The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
gigamanx

Re: Chris(NJ)'s, where am I going with this, already built build

Nicely done on the latches. I got brand new original style ones and got them lined up real nice. Still had to slam those doors sometimes to get the ratchet to catch. These look much smoother!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
Chris(NJ)

Sorry guys, for some reason I didn't see a notification that there was replies to this thread. Anyway......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
Can you give the specs on the wheels and tires? Looks great!
The wheels are 15" American Racing Torq Thrust w/ MasterCraft Avenger Tires (235/70/15 on back, 215/70/15 up front)

I should really spend a minute and type out the mods to the truck up in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Nicely done on the latches. I got brand new original style ones and got them lined up real nice. Still had to slam those doors sometimes to get the ratchet to catch. These look much smoother!
Thanks! Took some time to get them dialed in, but love them. Although still can't get the gf to stop slamming her door, as much as I tell her it's not necessary any more
Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #3
Chris(NJ)

Noticed a whole lot of fuel leaking from under the truck a couple days ago. This was after filling up and parking on an incline. Sending unit's gasket is toast! Pulled the bed out to make life easier. I want to see if NAPA has a gasket otherwise I need to order one. Straight forward replacement once I get the part. I just need to drive around to burn some fuel so it's easier to lower and raise
On a side note, am I the only one who thinks not having the sending unit and pump accessible w/o having to drop the tank is crazy? (thats a rhetorical question) I would rather lift a couple bed panels every time. It'd make life even easier if I had a bed like those guys w/ the raised bed that lifts as one piece. Makes maintenance even easier yet! ANyway, I digress.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
joedoh

great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
On a side note, am I the only one who thinks not having the sending unit and pump accessible w/o having to drop the tank is crazy? (thats a rhetorical question)
not rhetorical at all, I think it has to do with the effort needed to make the bed lift vs the effort needed to pull the bed when you have a problem. I can get a bed loose in under 15 minutes, and where my fuel sender/pickup is located (front drivers side) a tilt bed would only make it slightly more accessible. tilt beds are cool, but I havent ever seen one that lifts high enough to make working under it easier for anything further forward than the very back.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #5
Chris(NJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
great stuff!

not rhetorical at all, I think it has to do with the effort needed to make the bed lift vs the effort needed to pull the bed when you have a problem. I can get a bed loose in under 15 minutes, and where my fuel sender/pickup is located (front drivers side) a tilt bed would only make it slightly more accessible. tilt beds are cool, but I havent ever seen one that lifts high enough to make working under it easier for anything further forward than the very back.
I haven't actually seen one of those tilt beds in person, so I'm sure you're right and that it doesn't give a whole lot of access. As I was wiping down the truck I spent some time thinking about something similar though. Is what I have vs what would make life easier (in this case, lets say, a different gas tank w/ the 2 units further forward of the cross member), worth the cost when taking in to consideration how many times I really need to access them. Or do I leave it as-is and take the extra time to simply undo 1 wire, 2 hoses and 4 bolts, and save hundreds of dollars. Just thinking out loud, really.
But it's the people who think of this stuff ahead of time and go through the effort of addressing details like this, that I give credit to. That's what really separates some builders.
What gas tank are you running? Any pics of your setup?