The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
michael bustamante

Fuel tank questions.

Yes I know this is like beating a dead horse! LOL I've done some research as I have the past year so about the gas tank and I just have a question. So I am ditching my Wrangler gas tank due to the fact that it's kind of small and leaves a lot of room where it sits and is a pretty small tank and the filler neck is only an inch wide. So I am thinking about using the 87 Blazer tank. does anybody have any pictures of the setup for this so I could see how it looks? Also is it an S10 Blazer tank or a full size Blazer tank?
Old 04-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: Fuel tank questions.

anyone?
Old 04-27-2020, 11:43 PM   #3
CarlsLQ9SS

I done some research on it and came up with nothing, so I went ahead and bought the wrangler tank for mine.
CarlsLQ9SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:44 AM   #4
prodjay10

What you putting this in?

If I remember correctly, the rear most crossmember would have to come out for it to fit up against the frame. Otherwise I would have to drop it down lower than I'd like. I have the tank and didn't want to do this so I went with the wrangler tank. 1inch filler neck is not an issue at all. And at 17mpg, I get about 250 miles which is about a weeks worth of driving for me. I also like stopping at the gas station. I usually get a couple people asking about my truck every time I stop.

I may still go with the suburban tank and just have it drop down low. I haven't decided.
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:31 AM   #5
Leonard1

I put an 87 suburban tank in my long bed, it fits great and works great. 25 gallon, I think the part # is GM15C. I wasn't sure it would fit in a swb, but check out this thread, others say it will: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=766312
Leonard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
verdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
Yes I know this is like beating a dead horse! LOL I've done some research as I have the past year so about the gas tank and I just have a question. So I am ditching my Wrangler gas tank due to the fact that it's kind of small and leaves a lot of room where it sits and is a pretty small tank and the filler neck is only an inch wide. So I am thinking about using the 87 Blazer tank. does anybody have any pictures of the setup for this so I could see how it looks? Also is it an S10 Blazer tank or a full size Blazer tank?
Not sure what vehicle you're using it in but the S10 blazer tank may be too wide for any C10s other than 60-62. When I ran my 383, I used a 78 Chevy van tank that fit perfect. For the LS engine, I bought an '87 van tank but it hung much too low for my taste. Ended up with the 94 S10 Blazer tank that
has worked out great. There are at least one or two trucks I've seen on the forum running the '87 full size blazer tanks for certain. We'll be installing an LM7/4L60E into my brother's 66 swb Big window in the next month or so and the '87 K5 tank may be what we use.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
Irish1941

I used a 87-91 Blazer 31 gal tank on a short bed.
Took fair amount of work for it to fit. Had to take out the spare carrier crossmember, move rear member all way to end of the frame, add 3" to the rear frame rail and notch the cross sill on bed itself.
And remember the filler is on passenger side. Worked for my idea but some might not like it.

I wanted it as tucked up as possible. Tank hangs down 7" from bottom of the frame rail.
The filler neck comes over the rail and landed exactly where I wanted it.
I welded a '72 Blazer interior fill hole inside the bed then made the neck exit like a K5 but on passenger side.
I wanted it to look stock, just on the wrong side. It all lined perfectly.

Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
michael bustamante

cool thank you guys this is exactly the info i needed! i have the wrangler tank now and i had to put 1 inch spacers because the sender unit bumps the bed crossrail. anyone else have this issue?
oh and i m sorry guys!! i thought you all could read my mind and see inside my garage! lol
its a 67 short stepside
Old 05-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #9
hooperca

Irish1941...can you post some pics of what you did concerning extending the frame rails and relocating the rear member? Did that impact your bumper location or mounting? I like the way you did the filler - looks good!

I put the same tank in my short bed and was wondering about how it would affect the bumper, tailgate, etc. Unfortunately, mine is FAR from finished. Due to a relocation, life, etc. it’ll likely be a while before I can get back on it.

Thanks for the help.
hooperca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
jessemthompson

I used to run the blazer 25 gallon tank in my shortbed. Pics in the

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=669899
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #11
70inbville

here's a question, how about a new 69 Camaro tank with a bed fill tube welded in place? could you then raise it to flush with the frame not using the drop license plate option " which I think is cool" but able to raise it higher for a lowered truck?
70inbville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

I used a Rick's tank, with bed fill option. Made in USA (Texas). Awesome tank.

Name:  IMG_6902.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6903.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6988.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  64.7 KB

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote