The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2022, 11:56 AM   #1
Leverhead

Diff build w Yukon dura grip....cant get C clip back in

Hello all. Have an interesting issue with my 64 fleetside 1/2 ton. Rear is a '65 30 spline open 3 :73 and needed a rebuild so went with Yukon LSD dura grip and new motive gears (3:73 again). Got it all set up and cant get the c clip back in the driver side axle....spring plate is in the way. No issues with axle seal or bearing...just seems to have run out of splines and cant get the axle in any further.

Used the same carrier in my 75 blazer w no issues....longer axles but same 12 bolt housing. Yukon lists this carrier for all 12 bolts 65 and up.

Pic attached...going to make some calls. Will post findings.

Any have this issue before with a posi unit and how did you overcome?
Attached Images

Leverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Diff build w Yukon dura grip....cant get C clip back in

Wow, so it's a heck of time to ask but are they the same length axles?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 01:37 PM   #3
Leverhead

Yes ...same length...30 3/4. I've switched both sides. Same result.

Called Yukon...they said they get calls about the clutch plate being out of alignment and blocking the axle. Not the case as the axle has already passed the plate. The center pin was in the entire time I set it up so it cant move. Then they said to contact the retailer.

They also said to remove the spring assembly with big pliers or something but I dont think that can be done while the assembly is in the car with the ring gear installed.

Called retailer but now they are out of the office until Mar 15.

Going to pull it this morning and check if there is something blocking the axle ...like bad machining on the side gear (splines) or something.

Thanks for responding
Old 03-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhead View Post
Yes ...same length...30 3/4. I've switched both sides. Same result.

Called Yukon...they said they get calls about the clutch plate being out of alignment and blocking the axle. Not the case as the axle has already passed the plate. The center pin was in the entire time I set it up so it cant move. Then they said to contact the retailer.

They also said to remove the spring assembly with big pliers or something but I dont think that can be done while the assembly is in the car with the ring gear installed.

Called retailer but now they are out of the office until Mar 15.

Going to pull it this morning and check if there is something blocking the axle ...like bad machining on the side gear (splines) or something.

Thanks for responding
Yep, it's got to be something like that.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #5
Leverhead

Took it out and set it on the axle....no shims or bearing cap....Groove for clip just clears. So it seems with the bearing cap and shims installed, the clutch pack and spider gear combo are jutting out so much as to block any clearance for the c clip. pic attached

Shims are @ .074....avg to less than...time to call yukon again.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #6
Leverhead

Talked to Yukon rep again...says I have to handle it with the retailer. .....and they are out for 2 weeks. Soooooooo.......
Old 03-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #7
Leverhead

Got hold of retailer....says to pry back on plate to get the clip in. Says can be normal occurance with posi units.....????

If I got the clip in that way i dont know how I could get it back out again...

Be nice if there was a tool to allow compress and install/removal of spring pack
while in the car.

He wont take it back because its not a warranty issue.

Think I may rebuild the original open carrier and use that ...and put this away for another 70 and later 12 bolt....or re-sell.

Would be interesting to hear if any others have had this experience.....
Old 03-03-2022, 05:57 PM   #8
The Rocknrod

I didn't, but I'm just one guy so who knows really.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:03 AM   #9
nsb29

I just did mine with motive 3-73 gears don’t remember the manufacture of my limited slip as I replaced it 8 years ago and there’s no manufacturer markings but had no such issues. yours looks like a series 4 Carrier what is your back lash also how much shim on passenger side versus driver. I’m no gear guy and had my share of problems but don’t understand why you could get a clip on it out of the housing seem like sum thing isn’t centered, pwith the C clip in place on passenger side is the seal riding on the axle where it should be I’m sure you have made sure that the seal on the driver side is installed all the way and not holding you up

Last edited by nsb29; 03-04-2022 at 04:13 PM.
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:10 PM   #10
350TacoZilla

I could see 2 possible fixes. 1. could be done at home and 2. would require the help of a machinist.

1.Could you grind a bit of a ramp into the side plate so the clip slides in? In pics it looks like its just a combination of that plate thickness and the shim pack screwing up the alignment, no worries of the clip falling out later since the center pin would hold it in.

2. Have a machinist make a shim for the ring gear instead of shimming the carrier, basically slide the carrier back over tight against the housing and just shim the ring gear to get gear mesh instead of carrier, then shim passenger side of carrier enough to center it.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:38 PM   #11
nsb29

I think the problem is in the carrier he has used that model and manufacture with out a problem. they make a spacer so you can run a series 4 gears on a series 3 carrier but in this case it would just show up on the other end.
But I’m not a gear guy
Old 04-03-2022, 04:56 PM   #12
PJ66C20

Is the axle bearing pressed all the way on?

If it is, and Yukon says they have an issue with that, which sounds like a BS answer on their part, maybe you can make a small spreader or a way to pry against the springs to pop the clip on.
Or, even better would be to install C-clip eliminators. Then you'll never see your wheel and axle passing you after a good burn out.
PJ66C20 is offline   Reply With Quote