The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2022, 06:43 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

What are the gear positions for a non-tilt 71 automatic please

Can anyone tell me what the correct positions are and what they're for please?

Thanks Rod, this.......
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-05-2022 at 08:29 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #2
RodnRudy

Re: What are the gear positions for a non-tilt 71 automatic please

Here you go: #1 not used, if the shift arm goes past the end of the plate it is out of adjustment. #2 Park position. #3 reverse. #5 Drive, second and low as you move the shift lever down.
The shift arm in your pic that has the dimple and where you attach the rod going to the tranny controls the shift positions. When you pull the shift lever on the column back that shift arm moves forward and when you go to park position the dimple rests above the protrusion on the plate. That locks it in park. Move the column lever back and lower it down to the reverse position. Move the lever down again and the dimple will detent in the slot #4, neutral. Pull the column lever back and lower it to the next position it will be in drive. continue pulling it down will detent it to 2nd and again to low. You will feel the tranny detent into each gear when you move the column lever up or down.
Hope that wasn't too confusing.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:28 PM   #3
RodnRudy

Oh, And I call that plate with the slot the detent plate.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:28 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Right on Rod or Rudy thank you. I updated the OP. I'm trying to figure out my gear shift, it's off and/or I am, and that will help a lot. Tore this down five years ago, first timer. I'm doing this with the turn sig housing off, seems to me that housing has nothing to do with it. I take that back, it might have lots to do with it since the housing locks into place....Pending.........stuff

Near as I can tell, the only adjustment is the adjuster ring on front. Other than that the shift tube only fits on way. I grease everything, so that aint it.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-05-2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:46 PM   #5
pjmoreland

I believe you are supposed to be able to shift between N and D without pulling back (both in the notch). That's how I've always set my trucks up, and the indicator lines up perfectly. I believe it is described in the service manual. Let me see if I can find it.

As a side note, this is the feature that I pay the most attention to when adjusting the linkage. I get it so shifting between N and D hits the stops of the notch evenly in both directions.

Last edited by pjmoreland; 02-05-2022 at 08:56 PM.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:54 PM   #6
pjmoreland

Take a look at Step 6 from the service manual.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:18 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thank you, I'll study that. Near as I can tell I was wrong about the turn signal housing having nothing to do with it, because the housing locks into place so acts as a back stop, otherwise it was loose and no sign of park, I finally got her home. For 60 years I wondered how the adjuster ring worked. A moment ago is the first time I've seen it in action, stuff has to be assembled first