The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
8man

S10 gas tank, fuel pump question

I got the S10 frame stripped, except for the gas and brake lines. No tank, engine, etc. I'm going with a carbureted engine, and I need to run an electric fuel pump, because I don't have clearance for the mechanical pump.

Is there a low pressure fuel pump that goes in the tank? If not, where are people mounting the electric fuel pump?

Also, there 3 gas lines running from the tank area to the engine. My ignorance is showing, but from the tank to the engine I think one line is the main feed line, one a return, and I guess one is a vent. Do I need all three with the carburetor?

Maybe I missed a post on this, and I apologize if I did, but I'm confused on this.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
flyingdet444

Re: S10 gas tank, fuel pump question

On my 49 with an S10 frame I used a tank from an S10 blazer. I also had to use an electric pump. The pump I used is a universal 4-6 gpm pump. One fuel line to carb and then a vent. I used a vented cap and also ran a vent line through the lower part of the bed side below the wood and up 90 degrees into the drivers side rear fender. And then blocked off the other tubes coming of the original fuel sending unit. Hope this helps.
flyingdet444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
joedoh

for a fuel pump, a regular old TBI pump will be fine, but you will need a small pressure regulator at the carb because the TBI pump is around 12psi and you will only need about 3. fuel pressure is usually set by the carb, but with 12psi you may overpower the float. Carter makes a nice carb FPR.

the three lines are supply (big one) return (little one) and charcoal canister, which depending on your frame year could be in the front or the back. I had a mazda with a weber, and there was a special fitting that came with the setup that let any pressure more than 3psi use the return line, it was pretty neat.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
8man

Thanks guys.

Joe, the charcoal line could be run to a canister any place outside the tank, right?

The main fuel line will run to the electric pump and then on through a filter to the carb, right?

The return line will run from the electric pump back to the tank, right?

What does the FPR stand for?

I apologize for more questions, but I'm not sure on how to retrofit these lines.

Thanks,
Robert
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
Driver_WT

I have used this bypass regulator before with good results (was regulating a fuel injection in-tank pump at 38 psi down to carb at 6 psi). https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...SABEgIBZPD_BwE

I located this about 2' from the carb, line from fuel pump runs to the fuel pressure regulator, return line runs from the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) back to the tank.

I also made a charcoal filter from a 2" by 18" tube, filled it with fish tank charcoal, ran the vent line from the fuel tank to one end of the home made charcoal cannister, and put a cap with holes drilled in it on the other end.

Wade
Old 12-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
joedoh

Quote:
Joe, the charcoal line could be run to a canister any place outside the tank, right?
yes, or not at all, a charcoal canister just keeps the truck from smelling like gas in hot weather. you could use it as just a tank vent, I was explaining what the s10 used it for.

Quote:
The main fuel line will run to the electric pump and then on through a filter to the carb, right?
yep
Quote:
The return line will run from the electric pump back to the tank, right?
you said you wanted an in tank pump, so I suggested the TBI truck pump on 86-93 TBI trucks, it will attach right to the pump/level sender assembly you have now.

the return line would run from the fuel pressure regulator back to the tank, you will want a fuel pressure regulator to limit the pressure to the carb to about 3 - 3.5 psi. it could probably take more, the way the float shuts off the inlet when the float bowl is full, but for most applications a regulator is a good idea. Carter makes a great one for carbs, lots of flow. some regulators limit pressure by limited FLOW, so its important to get a good one

Quote:
What does the FPR stand for?
fuel pressure regulator

Quote:
I apologize for more questions, but I'm not sure on how to retrofit these lines.
no worries man, that is what the forum is for!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Tempest67

Thanks for asking 8man, I am getting close to running lines and was wondering myself, and thanks to all that answered
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote