The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
pjmoreland

Re: Washer Pump Size Issue

I took a look under my dash, and that bracket is not removable. However, I believe you use the extra hole circled below instead of the hole in the end of the metal base. You have to remove the black plastic cover to get to it. I believe there was a long screw and a spacer provided with my pump.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I took a look under my dash, and that bracket is not removable. However, I believe you use the extra hole circled below instead of the hole in the end of the metal base. You have to remove the black plastic cover to get to it. I believe there was a long screw and a spacer provided with my pump.
Hmmm, yea I noticed that hole as well but didn't consider it because of the height difference relative to the mounting point on the motor. It did not come with a spacer either.

On a different note, I was able to break my old pump free and clean everything up in it today. It was actually stuck.... But all of the seals looked and felt like new in the actual pump portion. Weird. I am going to try it as well to see if it works now.

I may also try that RockAuto pump as well since he mentioned that the part numbers were different for the earlier vehicles.

I will figure something out for sure one way or another.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six862m6 View Post
Hmmm, yea I noticed that hole as well but didn't consider it because of the height difference relative to the mounting point on the motor. It did not come with a spacer either.

On a different note, I was able to break my old pump free and clean everything up in it today. It was actually stuck.... But all of the seals looked and felt like new in the actual pump portion. Weird. I am going to try it as well to see if it works now.

I may also try that RockAuto pump as well since he mentioned that the part numbers were different for the earlier vehicles.

I will figure something out for sure one way or another.
Well, no joy with the original pump. Once I remounted it to the motor it worked fine for a bit and then it did the same thing as how I found it: essentially the little slider was free moving however the actual pump (can see through the housing on this particular pump) stopped moving again, I am guessing due to "freezing" up. I took the cover off the LMC pump this evening also just to look... they are two very different mechanisms... under the covers. I will post pics in a bit.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #4
Six862m6

So here are the pictures of the pumps with the covers off side by side. Maybe I shouldn't have said VERY different..... there are obviously quite a few similarities but they are still a long way from being the same thing.

And yea, essentially I can no longer move the gear/plunger mechanism on my old pump again after it was cycled a dozen times or so with the wiper motor gear.

I'm leaning more toward just getting a spacer for the LMC pump at this time given what I found about the RockAuto pump. Unless someone wants to chime in on that particular Goodmark pump (which may be exactly what I currently have from LMC), I don't think I want to chance buying theirs as their picture of it looks more like my LMC pump than my truck's original pump.

Anyone have or know where I can get a spacer for the LMC pump? If nothing else I can use washers as spacers if I have to.....

Oh.... the other thing to note is that the gears on the motors and the mating "nubs" on the pumps are not the same. On my truck's original motor the gear is metal and the nub on the pump is plastic...... on the LMC pump the nub is metal but the pump DID come with a new plastic gear for the motor.... yea, I won't be attempting to change the gears out as it definitely does not want to come off....
Attached Images