems like you quit driving it after the last round of lowering it. It looks cool but would not look any less cool if it was put back up to where you could drive it without it rubbing. In fact, look a little better in my opinion. I know you have plenty of stuff to keep you busy. I kinda got charmed by the little truck though, and that gets my interest/imagination going. I think it would look cool to raise the back 1 1/2 inches and bring the front up to where it doesn't bump and rub. Still would look really cool. In fact, while I know lots of people like the 'level' look, I think these trucks look even better when the top of the wheel opening sits at the same position in regard to the tire - front and back. It does create a minor rake but it really helps with making the proportions look good. Side benefit of possibly being more driveable. Just taking the time to jot down my thoughts...
Wow man, you're pretty good! I'd be lying if I said that the Jimmy in it's current state isn't a chore to drive because of the front tires buzzing the inner fenders. It's a combination of the lowering springs I bought sagging, the shocks not having enough dampening, and lastly the tires are a little tall. I think it looks cool though. I purchased some 3/4 ton springs a few years back to cut and install as they will be firmer than the aftermarket lowering springs and will hopefully resist bottoming better when hitting dips in the road. I also intend on running it a little higher though as you suggest to further help the road manners. I plan on changing from the rally rims to some 15 x 7 steelies I purchased from a board member with some caps when I do the spring change.

In a perfect world I would have done all of this at least a couple years ago but unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of truck time lately since covid. I had an already very busy job and it's gotten about twice as busy since covid so my truck hobby as of late has been less wrenching and more sourcing trucks/parts for when my job slows down which should finally start happening in the coming months.

Appreciate you bringing this thread up as it makes me remember how much I like the Jimmy. Not a lot to do with it to tide me over for a few years (springs and interior) so perhaps it needs to come to my shop in the spring once the snow is done. That is as long as I can finish the Bronco in my shop this winter. LOL

I was moving things around in my barn in preparation for winter several weeks back and took this pic that shows what the Jimmy has been up to.
Attached Images