The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2020, 12:10 AM   #1
1G1YY

About to refit cab, but...

I have my 62 chassis fitted with a 350 (TPI and HEI) and T700R all installed with pinion angle, shortened t shaft and rear mount all done.
All of the steering, fuel lines, exhaust etc is fitted up.
The old motor had a HEI dizzy fitted with no clearance issues between it and the firewall. I am ready to refit cab soon but I am unsure as to whether I need to modify the trans tunnel and low hump cover so that the trans will fit.
I don't have "rear" or "front" eng mount holes on the frame.
I set all up using the existing frame holes for the front eng mounts not knowing if they were in the rearward or forward location.
The only indicator I have is that the old dist fitted ok.
Can someone please let me know if I can go ahead and refit the cab without modifying the firewall?
Alternatively could I have measurements of the eng mount bolt(s) thru frame to a location towards front of chassis with a T700R fitted?
TIA

Last edited by 1G1YY; 11-17-2020 at 07:03 AM.
1G1YY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Re: About to refit cab, but...

The only clearance issues we have with the 700R4 is the lip that is in the trans tunnel. It needs to be bent back about 1/4". If your engine is in the rear holes there will be one hole on the frame in front of the mounts. Also I don't know what year your truck is so I am going off of 64 66. years.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:23 AM   #3
1G1YY

Thanks for the reply..
I have a 62 swb stepper with a 73 up front end that was in there when I bought it.
The lip I see in the tunnel is about 1/4in wide at the base of a pressed protrusion adjacent to the hump mount.
This may be different to later models.
There are no other holes on the chassis where engine mount bolts could fit. Thinking about it I will grind the lip off and hope all will fit.
If it doesn't then I will be in trouble...
Old 11-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
LT1 Burb

I had a 66 with a 700R4 in it and had no issues, you should be in the 2 front motor mount holes .
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:48 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '60-'62 frames do not have holes in the frame rails for side engine mounts like the '63+ frames do. Without knowing exactly what side engine mounts were used on the OP's truck and in what relation to an original installation it is, it is quite difficult to say what if any clearance issues he may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
I had a 66 with a 700R4 in it and had no issues, you should be in the 2 front motor mount holes .
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
1G1YY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The '60-'62 frames do not have holes in the frame rails for side engine mounts like the '63+ frames do. Without knowing exactly what side engine mounts were used on the OP's truck and in what relation to an original installation it is, it is quite difficult to say what if any clearance issues he may have.
What you say makes total sense...there are no extra holes on top of the chassis, only those that were drilled for this front end swap.
The perch style mounts are fixed by 2 bolts thru the top of the frame and a 3rd bolt is attached to the later model x-member.
The rear top vertical mount bolt is in line with the front x-member horizontal bolt.
As I said earlier the only thing I do know with respect to engine for or aft location is that the engine fitted to my truck had a HEI distributor fitted to it, so I can only assume that the engine was located further forward than those who cannot fit a HEI in their bay because of firewall proximity.
I am hoping that this and the 3degrees or so tilt that I have will allow the 700R to fit.
I will nevertheless grind back the thin 1/4 or so inch lip before attempting to refit the cab.
Thanks again to those who have offered their take on this.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
LT1 Burb

Sorry, missed the 62 part.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote