The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2022, 05:47 PM   #1
jabborabbo

Re: Restoration insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I keep telling my wife it's cheaper than bars and strip clubs. Or even golf!

….
The problem is that with bars, strip clubs, and golf, the money is spent and the wife doesn’t see it all piled up in trucks, motorcycles, or whatever is piled up…she looks at the pile and thinks “New carpet…That pile would carpet the house!”

Money spent on bars, strip clubs or golf doesn’t visibly get piled up like that….
Old 05-23-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabborabbo View Post
The problem is that with bars, strip clubs, and golf, the money is spent and the wife doesn’t see it all piled up in trucks, motorcycles, or whatever is piled up…she looks at the pile and thinks “New carpet…That pile would carpet the house!”

Money spent on bars, strip clubs or golf doesn’t visibly get piled up like that….
Well, this does ring true in a sense.

I'm in the carpet cleaning industry. Upon going to one customer's house, she says her husband is deceased and this will be one of her last times needing the carpet cleaned, as she's having it replaced after she sells "his old truck".

In the garage was a pristine, bagged 56 Ford F100... I estimated well north of 100k invested.

So, she wanted the truck gone... for new carpet.

Wonderful customer btw... she really did know what it was and spent time talking with me about it. Noone in her family knew anything about them, and he sent it out to get everything done so she didn't want the hassle or to be taken advantage of.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:18 PM   #3
68 C10 Driver

cj847; I have been working on my project 68 stepside for almost 2 years now. Yes, life often makes you momentarily redirect, but I try to do as much as I can each week.

To me, the joy in the project (I am doing a frame-off restoration) are the little rabbit holes I go down as I am doing the repairs. One repair will uncover another item needing attention, but these are after all, 50 year old trucks.

I am leaning more than I ever thought I would, which gives me that unique connection with my truck. There is not a single square inch of the truck I have not stripped, sanded, removed rust, sanded, welded, primed, or even seam sealed...no one knows my truck better than I. But I think all of us here have similar stories to share.

I guess I am saying, yes, there will be frustration during your build, but that is momentary. The final outcome makes it all worth while.

I say don't over think it, enjoy the experience challenging yourself as you build your truck; it will be fun and rewarding.

Good luck on your project, I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Cheers-
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote