The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2021, 06:50 AM   #1
Minkota

Lights Out

My 67 Stepper suddenly has no Dash Light, No Parking Lights, and No Brake Lights. The only lights that work are the Headlights, License Plate Light, and the Dome Light when I turn the Headlight Switch (no door switches). Turn Signals stay on and do not flash when activated.

Previous owner replaced the steering wheel right before I acquired it, so I am thinking that may be the first place to start.

Sadly, it has an aftermarket (Chrome) Column, and I do not know the brand to try and get a new Signal Switch if that turns out to be the problem.

Does anyone have a Wiring Schematic they could share? Thanks
Minkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:14 AM   #2
A1971Blazer

Re: Lights Out

you can download these
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185856
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:59 AM   #3
Minkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
Thanks, seems like the problem on that post was connected to the Turn Signal Switch but they never post their solution.

Anyone know what Turn Signal Switch is typically used in the aftermarket columns. it doesn't return after a corner so I would like to replace it regardless ( I feel like the problem is most likely there since its the last thing that was touched.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:06 AM   #4
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post
Thanks, seems like the problem on that post was connected to the Turn Signal Switch but they never post their solution.

Anyone know what Turn Signal Switch is typically used in the aftermarket columns. it doesn't return after a corner so I would like to replace it regardless ( I feel like the problem is most likely there since its the last thing that was touched.
That was just a link to the wiring diagrams
Unplug the turn signal switch at the connector under the dash and see if that makes a difference. Some of the lights that you mention that aren't working would not be related to the turn signal switch.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
Minkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
That was just a link to the wiring diagrams
Unplug the turn signal switch at the connector under the dash and see if that makes a difference. Some of the lights that you mention that aren't working would not be related to the turn signal switch.
Appreciate the suggestion. I will give that a try tonight.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #6
BigBird05

That turn signal switch will not fix all of your problems. How old is the head light switch? You should start there to see if any voltage is coming out of it.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
Minkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
That turn signal switch will not fix all of your problems. How old is the head light switch? You should start there to see if any voltage is coming out of it.
I have not tested anything yet (hoping I will be able to tonight). When I turn the Headlights on I get Headlights and License Plate Lite so I assumed Power is going coming out since both Headlight and Tag light are coming on. That was why I was looking for a Diagram so I can verify how it is wired.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:38 PM   #8
RustyPile

I have an aftermarket tilt column.. I can't speak for yours, but mine has a late model (73 up) turn signal switch with the long flat connector plug.. As for where to start with your problem --- Obtain the proper wiring diagram and testing tools -- DVM, test light, etc. First step is to test fuses and replace all bad ones.. The tag light is powered by the tail lights which receive power from the headlight switch.. The working tag light means you have tail light voltage to the rear. Check the tail lights for proper ground and presence of voltage to the bulb sockets..
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:47 PM   #9
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I got a shorten tilt column from a (now banned) forum member, that started to blow the fuse over an over that killed the brake lights, dome light, and dash when engaging the turn signals (long flat connector type). So if you have something going on with your turn signal I'd assume you be blown'n the fuse'n!

I replaced it with one from GMCPauls that is correct for our truck (half-moon). Though the back brake lights will not engage unless I am actively pushing in the red hazard switch. Not really happy and GMCPaul's not really giving my much love on it (meaning I'll have to buy another one it seems).

But at least I am not blowing fuses anymore - month later I keep randomly turning on my dome light during the day to insure I haven't blown the fuse, not so good driving with no brake lights!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 03-15-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:47 AM   #10
Minkota

So I figured out that my Dash Lights are wired so they only come on when the Ignition is on.

I put the Left turn signal on and I had very dim Rear only parking lights, but no turn signal front or rear, and the dash flashes with the turn signal flasher.

I put the Right turn signal on and there is nothing.

I disconnected the turn signal wiring to remove the switch from the circuit and I still have No Parking lights (front ort rear) and No Brake Lights.

I used a DVM and confirmed all the Fuses are good. The Brake Switch appears to be new (I am assuming with some of the new parts, this must be an issue the previous owner might have been chasing as well)

It got dark so I had to call it quits for the night, I will be doing a little more investigating tonight.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #11
Grumpy old man

Start checking and cleaning all the ground wires , Don't forget the ones on the back of the core support .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
Minkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Start checking and cleaning all the ground wires , Don't forget the ones on the back of the core support .
Will Do. Thanks
Old 03-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If you disconnect the turn signal switch (TSS), you will for certain have no brake lights. The current runs from the brake light switch up the column. The current runs to the brake lights uninterrupted when the TSS is in the middle position, and is interrupted by the flasher element when the TSS is in a left or right turn position.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #14
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
I replaced it with one from GMCPauls that is correct for our truck (half-moon). Though the back brake lights will not engage unless I am actively pushing in the red hazard switch. Not really happy and GMCPaul's not really giving my much love on it (meaning I'll have to buy another one it seems).
We sell a lot of non-tilt and tilt steering column replacement parts in both Repro and GM NOS and this is one of the knocks on the repro/aftermarket replacement t/s switches, you either get a good one or a not so good one. We have a tilt specific GM NOS turn signal switch available in the below linked "Several GM NOS 67-72 Truck Parts" f/s thread, the t/s switch is listed as part/item #16. Have a look if interested in replacing your replacement repro aftermarket switch with a GM Delco switch and harness. Mel

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=798288
Classic Bowties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

thank you for that information and link - I'll give that some thought. I suppose you pay for what you get (double price for NOS / Original part).

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote